Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #1

Anybody ever dyno their bike?

A local shop (McNews Automotive in Dillsburg, PA www.mcnewsautomotive.com ) recently aquired a motorcycle dyno. I've been toying with the idea of going down there for a few pulls just to see what she can do. They also say that they can tune carb'd motorcycles. Although, I'm not sure there's much they can tune on a bone stock 163FML-2. But at least they could check and possibly adjust the fuel mixture to a safe piont if necessary. But at the same time, I'd probably swap on an open element air filter and drill a few holes in the rear muffler before going. That way they can hopefully adjust the air/fuel to match the new breathability.

Yea, I know this is way more than overkill for a Chinese bike worth only a few hundred $'s. I'd do it more for the fun and experimentation value than anything else. Plus, I've been dealing with the McNews guys for years and think they'd get a kick out of tuning a 200cc beater.

Oh, and don't even bring up "power adders". I've been seriously tempted in rigging up a 15 shot of nitrous so I' can add a "push to pass" button next to the throttle for those hairy rush hour commute moments.

Anybody else have theirs on a dyno?

Anybody know what the drivetrain loss on a bike is? I've heard/read that a chain is an extremely efficient means for transporting power so I imagine the loss is pretty low (as compared to 20-30% loss for a typical car).

Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #2

Man that would be great! I like the nitrous idea too. A dry 5hp shot system would be the ticket. I don't think a 16 hp motor will take a 15 hp shot of nitrous 8O . Better yet, just rig up a hand held nitrous shooter, when you get ready to pass, reach down and give the air filter a shot :? . Or.......... maybe not.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #3

Yea, a 15 shot would definately be way too much. I have to say, I'm not really that serious about it so, guys, don't flame me on it. Its just in my nature to test the limits of things mechanical. My car, a 2001 Focus, had only 11,000 miles on it before I added a turbo, swapped out all the suspension, then proceeded to take it to the race tracks (VIR, Summit Point & BeaveRun) for lapping/HPDE days. Heck, I took it to its first auto-x with only 600 miles on the odometer. Its eye opening the first time you hit the rev limiter on a 3 week old car. Needless to say, I'm not typically easy on vehicles.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguini66
Needless to say, I'm not typically easy on vehicles.
I resemble that statement!
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)