Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
...By far the best mod on the bike so far is the FMF exhaust, I would recommend this to ANYONE as their first mod, wish I had done it sooner !!! I will upload some pics soon.
Thanks for the updater, Rider! I eagerly await your photos. I bought a stainless steel Yamaha XT225 exhaust header on eBay. After I see your photos I will probably order the FMF Turbine Core 2, myself.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #17

man, now I gotta spend more money too...hahah can't wait to see the pics. Where did you get the clamp?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #18

Here is a few pic's I took on my phone, not very good, but I didn't have a good camera today. You still get the idea though, it fits VERY well. Pic's do not do justice for this though, the proof is in the sound/performance, which you have to be there for :wink:

I used a ATV exhaust clamp where the factory and aftermarket mid-pipe join

Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #19

That looks nice. Thanks for the pics. So the silencer comes with some pipe too? So you just need to remove the old silencer and cut the new pipe to length and join with the clamp? Did you get the clamps from Bikebandit too?

Steve

Old 05-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Did you have to weld or rejet?
No welding needed, just cut the pipe's to length, and used a ATV exhaust mounting pipe clamp. Fit's like factory with zero air leaks. Did not have to rejet at all (as mentioned earlier) I did already have the c-clip moved down 1 notch.
Super job, and nice photos! I plan to replace the Zong exhaust header with a Yamaha XT225 stainless steel header. The XT225 header extends to the first frame pipe on the way back to the silencer. Rider, can you please post more photos of the midpipe/header junction with the plastic removed? Thank you for the update.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #21

the stock system does not have a mid-pipe (technically) it is a header pipe, with the stock exhaust and mid-pipe welded together (so 2 pieces one joining spot, goes like muffler-header) the FMF system has the mid-pipe not welded together so there is more room for adjustment if needed ( so 3 pieces 2 joining spots, goes like muffler-midpipe-header).

Also, it seems people keep referring to it as a silencer ? The new FMF is not a silencer, it has a spark arestor built into it, is USFS approved, and that is all, no silencer on the new exhaust. If you would like one with a silencer built in, you will need a different mode #l. But if you want it quiet, you might as well keep the stock exhaust on there.

Spud, i will take some more when I get a chance, don't have much time at night during the work week to take that off to get pic's. If you are wanting a aftermarket exhaust, just go for it :twisted: . It is a very simple and pretty straight forward install, I know you can do it . :wink:

Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #22

hmm, it is listed as a 2-stroke silencer on the FMF website...

http://www.fmfracing.com/default_det...tocross&cat=62

Old 05-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbare
hmm, it is listed as a 2-stroke silencer on the FMF website...

http://www.fmfracing.com/default_det...tocross&cat=62

That one looks different, maybe that one is for a 2-stroke? I could not even find the same one on FMF's website, I could not before I ordered it. That's why I went down to the locale bike shop (KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki Dealer in town) and they had the exact same exhaust and part # in stock. They said "yes, that is the one I need, for my 200cc 4 stroke" but theirs was $159.99. So I went and ordered it from "bike bandit" as it was the cheapest place I could find it. So I don't know about the one you posted, but this is the one we need
http://www.bikebandit.com/product/12137

look at the difference in the one I have compared to the one you posted? Mine even had a different logo/sticker than your's, but I peeled it off anyway

Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #24

that is just a sample photo for a specific application. If you click on the universal tab, it gives you the correct number for the same one at bike bandit, but does not show a different picture.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #25

Hmm with that oval design I might be able to make it fit my DR, Can You post how it sounds on vid????? What kinds of pipes does it come with all straight or some bends?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Hmm with that oval design I might be able to make it fit my DR, Can You post how it sounds on vid????? What kinds of pipes does it come with all straight or some bends?
I don't have a vid camera :( but believe me it sounds like night and day compared to what it was, the factory one is SO restricted. The mid-pipe it comes with has a slight bend in it, which helps it fit perfect on our Zong's, probably the same for your's, although I have never actually looked at it.

here you can see the slightly bent mid-pipe. It is not welded to the muffler, so you can position it where you need to and it comes with 1 clamp, you will need 1 more where the mid meets the header.

I really enjoy riding it ALOT more with this, I have been riding it every day to and from work this week It feel's/sounds like a completely different bike, makes ya smile at WOT. And surprisingly this is the first mod my wife has approved of , as she thinks it makes it safer on the road as people will not only see you now but hear you.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have a vid camera :( but believe me it sounds like night and day compared to what it was, the factory one is SO restricted. The mid-pipe it comes with has a slight bend in it, which helps it fit perfect on our Zong's, probably the same for your's, although I have never actually looked at it.

here you can see the slightly bent mid-pipe. It is not welded to the muffler, so you can position it where you need to and it comes with 1 clamp, you will need 1 more where the mid meets the header.

I really enjoy riding it ALOT more with this, I have been riding it every day to and from work this week It feel's/sounds like a completely different bike, makes ya smile at WOT. And surprisingly this is the first mod my wife has approved of , as she thinks it makes it safer on the road as people will not only see you now but hear you.
Thanks man, How long is it overall...I wish theywould list that on bike bandit :roll:

Well it runs better sounds better and the wife approves.....You struck gold man

Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks man, How long is it overall...I wish they would list that on bike bandit :roll:
I think the overall exhaust is (this is guessing :roll: ) about 12-13 inches, and the mid-pipe is about 10, which after I cut it was probably 7-8.

Quote:
Well it runs better sounds better and the wife approves.....You struck gold man
yea, so now it gives you guy's an excuse to tell your wife's to buy one :wink:

Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
...By far the best mod on the bike so far is the FMF exhaust, I would recommend this to ANYONE as their first mod, wish I had done it sooner !!! I will upload some pics soon.
Thanks for the updater, Rider! I eagerly await your photos. I bought a stainless steel Yamaha XT225 exhaust header on eBay. After I see your photos I will probably order the FMF Turbine Core 2, myself.

Spud
So Spud, does the XT225 directly bolt to the Zong Engine?

And excellent choice on the Exhaust DesertRider... this will be my first mod me thinks when i get my bike ^_^

Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #30

Great looking bike! Very nicely done.

I do see one issue though....that garage is entirely too clean and organized. 8O

I'd never get anything done in such a sterile environment...hehe
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project