Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #61

50cc's are tough to find (I've looked), but I agree they would be ideal. I thought the 110cc with a governor would be ok. I will look for more 50's and 70's though. Thanks for the tips.
Are you guys sure about GIO? I can get a shipping quote on the web site. Thanks for the ehlp though. I've been bidding. opps.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #62

On their ebay auctions it says Canada shipping only.

The 110cc will be okay with close supervison. Like mention before. The governers only work so well. Its sorta of a allow enough for it to move on a hill, but not too much for speed. Tough to set.

The 6 year old will get it in a few hours. A 110 will easily go 25mph.

50cc will go 15-20 maxed out. Plenty fast for little ones.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #63

Thanks. My 6 year old is a wild man, so 25 MPH would be dangerous for him. The 4 year old is ok on his battery op bike for another year.
I check craiglists nearly everyday.
I'm finding that when I do find a 50cc they are as much or more $ than the 100cc.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #64

My daughters 50cc Gio roars even with me on it. Perhaps because it doesn't handle well and is really low to the ground it feels faster. I read somewhere that they are no longer making the 50cc stuff, I don't remember the reason. I think it was Brad from BDI or Konkermotors who mentioned it.

The speed gov's are tricky. If you have them in too far it doesn't rev up initially to get the auto trans to move it up an incline from stop. So you turn it out some and it slowly starts to spool up and then it seems too fast.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 AM   #65

Q makes a 70cc with a governer built into the CDI, not the throttle, although there is one there too. The one on the CDI will allow full throttle for acceleration and climbing, but limit RPMs and top speed. Nifty little system.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Q makes a 70cc with a governer built into the CDI, not the throttle, although there is one there too. The one on the CDI will allow full throttle for acceleration and climbing, but limit RPMs and top speed. Nifty little system.
That would be alot better. The screw limiter is very difficult to set.

It really comes down to being there and supervising them. Some have radio controlled kill switched too. I believe they can be added to any machine.

If you are comfortable putting him on a 90/110 then get one. I think a 6 year old is physically large enough for the machine.

Pomansatv ordered a unit from www.budgetatvs.com that looks really nice.

allen

Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #67

I made a mistake. The Q's a 90. It also has remote kill switch, but I never tried it when I had one for the stepson.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger

If you are comfortable putting him on a 90/110 then get one. I think a 6 year old is physically large enough for the machine.

Pomansatv ordered a unit from www.budgetatvs.com that looks really nice.

allen
After setting my 110cc up and feeling how heavy the darn thing is (~200lbs) I do get twinges of nervousness about throwing my 4, 6 and 8yrs/olds on it. Of course they are chomping at the bit over it. The 4yr/old is actually so adept at operating things that it's scary. My daughter is 8 and typically a safe mother hen. The 6yr old could usually care less. I still want to add a fuel cut-off and in-line fuel filter to it before I gas it up. I need to remove the footwell to check the oil and I want to add some more blue Loctite here and there. I do have lots of gradual inclines on my property so setting that thumb screw "governor" will be tricky I reckon. It does have the key fob kill switch (and siren/horn alert button). Is that rear tether really for walking behind the ATV or can you tie it around a young inexperienced operator?

Joel

Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #69

[quote="PoManzATV"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger

Is that rear tether really for walking behind the ATV or can you tie it around a young inexperienced operator?

Joel
The safety police will tell you it's for walking behind, but man the kid does 7 km/hr you're going to be hoofin it to keep up. The ones on our quads were too short to work tie to the rider, as they would move thier foot and pull it off, or turn the handlebars too far one way and it'd come off. I ended up just not using it and 'hoping for the best'

My 5 year old (now 6) has managed to dump her quad over twice already. Mainly from taking a turn and having her butt slide off, and she tried to hang on to the bars and pulled it over. Other than that they have both been fine, and my girls are girly girls for the most part. My 5 year old nephew rips around on his 110cc like a mad man, and has way better control of his than either my two, and he's much smaller too.

It really depends on your kids.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #70

Maybe the fancy CDI from a Q could be put on a different bike?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #71

The tether is a Daddy excerciser.

Actually, I would just use the remote fob for the kill. That way I can watch from a lawn chair. Just have to make sure they stay within range.

I don't think they have hills in FL either.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #72

Biggest hill in Florida is a highway overpass.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #73

Yeah, no real hills to worry about.
I went with a new Baja 90cc. They were $749 at Pep boys. I told the manager "I'm going to order an atv online for $500, but I'd rather buy from you." I offered $599. He said yes. I feel a little better buying in person (plus it's assembled and I can see it running, no damage) and supporting a local business even if it is a few $ more.
Now I can use the new 90cc as a guide to try and get the 2005 in running condition. That's the plan anyway.
I ran around behind my son for about an hour with the tether, that was enough. He was doing great. The throttle limiter seems to work well (no hills on my property). I'm going to need to watch him closely though. He has no fear and would go full throttle if I let him.
Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you guys know if and when I get the other two going.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #74

Good cal at Pep Boys, both by you and the manager.

It might be wise to investigate a wireless kill switch, once you get the quad running to your satisfaction. Mine was very useful on my daughter's 50.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Yeah, no real hills to worry about.
I went with a new Baja 90cc. They were $749 at Pep boys. I told the manager "I'm going to order an atv online for $500, but I'd rather buy from you." I offered $599. He said yes. I feel a little better buying in person (plus it's assembled and I can see it running, no damage) and supporting a local business even if it is a few $ more.
Now I can use the new 90cc as a guide to try and get the 2005 in running condition. That's the plan anyway.
I ran around behind my son for about an hour with the tether, that was enough. He was doing great. The throttle limiter seems to work well (no hills on my property). I'm going to need to watch him closely though. He has no fear and would go full throttle if I let him.
Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you guys know if and when I get the other two going.
I'm pleased and impressed. I'd have not thought about dickering on the price at a Pep Boys. Well done!