Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 02:47 AM   #1

TMEC200 chain rubbing frame anyone else?

just purchased a tmec 200. came out of the box mostly assembled only had to put together the front end.

problem is chain is resting on the frame on the back end.....

in this pic you can clearly see where the chain sits on the frame and then angles down toward the rear sprocket

tried to take it for a ride but after on a few miles chain started to eat into the frame as you can see (i am holding up the chain off of the frame on the back side so you can see the samage)

in this picture you can see the chain on the lower chain roller but also on the frame right after the roller

more pics showing chain sitting on frame

Old 09-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #2

the only way to get the chain to clear the frame is if the chain is all the way up near the rear axle bolt.

i removed the tire to get a better look around and see exactly what it would take to get the chain to clear the frame.

with the chain held in that position near the rear axle i can get it to clear the frame by a few mm.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:10 AM   #3

got a bigger chain roller from excalibur but it lasted for about 2 miles.

i had to adjust the rear wheel and chain tension the get the new chain roller on but it went on and did hold the chain off the frame about 1mm. like i said worked for about 2 miles the chain made its way with it

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/...psaxu7zfby.jpg

Old 09-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #4

does anyone agree that this is a warranty issue?

came like this out of the box. i did not need to assemble the rear end came fully assembled from the factory.

any suggestions?

hopefully i get warrantied for this defective bike.

not safe obviously. imagine if i went for a father ride and lower chain roller fully worn through and chain get caught up on frame. i would get seriously injured or die.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:52 AM   #5

We have a Tmec expert on the forum and I am sure he will have some thoughts on this for you.

Did you purchase from Excalibur?

What is Excalibur telling you?

Why did it eat up the roller, was the roller seized?

You might try a chain guide as opposed to a chain roller.

Here is a link to several different rollers and guides.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...rs=spell_check

/

Old 09-26-2015, 03:56 AM   #6

It is almost as if your rear swing arm/tire isn't lifted up high enough in the rear. Make sure your rear shock is installed correctly.

/

Old 09-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #7

When you sit on the bike... the rear swing arm comes up putting the chain at a different angle than it is when the bike is sitting (no weight on it). That is also why you must adjust chain tension with your weight on the seat... to ensure the suspension is compressed and the swing arm/chain is at it's riding angle.

That first picture of the bike sitting on the side stand... no weight on the seat... the chain looks way too tight. That could easily explain why the chain is eating the roller so fast... too tight.

Also... that one picture of the chain roller... the metal mount for the roller doesn't look like it got welded on properly... allowing the roller to not sit as high as it should be. Which would lift the chain a tad higher and it would probably clear the swing arm.

Hopefully someone with a TMEC/Denali can confirm that roller. But don't forget to properly check/set your chain tension (with weight on the bike).

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 09-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

The correct way to adjust the chain is to align the centers of the countershaft sprocket, swing arm pivot bolt, and rear axle, then adjust the chain to 10 to 20 mm free play. This may require providing a beer or two to your big fat neighbor in exchange for him/her sitting on your bike, or removing the bolt from the top or bottom of the shock, or using a strap through the wheel and over the seat. The third option only works on bikes with nothing in the way of the strap, and a sturdy seat.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

yup i own several motorcycles did chain adjustment with a rider sitting on the bike.

even with weight on the bike the chain just barely clears the frame by about 1mm.

as you can see in the pics with the chain flopping around during riding/suspension travel while riding it does eat into the frame.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #10

again this is not just the chain coming close to the frame it actually has a tension like the frame is acting as the lower chain roller.

again chain was adjusted with rider (210lbs) sitting on the bike when doing freeplay check.

does everyone really think this is a chain adjustment issue? are you not seeing the pictures?

Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
The correct way to adjust the chain is to align the centers of the countershaft sprocket, swing arm pivot bolt, and rear axle, then adjust the chain to 10 to 20 mm free play. This may require providing a beer or two to your big fat neighbor in exchange for him/her sitting on your bike, or removing the bolt from the top or bottom of the shock, or using a strap through the wheel and over the seat. The third option only works on bikes with nothing in the way of the strap, and a sturdy seat.
if the chain was adjusted improperly withOUT a rider on the bike the chain would likely be too tight vs too lose.

The tighter the chain the more chances for it to get clearance off the frame. (nice and tight after the front sprocket not sagging down on the frame)

If the chain was too lose it would sag down even more after the front sprocket resting itself even more over the frame.

so as you can see it has nothing to do with the chain being too tight/lose, it is a clearance issue.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
When you sit on the bike... the rear swing arm comes up putting the chain at a different angle than it is when the bike is sitting (no weight on it). That is also why you must adjust chain tension with your weight on the seat... to ensure the suspension is compressed and the swing arm/chain is at it's riding angle.

That first picture of the bike sitting on the side stand... no weight on the seat... the chain looks way too tight. That could easily explain why the chain is eating the roller so fast... too tight.

Also... that one picture of the chain roller... the metal mount for the roller doesn't look like it got welded on properly... allowing the roller to not sit as high as it should be. Which would lift the chain a tad higher and it would probably clear the swing arm.

Hopefully someone with a TMEC/Denali can confirm that roller. But don't forget to properly check/set your chain tension (with weight on the bike).

Cheers!
thank you the chain tension was set properly.

when i installed the new bigger lower chain roller i had to loosen everything a readjust for correct tension on the chain.

i make all my adjustments and after i have someone sit on the bike and check the chain tension while he is sitting on the bike.

BTW i own/rent/service/maintain

2x - honda crf230L
2x - suzuki dr650
1x - kawasaki KLR250
2x - (dirt only) CRF230F

lots of practice setting chain tension not my 1st rodeo.

I own a motorcycle/scooter rental business. chain adjustment is probably one of the easiest item on my list.

you all forgot to mention to use an allen wrench between the chain and rear sprocket and rotate tire foward to set everything tight after finding correct chain adjuster settings on both sides of the rear axle bolt. millions of videos on how to accomplish this on Utube.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
It is almost as if your rear swing arm/tire isn't lifted up high enough in the rear. Make sure your rear shock is installed correctly.

/
thank rear shock has no adjustments and only can be put on 1 way.

1 bolt on top

1 bolt on bottom

no adjusters, lowering options, preload setting, just bolt on.

the rear shock was very lost and i needed to add a washer to stop the whole rear end from moving around.

added a thick washer and fixed the problem

http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/ru....mp4.html?o=17

Old 09-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #14

if anyone else has the same model and can take a pic for me to show the difference in chain height off the frame without anyone on the bike that would help me out.

I'm sure there should be clearance off the frame without a rider.

when the rider sits on the bike and the swingarm angle changes there would be even more frame clearance to make up for chain flop and suspension travel wile riding/in motion.

just need some pics to verify this.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #15

see this angle it's like the swingarm is too low or the motor is too low