Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #1

Things that NEED replaced on grom clones

I have a Vader arriving in a few weeks. Already researching what breaks frequently.

Would love some help, input, etc compiling a list, and links to the appropriate replacement or upgrade parts.

I am resisting the urge to just buy a mikuni carburetor (or Chinese knock off...) before the bike ever arrives.

More concerned with things like the chain and engine mounts.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s input. This will be my first Chinese bike, and first street bike in more than 5 years.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

The knock off carb kit is a great upgrade for the money, along with removing all the emissions.

They come with upgraded engine mount bolts now so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Chain is a good upgrade, the factory one keeps stretching.

The only thing I have had to replace was the rear axle because I stripped the stock one.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Most gas these days has ethanol in it ,which is terrible on whatever it is they make chinese fuel lines out of , unless you have access to ethanol free gas i would immediately switch the fuel line from the tank to the carb out with some silicone based fuel line , you can get it in the color of your choice on Ebay for about 5 bucks ,3"16" size is what you need to look for.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 09-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

Wheel bearings. Stock ones are crap. Even if it rolls and they dont feel bad, theyre still cheap bearings. Id rather not have a wheel lock up on me.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
Most gas these days has ethanol in it ,which is terrible on whatever it is they make chinese fuel lines out of , unless you have access to ethanol free gas i would immediately switch the fuel line from the tank to the carb out with some silicone based fuel line , you can get it in the color of your choice on Ebay for about 5 bucks ,3"16" size is what you need to look for.
I actually do have ethanol free 90 octane locally. It’s like $3.60/gallon, but i keep 5-10 gallons of it on hand for my SV650 race bike anyway, so that shouldn’t be a problem, unless i have to fill up while out riding.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

So I just got a new 2020 Vader about a month ago, so I can just tell you the things that are flaws or went wrong so far.

- First, Don't sweat the engine bolts! They actually came with some 12.9 grade GOOD bolts this time, so they seemed to fix that issue.

- The speedometer will most likely be about 7-10mph off and there is no way to calibrate it that I know if yet. You'll see videos on Youtube about holding both buttons quickly after turning the key to the on position or holding the left button before you turn the key on, but that only works on the earlier gauge clusters.

- My starter solenoid went out on my bike after about 50 miles, but I made a video on how to fix that if it happens to you until you get the 9$ part:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- I know you don't want to buy a knock off carb, but man...it is a MUST with these bikes. It's only a matter of time before the thing rattles off from the cheap rivots they put in them. Cheap knock offs are like 35$:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-...72.m2749.l2649

Make sure you get a set of jets too so you can tune the carb when the temps or elevation changes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything I'm telling you on here fits as they are running on my bike. I've been a pretty big guinea pig with this bike as far as buying parts and everything has fit. I still won't ever talk bad about these bikes (This is my second one in 5 years). They are awesome, CHEAP, little starter bikes that will help you learn the in's and out's of them while having fun riding. If you have any questions, you can ask me on here as I've pretty much messed with most parts of the bike.

Here's my Youtube link too. I've been posting the progress on my bike recently and any issues I may have been having.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BobbyLaneMedic

Last edited by Medicbobs; 09-21-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:21 PM   #7

Fix your YouTube link. It just opens our own youtube page.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #8

Awesome. Anyone feel that a 17 tooth front sprocket is a must? I will have a passenger at times, so i don’t want to do that immediately...

Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
The knock off carb kit is a great upgrade for the money, along with removing all the emissions.

They come with upgraded engine mount bolts now so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Chain is a good upgrade, the factory one keeps stretching.

The only thing I have had to replace was the rear axle because I stripped the stock one.

I haven’t seen my bike yet to know exactly what you mean by “removing all the emissions” junk, but i expect that means i will need to buy a new exhaust, yes?

I don’t have the tools or welding skills to make my own pipe at the moment...

Old 09-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK97 View Post
I haven’t seen my bike yet to know exactly what you mean by “removing all the emissions” junk, but i expect that means i will need to buy a new exhaust, yes?

No, they have a giant, complicated airbox up front, with vacuum lines galore, and a few purge valves and evaporative emissions solenoids.

You can remove it all, put block off vac caps on open ports and such and just run a pod filter on your upgraded VM22 carb.

Unless your State has emissions requirements and inspections you need to pass. Then I guess put it all back on for the inspection then take it off again when home.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
No, they have a giant, complicated airbox up front, with vacuum lines galore, and a few purge valves and evaporative emissions solenoids.

You can remove it all, put block off vac caps on open ports and such and just run a pod filter on your upgraded VM22 carb.

Unless your State has emissions requirements and inspections you need to pass. Then I guess put it all back on for the inspection then take it off again when home.
Oh you meant intake stuff. I was (obviously, based on my post) thinking exhaust.

Better bearings sound like a good call. Will have to get sizes on those. I crashed my SV at the track on Saturday, so it’s done for the season, but OMRL has races 10/4 where i can see how the Vader struggles in stock trim 😂

Old 09-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:

The problem is the evap system. Biggest issue is fuel flow due to the often pinched or restricted tank venting. The carburetor is also set lean and has tamper screws, and its undersized.

If you want a exhaust this one bolts right on though. You just need to add a 51mm slip on muffler and make a simple L bracket to mount the muffler.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Ex...=grom+&sr=8-30

I run a 16t sprocket so I still have good torque while being able to hit top speed and keep the revs down. 17t is probably ok as long as the rider is light weight, which I'm not. Probably not the best choice if you have a passenger either.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Oh you meant intake stuff. I was (obviously, based on my post) thinking exhaust.

Better bearings sound like a good call. Will have to get sizes on those. I crashed my SV at the track on Saturday, so it’s done for the season, but OMRL has races 10/4 where i can see how the Vader struggles in stock trim 😂
You can just get grom bearings. They are the same size and come in sets.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Fix your YouTube link. It just opens our own youtube page.
Fixed. Thanks for the catch.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #15

On my HC... the steering headstem bearings where way too tight making them notchy when turning handlebars lock-to-lock. I was able to disassemble, regrease and properly tighten them to fix it. Some replace the cheap bearings with better stem bearings... good option too.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)