Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #46

The only concern that comes to mind with the Gio is the lack of compression release. If you slowly lick past TDC on compression, your kicker should be ok. The rest of the motor is very close to an OHC Honda 200.

The factory isn't likely to ever build high compression mills, because they retain so many in China and export several to India, etc. High compression requires high octane to thwart detonation, and I bet it's hard to come by in developing nations.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #47

I have NO idea what the compression ratio is in this engine, but this is what I had done.

0.20" off the head. I plained the head and not the cylinder because plaining the head would raise the CR a little more than the cylinder due to the shape of the combustion chamber. It wasn't much of an advantage over the cylinder, but it was a little.

After checking out clearances and measuring valve height, I had the piston fly cut a touch (I can't remember how much, but it wasn't much)

Then when assembling it, I took the middle shim out of the head gasket set (0.10") for a total drop of 0.30 at ful torque down.

The bike runs like a cat with it's tail on fire, but I need to get my hands on a camshaft chain tensioner...mine broke and I have NO idea where to source one without buying a whole engine from Gio.

Here is a short clip of it running

Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #48

It sounds good! Do you have pics of the parts you need? I'll be happy to compare it with XR200 stuff.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #49

Thanks weld! I was doing some looking and it appears that the XR230 cam tensioner will fit like a glove.

The XR200 uses a different style with the bolt protruding downward into the motor, where as teh XR230 has a tensioner that protrudes horizontally into the cylinder.

Once I install this piece, break it in on conventional oil and switch to synthetic again, I am going to pit it against another X31 that is totally stock as a comparison. I should walk all over it, but reliability may be an issue. Time will tell on that.

I hope to have it up and running within the next two weeks, but I quit my job as a trucker and started working in the woods for a bit until an excavator operating job opens up at a company I applied for.

On another note, I bouht a Poulan P3314 for $50 the other day....BRAND NEW IN THE BOX. It never touched a piece of wood!!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyexponent
On another note, I bouht a Poulan P3314 for $50 the other day....BRAND NEW IN THE BOX. It never touched a piece of wood!!!!
Wow! Good score. Princess Auto often has Poulan surplus stuff, so they might be a good source for parts.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #51

Well, I had it running the other day. I went out this morning, put all the plastics on it and decided to fire it up for a minute or two.....no fire.

Great! Now what?! I tested for spark....nothing. She is getting fuel, has good compression but no spark.

I got fed up and let it sit there, I need to pull the plastics back off it to pull the tank so I can get a look at the wiring underneath.

I think the coil or rectifier has had enough and quit.

Also, I think I just bought the sister bike to mine for $250...owner says it has "issues"....we'll see what issues it has.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #52

Weld, you want to see what little 33cc Poulan go! I hauled the miffler off, gutted it, bored out the outlet holes in it and bolted it back on the saw.....LOUD as a rock concert, but it made a difference in the way it cuts.

I also bought a Powersharp system for it. It seems to work REAL well a new sharpening system.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #53

Do you have any safety switches left in the system? They were originally equipped with switches on the brake lever and brake pedal, IIRC. Perhaps one has gone South.

Good news on the Poulan! I figured that the little motor would be more sensitive to back pressure, but obviously not. I might try that on my 33cc leaf blower. Please tell us about the Powersharp system.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #54

The powersharp is a special bar and chain set you buy for the saw.

I opted for the 18" although most Poulan haters said I would regret it. They were wrong. The powersharp is available in 14", 16" and 18" lengths.

Now, you buy the bar. It comes with a plastic piece that snaps onto the bar via two stud holed near the end.

When you open the plastic piece, you will see there are a couple grooves in there that something will fit into, but you have no idea what yet. Open your chain (you need to buy separately) and you will find a grinding stone in a half moon shape, and you will find it will pop right into that groove inside the plastic snap on sharpener.

Install the chain and bar. It goes on normally. Run the saw until it gets dull....this is where it all pays off.

Shut the saw down, snap the plastic piece on over the bar through the stud holes. Now start the saw, run it full throttle and push the plastic piece into the ground until you see sparks...count to 3 and let off. Your chain is now RAZOR sharp!!

Shut the saw down, remove the sharpener and go back to work.

It's litterally THAT fast...and it works!

http://www.powersharp.com/

I am not one to fall for gimmicks, but I got caught up in this and I tell you, I will NEVER look back at a conventional chain unless I want to ruin it by cutting stumps close to the ground, get into some HARD beech wood or something like that.

I can whip up a quick video next time I take my saw out, but it's as easy as the site says it is!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #55

Wow! That's even a lot faster than a dedicated bench sharpener like the on at Princess. Thanks for letting us know about Powersharp.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #56

I got it running again!

I though that with only 20 - 25 hours on the bike from last season, that there is NO WAY an electrical part went bad THAT fast. I started with the Ignition box. Pulled the plugs out, sprayed contact cleaner in there, a little dielectric grease and plugged it back in.

2 seconds of cranking on the starter...she fired right up!

Now, it's just the matter of getting enough money for the cam chain tensioner adn I will be able to really test this thing out.

I think today I am going to pull all the plugs apart, clean them and put dielectric grease in them....just for safe measure.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #57

Good news!

Have you found a cheap source for the tensioner? Have you tried www.bikebandit.com ?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #58

Well, to be honnest I haven't been looking an awful lot. I had the bike out last night to warm it up and set the valves up on it, but I never really drove it much. I am afraid of knocking the timing chain off and ruining my engine.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #59

Ok, so last Thursday I gave up trying to source a cam chain tensioner. Honda didn't want to help me with out a bike VIN number, so I told them what I thought of their high school graduate parts counter guys and left.

What had happened to my tensioner was the spring that hold the adjuster's tension came unwound and out of the body of the adjuster.

After about 45 minutes, 2 beers and using a pair of needle nose pliers and a seal pick, I managed to get the cam tansioner all back together, and functioning properly.

So, the time had come to see what that bike would REALLY do.

I fired it up, drove it around at just above idle for 10 minutes or so, just to warm her up. Then I went around my house, and across the walkway towards the road, while my fiance and her friend were sitting in the livingroom that overlooked where I was riding.

I was slowly driving in first, just above idle and I twisted my wrist back ALL the way...WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!! The bike spun the tire in the gravel, then pisked up the front wheel. I NARROWLY missed the upright supports that hold the patio up abd I got teh wheel back down. Shiftred into second and ripped her open again. The front wheel comes up, I am spinning the tire madle AGAIN until I hit the patio stone walkway...burned rubber on the stones and I had to let off...I was coming up to the road and parked cars fairly quickly!!

I let my best riend drive it. He drov eit stock last summer and he can;t believe the difference. The power isn't all too much more than a stock bike until 2/3 of teh RPM sweep, then it just goes like it';s got NOS.

I will get some videos up as soon as I can, but with me working as much as I am, it might be a week or two.

I have to rebuild my buddy's gio 125 (rings are bad) and it needs teh cylinder honed. I have the ability, technology....we just don't want to spend a whole bunch of $$ on this one.

Anyone know where I can get a top end kit for that bike? (2010 gio 125 piston, rings and a WHOLE gasket set?)

Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #60

What kind of beer?

Sounds like it has been a worthwhile experiment. Glad to hear it's running well.

How do you know the 125 rings are bad? Does it have a loss of power, or does it just smoke? If the power is ok, try changing the valve stem seals first. If you need to do the top end, search "125 dirt bike cylinder" on eBay, and continue searching until you find a complete top end kit, like this one: Dirt Pit Bike 1P52FMI Engine Cylinder Kit 125cc Parts . Make sure it doesn't say GY6 in the title.