Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #1

This thing on my exhasut pipe...

OK, I have to ask because I've been searching and can't find anything on this. On my ATV there is a small tube welded into the exhaust pipe with a small flange on it, and there is a small metal item bolted onto the flange. The device has a rubber tube connected to it that goes under the front cowl near the headlamps and terminates with a cylindrical plastic valve or filter of some kind. The plastic cylinder at the end of the rubber hose has another smaller barb on it for more tubing, but it's just zip-tied up there not going anywhere else. Anyone have any idea what this is all for?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #2

Sounds like an emissions device of some kind.

Allen

Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #3

So I'm guessing it's just something for show to pass CARB standards? I mean it's there, just not connected to anything. I suppose I could grind it off and weld in a patch on the pipe and not miss it then.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #4

I have a 150cc Gy6 quad that is CARB approved with a green sticker. I don't have anything like what you see on my quad.

Have any pic's?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #5

I can get a real good pic of it and put it up this evening when I get home. For right now I found a blowup diagram of sorts from the icebear ATV website. http://www.icebearatv.com/parts_deta...roid=96&lb=166

It's number 38. The metal part that connects to the exhaust is on the left and the plastic cylinder that's tied up under the cowl is on the right. They call it a "AIR COLANDER ENTERWINDPIPE" whatever that is supposed to be. I typically use a colander to drain my spaghetti

Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #6

Hey,

I had what appeared to be the same thing on my Hi-Bird 250 DualSport

I disected the whole thing and all that was inside was a few small chambers seperated by what appeared to be paper thin Tin. I cut it off and plugged the hole. I also gutted the baffle thing that was in the exhaust. I am not sure what it was other than a restriction.

I did feel a small difference in performance, whether it was real or just my imagination only a dyno could tell, and I really didnt care enough to have done that.

Sorry I dont know more about it....... :?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #7

Here's a pic of mine. BTW Universal, a bit off topic, but I like the TJ in your avatar, my favorite color too. The color I got was gunmetal blue, but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. A few thousand later it's regeared to 4.10's with a locker, 3 inch lift sitting on 32's. I digress, pic below.

link to Pic of both ATV's and my "other" toy. My PBucket is public so if you go to my other albums, well let's just say we like star wars, ALOT.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...V/100_0988.jpg

Old 11-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
It looks like chinas version of an exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) that doesn't do anything except help with passing emissions with the EPA anyway.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #9

Universal_Diver, long time no see 8)

Are you back on two-wheelers, or are you still floating around in your Jeep?LOL

Don't forget the kapok life preserver,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #10

Re: This thing on my exhasut pipe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobus
OK, I have to ask because I've been searching and can't find anything on this. On my ATV there is a small tube welded into the exhaust pipe with a small flange on it, and there is a small metal item bolted onto the flange. The device has a rubber tube connected to it that goes under the front cowl near the headlamps and terminates with a cylindrical plastic valve or filter of some kind. The plastic cylinder at the end of the rubber hose has another smaller barb on it for more tubing, but it's just zip-tied up there not going anywhere else. Anyone have any idea what this is all for?

Thanks,

Mark
Here is a link to another post on a different forum asking the same question. The device is not exactly the same (it is on a 250cc buggy) but from the description sounds like it has the same function:

http://www.buggynews.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16165

Funny, though. Mobus is in Florida, and Macgyver (in the linked post) is in Kansas, and yet the blame is being directed at california emission standards. I have a california green sticker on my quad and don't have anything like this on mine.

I was going to look around today at Del Puerto OHV park today and see if I could spot any of these contraptions but I got carried away with the weather. Sunny, clear, 68 degrees F, I went riding instead and forgot to look. It is red season now anyway so the park was filled with higher emission vehicles which can only ride when the weather is supposed to be bad.

It rained last week so there was both mud and warm weather together - at least until the sun went down. Wearing a good coat of mud doesn't provide much insulation at all as the temperature drops. It was down to 50 degrees when I left. Next time I'll bring a coat.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #11

That part and it's components are for emissions in The USA. They must be on some vehicles if they don't pass USA Emissions Standards.

EGR... No it's not, but close.

It's basically an early type version of GM's AIR Pump to push air into the exhaust to make it burn cleaner.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net