Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #31

That's what I'm thinking.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 05-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #32

I finally got a set of factory handlebars today. I purchased the bars and a factory "can" from another 650 owner, and as I my luck dictates, the muffler was missing. :(

I was expecting a 20 lb. package, but it was only a few pounds, and a bit mangled. The driver had me open it before he left so he could verify and make a note of the fact that it was missing something. The box looked like it had been re-taped.

I called UPS and they took some information, but didn't even bother asking what was missing. I can't imagine a motorcycle muffler, especially one as uniquely shaped as the one for the 650, could hide too easily. I'm not conviced they even care.

So, I installed my (now) $62 bars. I am soooo much happier with the riding position now. I didn't ride it yet, but I can tell it's what I want and/or need. My wrist will thank me.

The only front wheel I've seen listed on ebay in the last 3 weeks, was ended early. I didn't even get a chance to bid on the item. I am really close to just giving up on a replacement in favor of shipping mine off to be repaired. The problem is having a place to park the bike for the week (plus) w/o a wheel. The 250 is currently sitting in the only spot in the garage where it wouldn't be in the way.

If/when I do park the 650 to send off the wheel, I'll go ahead and pull the clutch cover again and replace the friction discs and cover gasket.

I'll get her there eventually.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #33

I have had very bad service from UPS when it comes to the insurance department.

My 125 lifan came damaged. I think the seller didn't really package it well. UPS just sat on it and I ended up filing a dispute with paypal.

Allen

Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #34

Thanks for the reminder about PayPal. I may end up needing to go that route.

UPS did locate the muffler and reports it as 'damaged'. I am now waiting for the seller to send in the 'claim payment request form', after which, I think he will be reimbursed for the muffler. Then, I still have to wait for him to refund that money to me.

That is how I understand it, anyways. The seller is cooperative, but he seems to think he doesn't need to send in the payment request form. He thinks that since they have admitted it is damaged and given us a claim number, all he needs to do is wait for the money. I will be calling UPS (again) tomorrow to sort this out further.

Back to the bike....all I can say is WOW! 8O
I am really shocked by the difference the factory bars have made. I am MUCH more comfortable, but maybe more importantly, more confident in the ride now. I was ready to lean the bike further in the very fist turn w/ the new bars, as compared to having to almost convince myself to lean the bike w/ the other bars.

I don't want to imply that it's perfect w/ the factory bars, as they have their own 'odd' shape...and I can understand people wanting to replace them, but not in favor of lower bars, just better shaped bars.

I am equally surprised by the smoother ride. I guess part of the difference is the bar ends absorbing some of the vibes, but the ride is MUCH better now. I still feel a small amount of vibes in the front, and the front doesn't feel stable when leaning for a hard right (the bend is on the right side of the wheel) but the bike is a real joy to ride now.

I'm still not riding it much, though. I don't think I've put 400 miles on her yet, but the desire to ride longer distances increases with every ride. And for whatever reason, I'm not getting as much clutch slip anymore. I may have changed my riding style a bit to compensate, but I have to really try and make it slip now.

I finally found a few front wheels so that I have a choice in what I want to do, and I'm leaning more and more towards sending my wheel off to be repaired. I can buy a brand new wheel for $350. A (semi) local salvage place has quoted me $300, and another guy has quoted me $250. The $250 is tempting, but the guy runs an online store with less than stellar service. I have placed one order and I'm still waiting for one of the 4 items I purchased. I was told he would get it right out to me, but I'm still waiting...more than a week later.

I was referred to these guys for the repair service - http://www.mcwheel.com/
Their prices seem pretty good. I think I can it repaired, pay for 1 day turn-around service and cover shipping...all for under $200. The only problem with this is finding a place to park the bike on the stands for the time required. Since I would not be able to move it the entire time, that may prove to be a bit tricky.

And that's where I'm at right now. I haven't done much in the last week. I put my ZG touring screen on, which looks great. I put my GPS RAM mount on the bars so I can have some navigation help, and I cleaned up a few places on the fairing that wasn't lining up as it should.

Overall, I am MUCH happier with this bike today, than I was a month ago. And when I get the front wheel sorted out, I'll be setting off to log some serious miles.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #35

I had a feeling it would all work out this way for you, glad to hear it! ^_^ That new 250 project you've got is a trip though.. haha

I think once you get that 650 front tire and maybe the clutch in there (my god you've spent quite a bit of money on the damn thing already ) Youll be a completely changed person on the matter than a month ago

Heres me telling you this too haha-Im 19... never owned a motorcycle, never ridden one on the road... and i can't wait for the projects to come

[My first ride will be the Zongshen Sierra 200 ]

Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #36

Cha-Chi

Thanks Welle
I'm sure you'll love the Zong. I really want another DS, but that will have wait a bit.

