Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

xlr125 header on lifan gy5

Hi

I believe the standard header pipe (with a bulge in it) may be restrictive.

After a lot of looking at photos I bought a second hand Honda xlr125 header. This bolted straight on to my Lifan GY5 200 with standard silencer.

Quite a lot of XLR stuff looks like it may fit..............

Yet to try it and see if it is breathing easier but it looks good!

Cheers

Frog

Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #2

Did the ID of the original pipe and the XLR pipe match? We actually found a GIO 250 header that fit my son's XR200 head, and it had a larger ID. We're hoping that it will breathe a little better than before.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Did the ID of the original pipe and the XLR pipe match? We actually found a GIO 250 header that fit my son's XR200 head, and it had a larger ID. We're hoping that it will breathe a little better than before.
ID was the same (maybe 0.5mm larger) but with a tidier weld at the mainfold end and of course the bulge (? cat ? something) in the orignal pipe is absent.

It may make no difference but it also replaces the horrible heatshield that comes with the gy 5

Frog

Old 12-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Sounds like a good move. After you have tested the new pipe, do you plan to chop up the old one and see if the bulge is a cat? I can't imagine that the Chinese are trying to emulate a Power Bomb from FMF.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #5

I wondered about that as it does look similar. I do not know how these work or what is in side a power bomb...

In the Lifan pipe there is an obstruction at the bulge - tested by passing a flexible grab and hitting something!

5 years ago I managed a hospital that included an endoscopy suite amongst other things - would have a good look if I still did!

Can not think they would put a cat on one either ..................

Cheers

Frog

Old 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #6

My HiBird has the bulge in it. Cut it open with the chop saw. Inside was a a soft , thin, metal that resembled corrigated cardboard all rolled up.
I cleaned it all out and slober welded it back together with my arc welder and the skinniest rod I had. The biggest thing I noticed was a huge decrease in the amount of heat that radiated from that part of the pipe. I considedered it worth the effort.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #7

That definitely sounds like a honeycomb catalyst. I'd lose it.

To respond to your comment Frog, the Chinese are probably sticking cats on anything street legal these days, just because it's easier than singling out California-bound bikes. I believe that even the off-road atv's in California have emissions controls now. :roll:

Old 12-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #8

Thanks folks - Riding the bike without it is a definate improvement - so I'm happy with the change!

cheers

Frog

Old 12-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #9

Have you dropped the clip on the jet needle to compensate for the additional exhaust flow? You definitely don't want to run too lean.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #10

Fitting a new three stage POSH CDI - with the increased flow and advanced ignition I'll certainly raise the needle!

The CDIs are currently less than £10 (around $15 I guess) on eBay and well worth a try.

Will report back on that soon.

Frog