Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #1

Trouble with the 125cc Tao Tao semi auto transmission

I ordered in three of these Tao Tao 125cc semi auto bikes and I have had to send two engines back due to transmission gears piling up! Anyone else have this problem? Dealer has been great in sending out replacements, but is a lot of down time while waiting for new ones to arrive!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

ahh.. should stick with GIO !

Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #3

Haha spoken like a true salesperson.

I think Turnburn has bought quite a few Gio's too, if I remember..but obviously understand your bias. 8)

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #4

125 Transmission

I have the same ATV and the same problem. Within about two months of light use second gear made a loud clicking sound. When I discussed this with my Dealer (Outside Powersports) we decided that the most cost effective method would be to replace the engine assembly. He covered this under warranty and I asked him if I could buy back the old engine. For not much money I have all the spares I need for the engine. New engine works great and I have put a lot of miles on it. The atv has worked out very well and I am quite happy with it. Wondering if the transmission problems were common with a batch of these machines.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #5

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something simple, like a shift fork fastener that needs more torque or threadlocker. It would be great if someone with this specific problem could remove the side cover and share pics.

Future owners would then be able to catch the issue during PDI.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

Transmission Troubles

Well I guess now that I have a spare I will have to see what is inside. Had it appart once but everything looked ok. I will try to get some shots and we can see what it looks like.

New engine is running very well I hope that others with the 125 are finding the same.