Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #46

I simply dumped my chain guard - no tensioner. I haven't noticed any unusual noise.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #47

ya my chain guard just broke off the first time i blow my chain

Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #48

Hey folks......just wanted to pass on my experience with the SA bushing replacement. I completed mine on Sunday and it was a little tougher than I would have expected. They were tight. Pounding on them was a no go. I even had a top line drift punch.
I then went to Waynev's idea for a threaded rod puller. Also a no go. Washers caving in from all the pressure and as much wrench pressure as my body could offer.
My success lay in my decision to use my threaded rod puller to remove only the inner sleeve of the bushings and I could then get my recipro saw with a metal blade into the middle. I cut just through the bushing wall along its length and then i pushed the outer sleeve out with my finger.
The new bushings tapped in just nicely. No coolant required.
Thx to W&G for starting us on this entire upgrade.........waynec

Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #49

You're welcome. I'm glad that you were able to extract the old bushings eventually. In all fairness, my Beast was missing one bushing from the factory, so I just wailed on the remaining bushing with a 5lb sledge.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec
Hey folks......just wanted to pass on my experience with the SA bushing replacement. I completed mine on Sunday and it was a little tougher than I would have expected. They were tight. Pounding on them was a no go. I even had a top line drift punch.
I then went to Waynev's idea for a threaded rod puller. Also a no go. Washers caving in from all the pressure and as much wrench pressure as my body could offer.
My success lay in my decision to use my threaded rod puller to remove only the inner sleeve of the bushings and I could then get my recipro saw with a metal blade into the middle. I cut just through the bushing wall along its length and then i pushed the outer sleeve out with my finger.
The new bushings tapped in just nicely. No coolant required.
Thx to W&G for starting us on this entire upgrade.........waynec
I have a lot of experience pulling bearings and bushings out the of the back of crankshafts, sometimes they can be a real PITA. Reading this reminded me of my time struggling with small block Ford bushings where I had to smash and hack my way through the inside roller bearing, then pull the outside bushing out seperately. Real frustration when trying to 'produce' 6-10 reground ones per day, and waste time destroying crank keys and bushings! Glad you got them out. Perhaps I'll get to prove my worth to W&G when we take on the bushings for my Beast, which he has on ice in his freezer! (the bushings not the quad)

Old 04-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #51

Yep, bring your giant self and your biggest hammer.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Yep, bring your giant self and your biggest hammer.
I used to have a big monster sledge for banging in sleeves. Wonder where it went..

Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #53

I had a heck of a time getting a pair out as well, they just did not want to come out. Replaced them out of the crate too. What worked for me (finally) was using a long bolt with sockets to go in the swing arm and push em out as I tightened the bolt. Took a while but it worked, getting the new Yamaha bushings in was waaaay easier.