Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #31

here you can see the detail behind the headlight, the multiple mounts, the nice fork down tubes, the nice triple tree and clamps..and the instrument cluster. No loose wires anywhere in there.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #32

The front tire next to Waldo's ...not inspiring for off road.... heheheh
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #33

view inside the box. The Zong has some nifty hand and lower fork leg guards. Parts and fasteners, mirrors, manuals, battery etc. all found in here.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #34

here's the manuals shot. check the thickness of that maintenance jobber brings a grin to anyone with a wrench LOL

Old 06-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #35

full parts schematics and lists etc. too, SWEET!!!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #36

What can you say, read this and go use this thing

Well, I *might* put Zonk together in the morning, seeing as how little there really is left to do. We'll see. If so, more pics then

Hope you all have enjoyed the story.

Oh, one last word about Phil, he knows the right people and when he says something, he means it. nuff said.

Thanks a ton Phil. My Bro is going to break his face smiling when he sees this thing

Seer

Old 06-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #37

QUOTE: ****
WHOA!!!

Quick run down,
1. Welding on Zong is exquisite on this particular bike, I was shocked. Equal of any Jap bike I've seen, period, end of story.
2. Front forks and triple tree are MASSIVE. easily half again or better bigger than on the HSUN's, plus inverted. Will have to wait and see bout the ride, but WOW, they are impressive and well machined and finished.
3. Rear tire looks like something off a Harley. Will b ok for the sand and hard dirt roads expecting on the trip next week, but wouldn't want to race up loose gravel with em. Clearly a road tire.
4. Front is a 3.00 x 18, Rear is a 4.30/90 x 15. My rear dual purpose tire on the Hamna looks like a mountain bike tire in comparison.
5. Headlight fixture on Zong is immensely better and more secure. Wires are completely encased, well routed, and sealed. Not like the bird's nest I have on Waldo. Further, it is far more securely mounted. No Tach on "Zonk" though.
6. Handlebar fittings, i.e. throttle, brake, clutch etc. look identical.
7. Foot pegs on Zonk look like bear traps, I mean REAL bear traps LOL. Heavy and big. Even the shifter lever is more elegant and robust.
8. Frame looks heavy, IS heavy but welding and paint are terrific.
9. Gas tank is steel, not plastic.
10. This is an orange one and ....the engine looks like black chrome. Total effect with black frame, the orange and black striped covers etc. is like a bad ass tiger.
11. Rear rack is REALLY well mounted.
Ok, off to movies, more later, but first impressions....WOW!! one well built (and heavy, not just heavy duty) motorcycle.
-------
Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:58 pm Post subject:
Fast Doc, I think that's the right sentiment. I've spent a LOT of Phil's time the last week or so working on setting this up and he's been a fountain of information. I can tell you that from the time I showed up at the warehouse (which is a bonded/secure/ customs official type, Dept of Homeland Security protected place -they told me to shut down my camera pronto LOL) it took about 7 minutes before the bike was coming down the ramp on a forklift!!! Phil got this done the RIGHT way !!!. Dunno who he promised to kill, (j/k heheh) but a fellow was waiting for me with the paperwork, the fork lift, and the side door to the ramp half open LOL.

Cleanest, quickest transaction I've EVER seen at an importer. Period, end of story.

Ok, more info before I put up the pictures that I did manage to get

The crate is a LOT bigger than an HSUN crate, mostly because the bike is nearly put together already. We're talking handlebars, front axle and wheel, front fender, battery, and that's about it! Nothing like the situation with the Hsun's where all the bits and pieces need to be put on. Headlamp is mounted, wired and good to go.

This bike will go together a lot faster BUT, you still have to locktite the bolts..now as to those...they seem to all be allen head bolts and of good quality. Like I said before the front forks are VERY nice

Inside the *goodies* box are indeed some goodies. Mirrors are heavy and seem of good quality. The manuals are something else. An owners manual, a full and complete parts manual, and...drumroll....a "Maintenance Manual" which looks to me to pretty much be a full shop manual for the whole damned bike!!!! Like I said, this Zong is a full step up from the other Chinese Bikes I've seen in practically every way and the manuals are better than anything I've EVER received with a bike before, whether my big Kawa touring Voyager, my Ducati engined Cagiva Gran Canyon, or my various Yamahas.

