Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #1

Could use some opions Zongshen vs Lifan...

Hey I'm new to the group and REALLY appreciate what you are all doing with this site. This is an amazing group of people for support. I am trying to fingure out what enduro bike I will like best. I don't plan on totally beating it up but will be doing some offroad trailing and playing.
Here are the two that I have kind of narrowed it down to...
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Lifan http://www.motoxtreme.net/994.html
Zongshen http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...oducts_id/1014

Finally I live in Northern Montana so I think my only choice is to have one delivered.

I also like the Hibird and giovanni.

Last should I try to get a 250 or stick with the 200 since it seems like that is what most people on here are riding.

Thanks again for all your help. When i go to find a ATV for my wife I'm sure I'll be back asking questions.

Later,
mb

Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #2

yuo havent made good choices on either the website is for sale on the first one i dont think they sale anymore
the second site is isnt a zongshen a true zong but in fairness wait for other members as i am a dealer
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #3

I am wondering if Brian at motoxtreme is back in business. His website was down. It shows 2009 model.

The picture of the zong is not what others here have.

Allen

Old 04-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #4

I don't know alot about Zong or Lifan, but I'm sure that they're decent products. I do know a few things about the Giovanni line, and at this time, they don't offer a dual-sport bike. They have two 250 dirt bikes; one has a 17" / 19" wheel combo, while the other is 18" / 21" (I think). Beyond that, the two bikes are very similar.

I don't know anything about the Hibird product specifically, but all of these manufacturers typically use a decent Honda clone engine. In the case of Gio, the engines and brakes are excellent, while the bushings, fasteners and chains suck. I replace all of that stuff during the PDI process while I'm bathing everything in Loctite.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #5

Here were my top reasons for picking those sites. After looking through your dealer discussions they didn't seem to have a lot of bad press. I will try to contact motoXtreme to see if they are still arround. Vbikes also seems to have been well reported. I've gotta have good support since I live in small town and options once it gets here will be limited.

Secondly After looking at this board it seems there is a lot of support for both the Lifan and Zongshen here with a smaller following of Hibird ect...
Finally are the 200cc more reliable or just more available than the 250cc models. Any experience with both for comparrison.

Finally if anyone has some dealer recommendations I would gladly look at their sites and see what they have. More options the better.

Side note... There is a Viva 2500cc for sale here locally for about $1099 says that it's new and only been ran twice. Opions on Vivas? I have seen mixed reviews.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #6

choice

I just ordered from the Olson site in Texas, after long conversations with a guy named "MATT", what appears to be the same bike as sold by the Powersports guys for the same price BUT the Powersports group only had yellow in stock and that's not my color. Someone else just posted that they had ordered what appears to be the same bike from someone in NY for roughly 100.00 less.

Frankly, this whole thing is confusing as hell. LOL. Trying to figure out which bikes are the same and who builds what escapes me. My bike is supposed to be a SDL200GY which *appears* to be built by someone called Sun, however, it looks to me like SDL is just an importer. There are some problems with their website, but Matt claimed to have the bike in stock sooo we'll have to see. I've seen some guys reference the "HISUN" 200GY which looks exactly like my bike's photo, but until I actually receive the bike, who knows. Further the DB-C002 sold by PowerSportsMax looks like the exact same bike as the SDL200GY...

Bottom line if anyone knows for certain who the actual builders of this bike (as opposed to importers) I'd love to know.

One last thing, Olson claims a 2 year warranty and something about having first run or first shift bikes etc... anyone have any experience with this?

When I get mine I'll post detailed pictures of the specifics so we can all compare whats what.

seer

Old 04-05-2009, 02:34 AM   #7

lifan and hi-bird

i don't know if this helps or not but i bought a hybird qh200 back in may of 07 from RPM back in may of 07 . it is basically a gy2 with different stickers . I have clocked almost 6000 miles on the bike with very little trouble and now that I have finally got the last of the little bugs worked out i am able to really enjoy the bike . I live on 160 acres of woods and i trail ride the heck out of mine ( i also jump and act a fool sometimes on it but all in good fun ) . But i also use it for a 70 mile back and forth commute for work . I had an issue with my chain and that is the worst of it but it was just a missing engine bolt that was giving me the biggest headaches once i replaced that bolt it has been solid as a rock .i also looked at a lifan but my bike was about 300 dollars cheaper than the lifan .

Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #8

if your intrested in the zongshen serria i may be able to help i dont know how competive the price would be but you can call me everything you need as far as contact is at the bottom in the www. i would advise if your intrested to check with the owners of the bikes here
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 04-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #9

not sure what I'm going to do. Found there may be a Kawasaki klx 300 Dual Sport coming up for sale for about 900 bones. Of course that could be gone by the time I get back from work. I have to be out of town for the next week. Anyway should I just email you at hallsauto? You can send me a message on here as well. I should be checking my email and this forum periodically.
thanks,
MB

Old 04-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #10

These dang bikes are driving me crazy.... I've been up for about the last few weeks surfing the web for info on both the Chinese made one and learning about the Jap bikes. I wasn't a real big rider before but now I would like to get into it. I think the 09 Lifan is winning me over because of looks and price but if i had the money the Qlink is killer looking.

Anyone know all the specs on the 09 Lifan. I see mixed info. Some sites say it has front and rear disk brakes and some say only front.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #11

Re: choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas
Bottom line if anyone knows for certain who the actual builders of this bike (as opposed to importers) I'd love to know.

Enter the first three letters of the VIN into this database:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/manufacture/

So long as it's a legitimate VIN, this will tell you the actual manufacturer.

tcs

Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #12

Re: Could use some opions Zongshen vs Lifan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyphered
Here are the two that I have kind of narrowed it down to...
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
I was kinda/sorta in the same boat.
The used Japanese bikes were more expensive than I wanted to spend.
Researched a lot of different "brands", they all looked alike and had pretty much the same specs.
I went with a used "Lifan" because:
1: it was already titled in my state
2: Lifan has a pretty reliable reputation compared to some of the similar brands.
3: it had disc brakes on both ends. (Which probably means it ain't really a "Lifan" cause I think they only come with a drum on the back).
4: Got it local, so I could check it out and saved on any shipping.
Looked at the Zongshen Sierra, only thing I didn't like was the odd rear wheel size.
Quote:
Finally I live in Northern Montana so I think my only choice is to have one delivered.
Even with a local "dealer", I haven't found that to be very helpful when needing parts (not in stock and wants to charge $50 for a "diagnostic" to make sure I need the part).
I do my own work and mail-order the parts.
Quote:
Last should I try to get a 250 or stick with the 200 since it seems like that is what most people on here are riding.
200cc was about all that was available at that time I was shopping, no 250s. It has plenty of power for the riding I do (mild trails and road commute).
I would really like a 350 or 400 at some point (won't be wound so tight on the road).

2400 miles with me riding so far and no major issues (knock, knock) :wink:
Good luck,
Bill

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #13

If you ever get down to Great Falls, Mr. Salvage here is an American Lifan dealer. A firsthand look certainly couldn't hurt.

Good luck with your search!

Mike

Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #14

Re: choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas

Enter the first three letters of the VIN into this database:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/manufacture/

So long as it's a legitimate VIN, this will tell you the actual manufacturer.

tcs
Thanks a ton will be interesting to finally find out
Seer

Old 04-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaoffroader
If you ever get down to Great Falls, Mr. Salvage here is an American Lifan dealer. A firsthand look certainly couldn't hurt.

Good luck with your search!

Mike
Frickin Awsome! I didn't realize there was a Lifan dealer there. I'll have no problem getting over there. I work on Xray machines and I have some equipment over there I'll be doing some work on soon. Thanks Man!.

Phil what do you think of Lifan I want to know what you think since you used to deal them and are now with Zongshen. Was there something you didn't like or that you like more on the Zongs?

Wow that made my day I'm call Mr Salvage tomorrow to see what they have.

Later!