Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #1

New windscreen...

After much head-scratching, gnashing of teeth and general angst...
I decided to go with the Gustafsson's +4 screen in a "light smoke" color.
Why: readily available, taller than Skidmarx, not as complicated as the MadStad variable mounting system (and I don't think the stock screen would have held up under supporting the Madstad brackets).
Good:
The screen has a bit of kick-up at the top.
Has decreased the amount of buffeting and wind noise. The wind-blast hits right at the faceshield and the helmet can handle that. A +6 incher would more than likely be "perfect" for my height.
Bad:
You gotta drill your own holes. I cracked #4 (out of 6) :oops: , it was easily glued and the rest were fine. No idea what happened. I had a new, sharp drill bit, was just letting the weight of the drill run the bit in...it went "snick"... :x dang it! You can just see it, top bolt, clutch side, sorta milky at the bolt head.

Pics...

Old 08-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #2

I like the way it looks. The bike is sharp too. I bet you get lots of questions about it. Especialy the one "What is it?".

Old 08-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #3

very nice, love the color and the windscreen compliments the bike very well..

dont know if i could do the saddle bags, but to each their own.. its still a very nice bike.. would love to see it after a wash n wax sitting out in the sun

Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I like the way it looks. The bike is sharp too. I bet you get lots of questions about it. Especialy the one "What is it?".
Yep, "Is that a BMW?" comes across a lot. Then I tell them it's an "MZ" :?
you know, East German factory, owned by a Malaysian corporation, designed in England, Yamaha motor and Italian suspension and body work... 8O

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
very nice, love the color and the windscreen compliments the bike verywell..
dont know if i could do the saddle bags, but to each their own.. its still a very nice bike.. would love to see it after a wash n wax sitting out in the sun
I've gotta get some wax on it. :wink:
Supposedly "Honda San Marino Red" according to the PO.
It's almost copper colored with some fine metal flake when the sun hits just right.
Thanks,
Bill

PS: I wasn't much on bags til I started commuting regularly. The hard bags are great for just throwing things in and going. Plus they come off easily and I've got the "sport" bike in place...
B

Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #5

it looks like almost the color as my firered mustang, before this stang i had a silver 98 stang and didnt care to much for silver, before that i had a torino red pearl acura integra.. the torino red and firered both have metal flakes in it.. but damn after a good wash and hand wax in the sun light it just pops and gleams pure sexyness...

those colors the firered and torino red pearl are the nicest colors for cars and trucks and even bikes.. its the only color ive come across that just pops out at you in the sun after a good hand wax.. my next stang will be a red on par with those 2, as well as the bike i get will be red..

Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #6

Great bike. I love that engine. I dig big singles. Gotta get another KLR someday. Enjoy!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #7

Your bike looks really good. 8)

The drill bit you need is called a Lip and Spur bit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit I use 'em to drill holes in fiberglass, and they're perfect each time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Your bike looks really good. 8)
The drill bit you need is called a Lip and Spur bit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit I use 'em to drill holes in fiberglass, and they're perfect each time.
Thanks, it's a fun ride.
Yep. They had 'em for sale on the Gustafsson's site, I just cheaped out :oops: saved a whole $7... :roll:
Bill

Old 08-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #9

The windshield, and your motorcycle look great, Bill! Please remind me; how does a person purchase a Skorpion in the United States?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
The windshield, and your motorcycle look great, Bill! Please remind me; how does a person purchase a Skorpion in the United States?
Spud
Craigslist, Ebay, etc...and they're getting rare.
The Skorpions went out of production in 2004 and the company went under at the end of 2009.
It has been resurrected by some former employees and racers. Not sure what type of bikes will be produced.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #11

[quote="BillR"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Spud
Craigslist, Ebay, etc...and they're getting rare, in the USA anyway.

The Skorpions went out of production in 2004 and the company went under at the end of 2009.
It has been resurrected by some former employees and racers. Not sure what type of bikes will be produced. They had a great little 125 that put out 15hp at 9k RPM, rumor that may come back.
Bill