Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #1

PLEASE HELP, GIO REBEL STARTING BYITSELF WHEN BATT CONNECTED

Hi Guys,

Sorry i never got no pictures up yet, i just got back from a trip couple days ago and i was out driving the bike testing it out.

So far i have changed out the plug to ngk plug and swaped the oil for castrol 4 stroke 10w-40 oil and it was working great.
I also have mukini carb ordered, performance cdi, performance coil, performance air and fuel filter and a couple other tweeks.

My problem im having right now is the bike is trying to start itself. My battery died yesterday and i put it on trickle charge over night last night and when i put the battery in to the bike today and tryed to start it , it seems like the starter just locked on. so i turned the key off, took it out, AND hit the kill switch and there it nothing that will stop it from turning over and trying to start. i disconnected the battery but as soon as the battery gets a connection it trying to start again and the starter just keeps turning over, i dont have the brake on or the key in either. Does ANYBODY know what is causing this or how to fix it. I just ordered all these parts and i want to get them on and see how it runs with them . Even when the bike finally starts the starter just keeps turning over :?:

PLEASE HELP!!! :(

Old 09-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #2

Hey Guys,

Just got off the phone with a gio tech and he says it the solenoid and its locked on, told me to hit it a couple times and see if that works or replace it, does this sound about right, cause he wants to charge me 35 bucks for it, dont wanna buy wrong part

Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmac
Hey Guys,

Just got off the phone with a gio tech and he says it the solenoid and its locked on, told me to hit it a couple times and see if that works or replace it, does this sound about right, cause he wants to charge me 35 bucks for it, dont wanna buy wrong part
Wild!

Never heard of this happening. It's obviously screwed up. Hitting it can't hurt.

I'd check to see if something is making the poles touch together. Maybe disconnecting the wires from the solenoid and cleaning the contacts and re-attaching is in order, before ordering the part.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #4

Solenoid is my guess, but don't feel like you need to buy one from Gio. An old Ford style solenoid would likely work great and last a long time.

Would an explanation of what a solenoid does help you?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #5

SOLENOID

switching to a FORD solenoid would require a person to know what to do as far as hooking up the wires from the key switch to activate the solenoid to start.. just go to your local after market dealer and buy a proper solenoid.. or from ebay.. where are you as I could ship you one and you could just paypal me.. please PM me if you want one shipped to you.. keep it stock.. check to make sure you do not have a wire touching at the solenoid ... the one from the battery is it touching the one going to the starter???? the other thing is to dis-connect the plug with the wires from the starter switch.. incase it is the starter switch that is causing it to tell the solenoid to work.. so ... disconnect the starting plug wires at the solenoid.. and if it does not start by itself.. then this is the problem.. if it still starts.. then the solenoid is the problem..

Old 09-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #6

well, it is the solenoid, gave er a bang er two with the se of grips and voila!

emailed gio and there going to warrenty one for me so that will be alright, have to cover shipping but hey! lol

keep posted to new topic with pics, mikuni carb will be in tomorrow!