The supplied battery is a first rate Yuasa, the handlebars are some unusual finish which matches the alloyed headset and fork tubes perfectly.

Now, the saddle is indeed lower, HOWEVER, it is also substantially fatter than Waldo's, and a bit softer, I'm guessing its going to be more comfortable that 3rd or 4th Hour. The chain guard and guide are a whole class better than Waldo's and the overall appearance of the bike is substantially 'chunkier'. Ground clearance looks to be a bit less.

I gotta tell you tho, its reallly hard not to keep coming back to the engine. That black chrome finish is simply HOT!!!! lol. Dunno if the pic's will do it justice, but man, the bike just looks good....Didn't think I'd like the color but the orange is "Harley" orange and with all the black, looks wicked.
END QUOTE ****

I must say Seer... you are my favorite person ever right now
I was already beyond excited to get this bike and now im just besides myself hahaha

I had planned on doing exactly the same thing as far as documenting the arrival, or pickup (haven't figured that out yet) and this just makes me even more confident i just can't WAIT to get the money together to just GET it 8O

Nice trailer BTW i was thinking of redoing the one i bought that's similar to JUST that same deal GREAT JOB- keep it coming - - especially what you do PRE Ride/Assembly

Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #38

I've finally got the pics ready on the building of the trailer too. It's actually a good deal from Harbor Freight if you catch it on sale. They have a slightly bigger stronger one that doesn't fold up on sale right now for 339.00. that's about a hundred off. Holds up to near 1800 lbs I think.

The wood railing I built with the help of Roger up in Oregon. Made it so everything can come out and off in case I want to use as a straight flat bed. It tows very well, Lincoln doesn't really feel it, AND the bearings are top quality. I set them myself and even after a couple of hours at 70mph, the hubs are barely warm. All in all I'm very happy with how it turned out, and painted white, works well with the car AND Waldo

From what I've seen so far, there is NO WAY you're going to be disappointed with one of these Zongs. It is a quality built and equipped bike. Spud and Desert have been telling us about them for a couple of years now, if anything, I think they were understating the case for buying one

Seer

Old 06-06-2009, 02:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas
I've finally got the pics ready on the building of the trailer too. It's actually a good deal from Harbor Freight if you catch it on sale. They have a slightly bigger stronger one that doesn't fold up on sale right now for 339.00. that's about a hundred off. Holds up to near 1800 lbs I think.

The wood railing I built with the help of Roger up in Oregon. Made it so everything can come out and off in case I want to use as a straight flat bed. It tows very well, Lincoln doesn't really feel it, AND the bearings are top quality. I set them myself and even after a couple of hours at 70mph, the hubs are barely warm. All in all I'm very happy with how it turned out, and painted white, works well with the car AND Waldo

From what I've seen so far, there is NO WAY you're going to be disappointed with one of these Zongs. It is a quality built and equipped bike. Spud and Desert have been telling us about them for a couple of years now, if anything, I think they were understating the case for buying one
Thats what i was hoping for very much so to be honest... haha WHO ISN'T when buying a China bike!? But truely, i agree...

lil story of my own...i fortunately found a website today when i was searching for videos of the Zong - - your gonna think this is funny too... And i watched the video, saw their store front and the WHOLE time i had the pricking notion in my mind that the placed looked so familiar (i live in central NJ btw ) so i keep watching, and at about 45-46 secs if you watch youll notice the green bronco... lol I KNOW the guy that drives that Bronco - and then i realized thats all NEW JERSEY license plates-- haha ALL OF THIS without me noticing as well that it clearly says MONROE TOWNSHIP NJ in three places... which is RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD from where my best friend works and i go to all the time-- no wonder it looked familiar...(so im an idiot and just captivated by the Zong) i just haven't noticed bikes outside before--hahaha

http://www.menintools.com/zongshen200gymotorcycle.html

SO my goal tomorrow is to go and check out their Zongshen Sierra Situation ^_^

Old 06-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #40

ok, was looking more closely at the handlebars this morning and the fittings are NOT the same as the HSUN''s. Looks like the lights are on full time, I don't see where you can turn the headlight off. one of the things I like about the Hsun. Also, as I stated before, the Hsun has a tach, the zong doesn't. It will all come down to the ride so that will have to wait till next week

seer

Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #41

not that it exactly helps you now but im looking into putting the lifan "fancy" dash on the Zong... now i plan to do it when i GET the bike (i can get the dash full for 45 bucks at hooper) but the only forseen problem is the CDI output of the tach when it comes to electronic or mechanical in comparison for the lifan... BUT really- a tach is just a luxury anyways you got to FEEL the bike 8)

Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #42

Mahhh

man im jealous. almost ordered this bike but the online dealer wouldn't call me back. Crazy about 500.00 more than gy-200 might have been worth it considering mods.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas
ok, was looking more closely at the handlebars this morning and the fittings are NOT the same as the HSUN''s. Looks like the lights are on full time, I don't see where you can turn the headlight off. one of the things I like about the Hsun. Also, as I stated before, the Hsun has a tach, the zong doesn't. It will all come down to the ride so that will have to wait till next week

seer
Thank you for the nice report, Seer! I just got back from teaching a motorcycle rider safety class on Friday and Saturday. You certainly posted a lot of great information in two days!

You are correct; the Zong's headlight is always illuminated when the ignition is on. As a motorcycle riding safety instructor, I can assure that visibility is a major safety issue for motorcycles. I am very pleased that the Zong's headlight is always illuminated; I would suggest that you do not change this feature. Even with the vibration from trail riding, the Zong headlight will last a long time. I just rode 6,000 miles before my EiKO BA20D headlamp bulb finally expired.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=8157

You shouldn't need to use much locktite on the Zong; it is ready for an adventure, right out the shipping crate! However, you will want to replace the luggage rack mounting bolts and secure them with locktite. They are the only bolts I have ever lost off my Zong in 11,000 miles of riding.

I have posted a lot of tips on prepping and modifying the Zong; search this forum for "Zongshen" and you will find a wealth of information. In particular, get some more "aggressive" tires for the upcoming trails. Also, get a smaller countershaft sprocket; the Zong is definitely geared too high with the 15/46 sprocket ratio. I highly recommend a 13-tooth countershaft sprocket from PBI, in Oregon! Once again, thank you for another great post! I will be looking in periodically to check on your progress. Your friend got a great little motorcycle. Indeed, as my signature states, "there's nothing wrong if you own a Zong!"

P.S. I am very pleased to note you bought your Zong from Phil. I am confident he will provide you with excellent customer service.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welle417
...lil story of my own...i fortunately found a website today when i was searching for videos of the Zong - - your gonna think this is funny too... And i watched the video, saw their store front and the WHOLE time i had the pricking notion in my mind that the placed looked so familiar (i live in central NJ btw ) so i keep watching, and at about 45-46 secs if you watch youll notice the green bronco... lol I KNOW the guy that drives that Bronco - and then i realized thats all NEW JERSEY license plates-- haha ALL OF THIS without me noticing as well that it clearly says MONROE TOWNSHIP NJ in three places... which is RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD from where my best friend works and i go to all the time-- no wonder it looked familiar...(so im an idiot and just captivated by the Zong) i just haven't noticed bikes outside before--hahaha

http://www.menintools.com/zongshen200gymotorcycle.html

SO my goal tomorrow is to go and check out their Zongshen Sierra Situation ^_^
Please let us know what you discover! This dealer looks reputable, and he has posted a fair price for a tailgate-delivered Zong.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #45

SOLD

I just went to the store today and they had one left on the floor and the guy on the phone told me that that was the only one left. The owner of the place comes out and tells me they've got two more coming to be delivered and i can put a deposit on it... so 1495 if i want it assembled by them and i can pick it up and im trying to figure out the price theyll give me if i pay cash AND if i have it unassembled in the crate (which id prefer) . . Really nice place and they showed me the parts catalogs they have for the Sierra from Zongshen - - so they really can get anything i need... but the two they're getting are IT until Zongshen starts out with their NEW model... whenever THAT will be and whatever that will cost... so im going to put a 200 or so down payment and lay-away it off-- haha But i sat on the bike and they ran it around and went over it with me (i did tell them alot of stuff they didn't even know about the bike though--haha) But all in all... its 20 mins away and they sell everything i would ever need so i think its a done deal.