Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Did you notice his footwear! :roll:

Spud 8O
I laughed out loud when I saw one his Crocs fly over the guard rail. Great choice of shoes for riding.

Thanks for the vids Cal.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:

Spud 8O
I laughed out loud when I saw one his Crocs fly over the guard rail. Great choice of shoes for riding.

Thanks for the vids Cal.
Hahaha I was going to comment on the crocs and got distrated, that was pretty funny, in a stupid way.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:

Spud 8O

Thanks for the vids Cal.
Hahaha I was going to comment on the crocs and got distrated, that was pretty funny, in a stupid way.
Once again, I say he was a very lucky young man to be wearing a backpack! 8O The way his lower back hit the guardrail post, he would probably be paralyzed if he had not been wearing the backpack. Also, note how the base of his head hits the guardrail! 8O The helmet saved his life.

Spud 8O

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #19

hey, at least his right knee had protection.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'm surprised to see that black sportbike lowside at a very modest lean angle at fairly low speed. I wonder if there was oil on the pavement. It looks like my 400 or Gold Wing could have handled that speed/angle with room to spare.
Scary! 8O
I'm betting on "pilot error". Watch the slow-mo, at about 50 seconds, he turned his front wheel to the left??
Looked to be a bit close to the white line and he wanted to move left.
Should'a pushed on the left bar.
To quote my MSF instructor, "If you think you're into a curve too hot and you ain't dragging parts, you can ride it out. Grab the brakes or try to turn toward the curve and you go down."
Bill

Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #21

That's the kind of concept that's very difficult to explain to a new rider. If you have enough forward momentum (not even in a turn) and you apply slight pressure to the right handgrip, you'll go right. It's totally counter-intuitive.

As I understand it, it's because the force that is applied to a rotating mass or gyro is realized 90 degrees from point of input. Or something like that. :wink:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #22

This steering technique is called countersteering. Once you are riding fast enough for centrifugal force to take effect, you must steer the motorcycle using countersteering. The technique is simple. To turn left, press forward on the left handlebar. To turn right, press forward on the right handlebar. Press left, and go left. Press right, and go right.

This technique is very easy to use, but it is more difficult to explain how it works. Because of the forward rake of the front wheel, when you press left, the contact patch of the front wheel shifts to the left. This causes the motorcycle to lean to the left. The leftward lean initiates a left turn. However, once the left turn begins, centrifugal force, and the forward motion of the motorcycle cause the contact patch of the front wheel to align itself once more, and the front wheel actually ends up pointing into the curve. Although you might not realize it, you are constantly making minor adjustments to maintain this delicate equilibrium every time you countersteer. This entire process is thoroughly explained in the excellent book, More Proficient Motorcycling, Mastering the Ride, by David L. Hough.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #23

Thanks Spud, I learned something new. I thought that counter steering was the act of locking the bars in a high speed turn in the opposite direction of the turn, just like flat track racers.