Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #1

Ontario Medical Association wants to Ban ATV's

Saw this on another forum and I know a lot of you guys are not from Ontario but if it get approved it will hurt many of us.

Please help out here's the link:

http://www.petitiononline.com/xsrktm43/petition.html

Old 09-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #2

Are you sure that's legit? It's full of spelling errors, and that makes it look like a hoax.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #3

Not sure about that but the proposed ban on kids operating ATV is real here's the link:

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #4

Things like this will turn up, We lost our small bikes here in the US...Hope You guys can keep Your kids quads :roll: This world is getting crazy....If I wanted a nanny I would hire one.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the link. The news article refers to some good points, and most small quads have governors in the throttle that would hopefully satisfy the intent.

I'm all for safe, fun off-roading.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #6

The good intentions are there but if that passed your daughter would not be able to 'legally' ride her quad as she is under 14.

There does need to be a happy medium. I don't see any reason why my 7 year old can't move the machine around at low speed like it's at, we clocked it at top speed at 22km/hr, and it needs a good stretch of open road to get to that. I think both my kids are more likely to fall off their peddle bikes doing similar speeds.

Where would you draw the line here? They sell little electric toy quads too, would those be banned? Would you ban peddle bikes with gears because they go too fast? Skateboards? It's a little excessive I think.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #7

When I was a kid I crashed my pedal bike... I got stitches, but I survived, and I don't think they should be banned for it.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #8

There's likely room for some reality in this issue. I'd be inclined to believe that the majority of serious accidents happen when an improperly supervised, inexperienced child is riding a big and powerful quad. There are several jackass parents that don't even consider the consequences, and they're the ones that draw considerable negative attention.

My dad is a jackass just like that, and I'm quite frankly surprised that I've lived as long as I have.