Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Storm 250 Bashan sprocket question

Im looking to downsize the rear sprocket to one with less teeth i was wondering if anyone had which sprockets will work any help would be greatly appreciated. Also i am looking at mikuni carbs just not sure which is the right fit.

Last edited by MotoJoey; 05-11-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #2

You'd need to remove the rear sprocket and measure it to be sure, but I'm guessing that an XR185 model would do the trick.

This is the carb I think would work for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKUNI-30mm-...4d987b&vxp=mtr

There's even this very informative video.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #3

Not having any luck with the rear sprockets, thinking about just getting a bigger front one and maybe that will do what i need it to do. Found a couple of carbs on eBay but not willing to pay what they want lol if it becomes a problem then ill change it but for now ill stick with the carb i got.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

Well... start by figuring out what you currently got. Count the teeth on the front and rear sprocket. Then count the links on the chain... should be a 428 chain, but confirm.

I just bought a 17T front sprocket to replace my 15T stock one. Measure the diameter of the geared shaft that front sprocket slides one. Probably a 20mm.

Then order a sprocket and chain... install... and enjoy.

So what's wrong with your carb? Not running right? I've been tuning on the stock PZ30 (Keihin clone) and jets for it are easily available online.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

I counted 16 front and 50 rear i might have miscounted though but im working on getting the right set now and no not really any problems just when i first start in the morning takes a minute to get going so was thinking maybe a better carb would fix the problem.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJoey View Post
I counted 16 front and 50 rear i might have miscounted though but im working on getting the right set now and no not really any problems just when i first start in the morning takes a minute to get going so was thinking maybe a better carb would fix the problem.
Doesn't necessarily need a different carb. Maybe just a fatter slow jet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #7

Im not looking to go rejet the carb route seems like it'd be easier just to buy a mikuni that would work and put it on there.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #8

The Mikuni clone carbs don't come with the correct stock jet sizes... so you got to change those anyways. Plus don't forget to add a new pilot and main jet to your tallied expense list. Or just rejet your existing one... PZ30?

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 05-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #9

Im with you on the carb.. Mine stinks at starting if it's chilly, and kick start doesn't feel like it turns the engine over more than one revolution. Also I was hoping you could find an answer to the sprocket issue. My rear is stamped F50 so 50 teeth is correct. Not touched the front but may be the only option for these. I get over 60with the wife on the back but I worry that it's just buzzing too high when I'm solo. One guy on here got a sprocket that was what he wanted and just drilled new holes to fit.. used old one as a template. I may do that if I ever get through the million other projects I have started.
1995 Harley Davidson Chopper build from ground up.
1983 Yamaha XJ900 REBUILT!
1971 Triumph Daytona 500 - Restored
1987 Yamaha FJ1200

Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #10

For now i am going to leave the sprockets the way they are just got done doing a chain adjustment and as for the carb im gonna get one when i have the money the cold starting is the only problem once its been run it starts just fine.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #11

You might check that the choke is closing all the way. Easy to do by pulling the knob all the way out (or moving the lever all the way) then see if the lever on the carb can be moved farther. If so, actuate the choke lever on the side of the carb as far as it will go and see if it starts easy when cold.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
The Mikuni clone carbs don't come with the correct stock jet sizes... so you got to change those anyways. Plus don't forget to add a new pilot and main jet to your tallied expense list. Or just rejet your existing one... PZ30?
X2.

A Mikuni is easy to find jets for, but it will not be correct out of the box. Once you dig in, you'll realize just how easy jet changes are.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #13

I used a JT 45t and that works well. I tried the 17t front and that did not do much. Using the 17 45 combo might be too much
Be a Piggy!

Old 05-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #14

Ill have to look into the jets im pretty handy with a wrench so i would imagine it wouldn't be to difficult to do, and as for the sprocket im looking at some with 46 teeth for the rear so i might take that route instead of changing just the rear and after measuring everything i have determined i have a 428 chain setup in case anyone was wondering.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #15

Yep, 428. RK sells a chain they call a 428 and it is actually a 425.

I was out when I posted my previous reply, but now on my laptop I have bookmarks for some cools stuff.

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/ to help you figure your gears.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/5198 (1979 xr185)

Then you go to amazon and find a seller, my rear sprocket was right around $20 with free shipping (prime) I had to take a file to the center hold and dress it out a little bit from the stamping edges. Basically a perfect fit. The center clip is tough to get off. Get a good snap ring tool. The kind for installing piston rings is good.

The 17t front just barely clears the cases in front. Gives a slight gear change, about 6%.

The 45T rear was the ticket. I can now keep up with traffic, and still have plenty of power for the trail.
Be a Piggy!