Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #1

More Red Tape coming for BC OFF-ROADERS.

Hey Guys, just read this quickly on the net, pretty sparse in details, but thought the other BC members might find it interesting.

It seems the red tape lovers are now going to make it so I need to put a license plate on my dirt bike, quad, snowmobile and probably my ass before I walk through a trail.

I'm sure we can all understand how the money they charge me to 'insure' my dirt bike and quad is going to help Bambi not get scared of exhaust in the woods! I always wonder how they're going to register the thousands of units already in service now, with no plate mounts or papers to be found.

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/p...857/story.html

Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #2

All off-road riders using Crown land will require one-time registration with a licence plate for their machines, in addition to wearing helmets and using lights at night, the province said in a press release.

Age-appropriate safety measures and adult supervision will be required for young riders.

Also, all off-road vehicles will require registration and licensing at time of sale and re-sale, and new standards for mufflers will be introduced to minimize the noise impact on wildlife.

HEY! it could be worse, it could be a yearly registration AND yearly use permits.

It's not "red tape", it's called "positive revenue streams", which is another way of saying "money for nothing".

Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #3

I'm not against registration, especially one-time regi. The license plate is no big deal.

Alberta has had mandatory registration for all off-road vehicles since the early eighties. It is very helpful in the fight against stolen bike and quads.

When I bought my bike last year, I grilled the guy on the history of the bike, just to try and get some sense of a legit seller. We really have no other method at this time. The last thing I want is to buy a stolen bike.

The mufflers will be a bit of a bummer if they're enforcing a level lower than 96db.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #4

I wonder if ICBC is going to be the one handling the registrations? Did you know it costs more to transfer a license plate you have already bought from the monopoly to a different vehicle you own, then it does to buy a new plate from the monopoly?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #5

You can bet your butt it's going to be ICBC controlled, and I won't hold out hope on it being a one time fee. My guess is yearly renewal's with stickers just like cars, with political spin about why the cost has to keep going up.

My question is for all the old bikes and products out there that this never mattered for. How do they deal with that? "You can't use your bike anymore because you don't have reg papers." Or even better,' There'll be a higher fee because you have no papers.."

I really am all about safety. I don't want to see people get hurt riding their products, but as I get older I get frustrated with 'fee induced safety' like me having to pay 100 a year to register my bike is suddenly going to make me put my helmet on.