Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #16

No ball-joints there. I think that the the springs are too stiff for the weight of the rider. Not sure how you would go about softening them.

Allen

Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #17

You're correct, Allen, no ball joints there.

TurboT, the kingpins will exacerbate the problem of difficult steering on bumpy terrain. A kingpin will only allow the wheel to rotate on its axis, and the control arms allow the wheel to articulate through an arc. The problem is that the kingpin doesn't have any "give" that would allow the wheel to minutely tilt and correct as necessary. The by-product of the kingpin design is that the kingpin bushings take the abuse. In your case, the kingpin bolt is also loosening.

You should find a mechanical means of retaining the kingpin fastener. Can you show us a photo of the bolt? If the nut can be replaced with a castle nut, you could drill out the existing bolt to accept a cotter pin. If you can't switch to a castle nut, you could safety-wire the existing nut.

frostbite, you can soften springs with a torch. In fact, that's how several people out there lower cars (not the best way). The problem is that it's unpredictable, and it's difficult to heat the springs evenly. If you had a set of spare springs that you wanted to experiment on, you could remove the shock and spring assembly, adjust it to the highest spring pressure, and then slowly and evenly warm it up with a torch. Alternatively, you could remove the spring from the shock, put the spring in a large vise or press (anchoring it with a chain) and heat it that way. Same result.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You're correct, Allen, no kingpins there.
??

Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
TurboT, the kingpins will exacerbate the problem of difficult steering on bumpy terrain. A kingpin will only allow the wheel to rotate on its axis, and the control arms allow the wheel to articulate through an arc. The problem is that the kingpin doesn't have any "give" that would allow the wheel to minutely tilt and correct as necessary. The by-product of the kingpin design is that the kingpin bushings take the abuse. In your case, the kingpin bolt is also loosening.

You should find a mechanical means of retaining the kingpin fastener. Can you show us a photo of the bolt? If the nut can be replaced with a castle nut, you could drill out the existing bolt to accept a cotter pin. If you can't switch to a castle nut, you could safety-wire the existing nut.
The odd thing with this one is it actually isn't too bad to keep straight.. my older daughter doesn't have too much trouble with that. It's annoying when I get on it to see the wheel wobbling around, and when I'm on it going over bumps I cringe at the movement I see, but then I will check it and it's only a 'little' loose, but won't stay tight.. if that makes sense. It's definetely the rough terrain that does it in.

Could you warm the shocks in an oven? Would that heat them evenly? A torch would definetely heat more on one side than the other.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
??
Ok, I fixed it. I had kingpins on the brain.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Could you warm the shocks in an oven? Would that heat them evenly? A torch would definetely heat more on one side than the other.
Doubtful. I can't imagine that 500 F is hot enough to alter a spring. I'm guessing at least three times that would be required. If you had the shock assembly mounted in a vise, you could move the flame around to heat it relatively evenly.

Propane would be less effective than MAP, and oxy-MAP would be even better. Oxy-acetylene would be ideal.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
??
Ok, I fixed it. I had kingpins on the brain.
I thought so, which was why the happy face. It was probably too early in the morning.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:47 AM   #23

I wonder if you could jury-rig up a steering damper?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #24

I would expect that a damper would increase steering effort, since it is generally a shock on a horizontal plane. Unless you want to re-engineer the front suspension to remove any bumpsteer, the only solution is to remove the slop in the steering, set 1/8" of toe-in, maintain proper tire pressure and switch to softer springs and shocks.

Of course, handlebar angle is also important, as discussed at the beginning of this thread.