I had a very productive day. 8)

I found a front wheel on ebay!! Finally. It was still more than I wanted to pay at $230, but it was the cheapest I'd seen. And it's only maybe $30-60 more than getting mine repaired. Now I can swap it out in an evening and be all set. I'm even thinking about a new set of tires (Conti Road Attack) to slap on at the same time.

I got a message from the seller of the muffler, telling me the papers were faxed to UPS and we just need to wait for the payment.

I also took the longest ride yet, at around 120 miles. It was such a nice day, I decided to treat myself after a bit of yard work.

Here's a few pictures. I've ridden to this little spot a lot, so some of you may recognize it from pics of the '07 250.

And last but not least, I thought I'd share a before and after pic of a little mod to the fairing.

As you can see here, this corner was sticking out on both sides of the bike. I could see old double-sided tape that obviously wasn't working anymore. I tried replacing with some of my own, but there's too much tension to get it to hold.

I was wandering around the auto parts store one day and noticed those little plastic rivet type screws, so I bought a few. After making sure there was nothing behind that little corner, I drilled a hole on each side and screwed them into place. Bingo! Problem solved.

Here's a little different angle, and it shows the upper inner fairing peice I bought. Those two little items really help to clean up the bike.

The only major issue left is the shifter shaft. I have just under $2550 invested, including the front wheel and the muffler that was lost/damaged. I may send off the set of bent wheels to be fixed, and then either have them powdercoated (I know a guy who knows a guy) red to match the frame, or just sell them to recoup some funds.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #37

Those screws could almost pass for stock.

Allen

Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 PM   #38

That's what I was going for. They actually use some similar push-in type plastic buttons on other places on the fairing, but they are pricey. The screw-in types are really cheap by comparison.

I still haven't figured out why they stuck out like they did, though. I found nothing missing or broken, and I don't see that on other bikes, but I really haven't been around any to look at since I got mine. I think the 09's are different.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #39

I got my front wheel in on Friday, pulled the old one and had the tire swapped over. I put at least 100 miles on her yesterday (haven't checked to see the exact mileage yet) and feel a big difference in the bars.

She's running/riding really well now. I have to say though, I'm still feeling some vibes in my right foot. I can't figure out why. It's not a big, major problem...but it does bug me. If I felt the same thing on my left foot, I'd be tempted to chalk it up to the solid foot pegs (no rubber insulation), but it is much more noticable on the right than the left, which makes me think the pegs are not the cause.

I'm getting used to it though, the more I ride. Eventually I may convince myself it's supposed to be that way.

A couple of notes about the wheel/tire - The wheels are made by Enkei, which may be why they are more expensive than many other motorcycle wheels. And my front tire had been mounted backwards. The tire was rotating in the correct direction, but the arrow on the wheel was pointed the wrong way. The bend on the right side was actually on the left side of the wheel. 8O I don't think it made much difference, but it's another example of something that wasn't done correctly.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #40

I've put about 750 miles on the bike since I put the good front wheel on last Friday. I'm just under 1400 miles since purchase.

I have a new rear tire ordered, and should have it mounted up no later than tomorrow evening. I also have a new helmet on the way. I ordered another HJC CL-15 (different color/design) so my sheilds and liners will work for both helmets, which should make it easier to keep a clean liner on hand.

I took a 240 mile ride yesterday. It was a nice ride until the skies opened up on the ride home, about 20 minutes too soon. It reminded me of how dumb it is to leave the rain gear at home.

Such is life.

Here's a few pics...

Old 06-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #41

Nice pics The bike is looking awesome.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #42

Thanks

I got the new tire (Bridgestone BT 020) mounted up last night and back on the bike today. I also put a set of bar end mirrors on today, and they make a HUGE difference in my ability to see something other than my hands.

The new tire feels really good, too. I put a 160 back on, instead of the 170 like it had, and the combination of the new rounded profile w/ a tire that isn't quite as wide, has it handling superb at the moment. Two thumbs up!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #43

Re: Cha-Chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth
Thanks Welle
I'm sure you'll love the Zong. I really want another DS, but that will have wait a bit.

Oh yeah? I'll trade ya' my '07 Lifan for that Ninja 250. Atlanta isn't too far out (about 5 hours). I actually like the 250 and my Lifan just isn't seeing any use since I got my DR 650. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and we can go into more detail.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #44

Re: Cha-Chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Oh yeah? I'll trade ya' my '07 Lifan for that Ninja 250. Atlanta isn't too far out (about 5 hours). I actually like the 250 and my Lifan just isn't seeing any use since I got my DR 650. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and we can go into more detail.
hehe...thanks for the offer, but I must decline :P

I'm still holding out hope for a 400cc DS at a reasonable price. I liked the 200, but I want something w/ a bit more pep. The new HiBird 250 is interesting, but even with it I'd want the higher HP version.

Besides that, I sold my 08 Lifan for $950 and bought the Ninja for $1000. A trade would be a bit of a step backwards. No offense.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #45

I'lltrade ya a Honda 80 for it