Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

Replacing a battery

Okay, I got all the info on my old battery and want to go get a replacement. Then I started to wonder if maybe buying a 'better' battery would be the right move, or should I by the exact same thing..... :?:

So can anyone tell me would it be better to buy a battery with more Ah and/or more CCA? Are the AGM (maintenance free) batteries a good bet, or good ole' dry cell?

current battery was
12volt
9Ah (10 H.R.)
85 CCA at 18A
137mm long 140mm high and 76mm wide

Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #2

Youre best bet is to go to the yusa website and find the model number. Then look it up on ebay.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #3

Re: Replacing a battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthalis
Okay, I got all the info on my old battery and want to go get a replacement. Then I started to wonder if maybe buying a 'better' battery would be the right move, or should I by the exact same thing..... :?:
So can anyone tell me would it be better to buy a battery with more Ah and/or more CCA? Are the AGM (maintenance free) batteries a good bet, or good ole' dry cell?

current battery was
12volt
9Ah (10 H.R.)
85 CCA at 18A
137mm long 140mm high and 76mm wide
Depends on what you're wanting to do with the battery.
If it's just starting the bike (and it will turn over the engine?), what you have is fine.
If it is having difficulty turning the starter, you need to increase the CCA rating.
AGMs are nice because they won't spill or need topping off.

If you need more power to run lights or other electric devices, larger capacity is the way to go: Increase the Amp hour rating.
'Course that usually means a larger battery case and you may not have enough space for one to fit.

JMO,
Bill

Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #4

9 Ah is man enough to start anything up to 250 cc or so. With batteries, the amp hour rating is not the full story. I can show you two batteries with the same amp hour rating and one (Yuasa) weighs 30% more than the other (unknown Chinese make). The difference in performance and longevity is astounding. (the better one has more lead in it).
With the exception of a couple of very special AGM batteries, wet lead acids have lower internal resistance and can supply heavier currents for longer than either GEL or AGM type. The great advantage of these is that they can be positioned in any way you like and don't leak.
Just go for a well-known make, Yuasa preferably, although European ones like Varta, Tudor, etc are good.

If you decide on an AGM type sealed battery make sure the connections are suitable for automotive use, that is by screws. A lot of those come with quick fast-on connector tabs, and are only suitable for low current demands usually found on things like alarms and UPS's.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #5

awesome, thanks to you all for laying it out for me. I'll feel a lot better about what I'm doing at the store today