Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #1

ATV/Dirtbike exhaust

Has anyone ever dissected a muffler/silencer on one of these Chinese made atv's or dirtbikes in an effort to get a little more power without spending $500 on an aftermarket exhaust? Many of them seem to be very similar or identical in appearance.
This is the muffler on my atv

and a close-up of the end cap

I'm wondering if its just a matter of drilling out the rivets and pulling out a core and making some modifications to it to make it a little more free flowing. Judging from the size of the tailpipe exiting the muffler, its pretty restricted. If anyone has done anything like this or can direct me to a website that possibly has some cutaway type illustrations or photos, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #2

I compared the exhaust on my Flywing 150cc dirtbike to the TaoTao 250's exhaust. The flywing's exhaust is a straight-through design and apparently has no baffles in it at all. here is a pic of the flywing's pipe...

Compared to the TaoTao 250's exhaust, this one is much larger and I was able to stick a rod up the tailpipe of the Flywing and it went all the way through the muffler into the exhaust pipe. Apparently there's no spark arrestor either :?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

I say drill out the rivets and have a look. A little craft work and you could have a more free flowing (and louder) exaust.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #4

You can drill out the rivets, but I think they're just for looks. You'll likely find that the end cap is welded on just like the other end.

I've recently ground the welds on a very similar muffler, and it wasn't terrible inside. I'll try to post some pics later.

Do you have access to a MIG welder?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #5

I dont have access to a welder unfortunately. I probably will pretty soon though. If that cap is only on there for looks then I'll probably get the Giomonster pipe that was pointed out. Some welding will still need to be done if I go that route as well, because it looks as if the gio pipe needs to attach to a flange.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #6

If you plan to buy a muffler, your money is better spent on an FMF like Spud's. It's easy to install and likely won't require welding. On top of that, the FMF is re-packable and it has a USFS stamp.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer