Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to kmoore
1978 honda goldwing gl1000 (now with pics)

im in the process of rebuilding a 78 goldwing that has gone through a housefire and left for dead in the weeds for 15 years... so far everything has gone fairly well... untill now... i have burnt up 3 starters in 2 days silinoid has burnt out and now will not turn over... (motor is not locked)

with this being a 32 year old bike i expect issues to come up (even more so with its history) so just a quick shot in the dark here anyone got one of these for parts as i am needing several...

Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #2

I'm not really familiar with 'wings, but did all of those starters fail with the same solenoid, or have you tried more than one? Have you tried bench testing the burned starters?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #3

I have an 1800. Different animal. I have no quick answer, I wish I did BUT....

Even if the GL was free I'd doubt that it would make economic sense to restore it. It would be a good project, but after the sitting and the fire I don't think you'd ever get your money out of it. I see decent GL's here going CHEAP. Here's an example of a great bike at a good price with no issues.

http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/2138547243.html

I'd be inclined to get something like this and use the current bike for parts.

JMHO. :roll:

Bill

Old 01-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #4

doc

well the price of the 78 gl free price for paint and body work free main things damaged in the fire was bags and fairings which im not using anyway (someone said im doing a cafe racer type bike what ever that is)
and mild electrical melting all in all the damage wasnt that bad so i figure after everything is said and done i might have 250-300 in the bike and it will be just as i want it and i know what i have...

weld

yes they were all with the same silinoid and yes i did bench test them then broke them down and compleatly disassembled them and cleaned everything inside with a wire brush and wire wheel on my bench grinder...
however im going to pull my plugs and make sure my cylenders arent filled with gas as my fuel pump diaphram developed a hole and started leaking and i just replaced the manual pump with a low volume electric 9psi which i later found was too much and was blowing fuel past the needles... after i swapped to a smaller 4psi pump is when it started having starter issues (major dragging) and then just stopped turning with starter...

not a pic of mine but the basic jist of what mine will look like this is a 76 where mine is a 78

Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #5

The early GL's make great cafe racers. Indeed they were not designed from the start as tourers, but superbikes. In their day they were in some regards the fastest bikes in the world.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #6

I would agree that 9psi is beyond what a float needle and seat can handle, and the same is true for cars (7psi being the typical outer limit). It sounds like the solenoid was the weak link if the cylinders were hydro-locked. 8O Good job it didn't try to start.

The tanks on the early GL's lend themselves well to the cafe style, although it could also be a street tracker. Swap the bars for a set of clip-ons, fabricate a cowl behind a solo seat, de-chrome it and ride the wheels off of it.

This isn't a GL, but it has the vibe I'm trying to explain:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #7

so far ive upgraded to an 81 tank so it looks a little diffrent. stripped all bags and most chrome.. got a nice set of ape hangers and just goin straight old school on it.. also runnin a set of straight pipes so far all money im out is for a new set of ngk plugs which i think im fixin to have to replace... had the bike fired up and it seemed to want to run great but getting way to much fuel... and the electric pump never shut off so the fuel had to go somewhere so im figuring a cylinder or too is full... done turned off too cold to work on it so im waiting for spring and income taxes so i can purchase the parts i need... i can get everything i need off of ebay but i hate using ebay...

Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #8

adding a few pics 12 to be exact so be warned (mods feel free to edit size)

Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

I'd like one of those. Yours has the wheels I'd choose.

Are those the apes or the stock bars?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #10

they are a slightly larger than stock bar im not using the apes due to clearence issues with lines and cables... like i said for going through what its been through its not in that bad of shape... and yes i love the rims mainly cause i hate wires

Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #11

just a few more pics of other bikes in my familys stable

my mothers 06 tank vision r-3

stepdads 83 goldwing

brothers unknow polaris 250 quad in the background is an 84 500 shadow/nighthawk

Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #12

I like the drag bars on the Tank. Is it a 250?

That 'Wing is in really nice shape, although I'd rather have yours as a bare bones bike.

Looks like some fab work on the Polaris; did your brother make the rack?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #13

yes the tank is a 250 and i believe thoes are the stock bars...

yes its in great shape to be so old and it runs like a friggin top...

as far as the quad goes it is how he purchased it not running and in 100 pieces i wouldnt have paid $250 for it