Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #16

I believe the Asus is labelled as "Easy to work, Easy to play" or something like that....

BEWARE! it's NOT easy.

I've had one for about a year. They are very cool and portable, but their wifi is complete junk. Check out the "pending" issue (google it). Mine fails to connect to a lot of free wifi due to some driver conflict or something or other.

Simple "updates" can end up deleting programs unless you know ahead of time to "pin your repositories." That sounds like an unpleasant medical procedure to me. All I know is that a download of "Firefox updates" created a headache that lasted for months due to crappy Flash compatibility problems.

Basically, as far as I'm concerned, unless you have a lot of patience to learn Linux, stay away.

Mine crashed last night after hours of trying to fix various bugs that came as a result of trying to fix problems created by the company's official upgrade packages.

The Windows ones may work just fine. You can also install Mac OS 10 on them, but you do run into a few bugs with that process.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I read a comment about being able to login into secure websites with PDA type devices. Just wanted to know if it works before I plunk down some money for one.

The lastest version is the X51 and those are not too bad in price.

Allen
Hi Allen.
I've used the Dell Axim 30 at work and it will do what you have asked here. I used it to keep up on e-mail and watch our patient tracking board over the web.
Our department used them for web-based patient survey tools.
PDAs are not "ideal" for web-surfing (IMO), not enough screen, but it will get the job done.
If you've got the key, you can get to secure Wi-Fi points.
I have not found a way to hook-up via an SSL VPN connection (just switched the secure wireless to require the VPN, and the software won't run on a PDA platform).

I'm currently using an HP iPAQ 2410 that my boss "gave" me.
"It won't turn on or run for more than 10 seconds. I'm done with it. If you can fix it you can have it :!: " That was 3 years ago.
I use it for e-mail (Outlook Web Access at work), data storage/retrieval (I've loaded lots of PDF reference materials for my job (nursing) and e-books (usually have 4 or 5 loaded) for leisure reading.
Throw a 2 gig SD card in it and you'll have plenty of storage. I only have a 128meg in mine and it's only about half full.
I just logged onto my Ebay account and I could place bids and work my lists without problem. I was able to easily log onto my Yahoo e-mail, but Comcast didn't like it too much.
I think I can get there, just never worked at it since I do my Comcast e-mail at home on the desktop.

Both the Axim and iPAQ easily fit in your shirt pocket, making them very portable. That's what I like most when comparing them to a small laptop.
They're both fairly rugged too (bending over in a patient room and they fall out :wink: )
Hopefully helpful,
Bill

Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to kmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawazacky
I believe the Asus is labelled as "Easy to work, Easy to play" or something like that....

BEWARE! it's NOT easy.

I've had one for about a year. They are very cool and portable, but their wifi is complete junk. Check out the "pending" issue (google it). Mine fails to connect to a lot of free wifi due to some driver conflict or something or other.
i will not argue or defend this post but will say that i bought my 4 year old son one and he uses the installed linux software better than he navigates windows and it never fails to connect to any wireless network. it also is more rugged than my real laptop. this little laptop has been dropped kicked and abused (after all it belongs to a 4 year old) and since it has the solid state flash drive instead of a true hard drive there is nothing to damage. and the weight at only 2.2 lbs is excelent. only thing i have against it is the battery life 2.5-3 hours

Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #19

Bill, thanks for that report. I just want something to use to check my email etc conviently without dragging a laptop around. I drive alot a work, but I am usually within a few minutes of a hotspot.

Looks like the x30 may be the machine for me.

The little laptops would be great, but just too big yet. Also the x30 is in price I would be willing to pay.

Allen

Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #20

Very welcome.
I had a laptop along with the iPAQ and used the iPAQ more frequently.
Quicker boot-up, way less to tote around
I found hotspots everywhere.
Bill

Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #21

OQO handheld computers

Hey Allen,
UberGeekdom :!:
Gotta mention this device.
Our docs use it in the OR.
Full XP. Fits in a digital camera case (that's where one of the docs carries his). Bad thing: 2-3hr battery life.

Currently on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/OQO-Handheld-Tab...ayphotohosting

Bill

Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #22

The eeePC from ASUS is very tough. That's why I bought it - a shockproof, miniature computer is excellent for motorcycle road trips. I do like the portability and reliability of my laptop in that sense.

If all you want to do is play Mr. Potato Head or use wikipedia, the eeePC is indeed easy. It is not easy to do other things. It's not configured to play DVD movies on an external drive - you have to program that function in yourself. Mine would not even read USB ports when I first bought it - I had to program that function in as well. If you want to play more complicated games than Solitaire, you have to get into a lot of geek talk to do so. It requires a knowledge of Linux programming to fix the problems brought in when you update the computer through the company's official upgrade process.

I'm not arguing or fighting with anyone either. I do like my eeePC most of the time, but they rushed them to market without polishing the product as much as they should.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #23

That would be cool, but the battery life not so good. Also not in price category I want to spend. I think I can get an x30 for less than $60 if I wait.

Allen

Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #24

You have shared with us some of your ebay conquests. I have no doubt you will find a good deal like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Axim-X51V-6...1%7C240%3A1318

Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #25

I use a EEEpc cuz it fits nicely under the seat storage. Used it quite often with no problems on my trip to AZ last summer. It is built like a rock.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
That would be cool, but the battery life not so good. Also not in price category I want to spend. I think I can get an x30 for less than $60 if I wait.

Allen
I know what you mean. If I was buying another for myself, it would be exactly what you are looking for.
That's why I still have the iPAQ and am glad it has continued to work, you can't beat "free". :wink:
Bill

Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #27

Check out the mips 400 on geeks.com... $160 netbook... I'm giving it some serious thought myself.

And don't be put off by Linux, it's actually a better os than winders.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #28

I will have to take a look at it. I have very limited knowledge of Linux, but I sure I can learn the basics needed to operate it.

Allen

Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #29

I checked out the Mips 400. I like it. Does alot for the price. Need to see if I can get a used one of ebay.

Allen