Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #1

Bike not starting after being out in heavy rain for a day

I drove my Lifan lf200gy6 to work in the morning and it rained heavily on it all day. The bike does not appear to be getting a spark as there is gas in it but it will not start with foot crank or jump start. I have drained the battery down low trying to start it with electric button. I replaced the spark plug and still nothing. Any thoughts??

Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #2

i would check the fuse maybe it got shorted with water. if you have a meter you could see if you were getting voltage to cdi from stator.

other members will be able to give better advice .

i hope this helps shawn

Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #3

A similar thing happened to mine, not sure if it's applicable though. I left it out and it got rained on, the problem turned out to be the ignition switch, the rain got in there and jacked something up. It's a little bit different of a scenario where mine was acting like a dead battery but it might be a place to start.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #4

My guess is the ignition switch or starter button area?

My son's Yamaha PW50 would do that if he hit a big puddle or after I washed it. Sometimes would take days for it to dry out, but once I figured out the problem I sealed it up with silicone and now I don't have a problem with it anymore. Also had a semi truck that's fog lamps would come on everytime it rained, found out is was pretty much the same thing, water would get into the relay section and short the relay, turning the foglights on.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #5

disconnect your cut off switch leads and try again, if no use, try and get a spark somewhere (or use a multimeter) but make sure u have a spare fuse, that way you know youve got electricity flowing, check for any wires that have any faults on them like black marks or even melter wires, good look mate

Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #6

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I determined I was getting spark. I trailered it home and I drained the fuel from the tank and carbourator and replaced it with fresh gas. I was able to start it with the kick start after that and once I took it for a drive the battery was fine as well. I am now able to start it with the electric start. Water must have gotten into the fuel but I am not sure how. When I got it home on the trailer I did notice that the sloshing gas was seeping out of the gas cap.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #7

my guess is that the rain water got in at the key slot in the cap. Too bad there isnt a little flap to cover the key slot for such a reason.

Glad you got it going!