Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Lego, if your transfer case is servo-controlled, then it would seem to not be a fully manual box, especially if you can shift on the fly. In the old days, you had to come to a complete stop, get out and lock / unlock the hubs and then shift the transfer case.

I'd have no problem doing that, for the amount of times per year that you actually shift in and out of 4WD. The old system is very reliable, and the hubs aren't connected when not in use, saving a bit of fuel.
Yea your right, it's not fully manual. The lever goes directly to the case put there is still some kind of servos both to allow 4hi engagment on the fly and I guess to lock the half shafts in. While I do like the simplicity of the old locking hubs, when it's raining out or you just come off a gravel road on to some slick dirt/mud road it's nice not to have to get out and then track all that mud back into your truck and or loose your momentum.

Missouri has good back roads (interstates are horrible) , but Kansas still has a lot of dirt roads (interstates are great) that turn to grease as soon as it rains. Some of them are just impassable. It's kinda wierd, the road can be flat as a pancake, you have aggressive tires, locking diffs (my truck doesn't have locking diffs) and still struggle for every foot down the road. The soil is some kind of quasi clay/dirt stuff that could be used as fithwheel grease.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #17

With some soils, one rotation of the wheels and the grooves are filled with dirt/mud and you're effectively on slicks. I don't think there's anything a guy can do about that. The soil where I lived in Kalifornia was similar, and when wet would suck you in and you'd need a pull in no time flat.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
With some soils, one rotation of the wheels and the grooves are filled with dirt/mud and you're effectively on slicks. I don't think there's anything a guy can do about that. The soil where I lived in Kalifornia was similar, and when wet would suck you in and you'd need a pull in no time flat.
Yep, thats excactly what happens and if I try to spin them clean it just causes me to slide towards the ditches. Glad somebody else has come across that problem.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #19

My old ranger was all manual. Had to get out and lock the hubs and move the lever myself. No problems with that one. In the winter I just left the hubs locked unless I needed to drive on the highway.

Current ranger is 2wd.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #20

I think my automatic hubs work fine. How would a guy know if they didn't?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I think my automatic hubs work fine. How would a guy know if they didn't?
Your fronts wouldn't spin. Take it on a gravel road, put it in 4hi or lo and floor it. You should see or feel the fronts kicking gravel. Some vehicles you have to back up 10-25 feet to get the hubs to lock and likewise to get them unlocked. There are so many different designs it just depends on the vehicle.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #22

Yep. If you had a bad hub you would have no 4x4. Most people will swap them to manual for hard off-road use. The hold up fine to snow and light use.

I think the push button problems tend to be in the electronics used to engage to transfer case.

Much prefer a lever the physically changes the gears.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #23

My hubs are good them. She definitly spins all 4 when I stick my head out the window and punch in in the snow.