Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #1

My (mostly finished) cheap luggage

Greetings all!

I saw that someone else has used the same boxes that I used for my luggage, but I thought I'd share with everyone what I did.

I got these boxes at wally world for about $8 each. Wally world calls theirs a 'fisherman's dry box'. I found the EXACT SAME BOX, made by the SAME COMPANY, except they were a kind of slightly camouflage green at a store called Big 5 Sporting Goods, except they wanted.... get ready..... $21.95 EACH! They call theirs a 'hunter dry box'

ah..... no.

(of course, now that I think about it, given the price of the box, plus the truck bed lining.... which will flake off if beaten on (where the other box is molded in color... it may be cheaper in the long run to buy the other ones....)

Since I didn't want hunter orange hanging off the side of the bike....I gave them 2 coats of spray-on truck bed lining. Please ignore the orange spots.... it was a quick paint job. If I'm happy with the mount, I'll re-shoot everything with a couple more coats to make things all the same....(BTW, I did the rack that way too, and I was impressed enough that I did the rocker panels and the lower part of the doors on my Tracker too! The roll on stuff may be better, but for $6.50 a can, I try it on the cheap first) Nothing fancy for the mounts, a couple of straps made from 1" X 1/8" steel, and a brace of 3/4". It really just sits on the rack, and right now I have 3 hose clamps holding it on, but I'm going to use something else for a more permanent solution. However, I still want to be able to slip the rear strap up under the fender and 'connect' the two top straps to the rack. Ignore the wing nuts, they're just there for testing right now. I still need to add internal support, either big fender washers, or a piece of steel strap. And I'll trim off the extra length. I'm not worried about someone unbolting things. If they really want the boxes, they'll just cut the box, or pry the lid, or something else... But with locks and proximity, it will deter the casual thief (I hope). Once I change the hardware and finalize the mount, I'll shoot everything with truck bed lining and add some silicone sealant to the holes for water proofing. I live in the desert so I don't figure I'll be doing deep water crossings any time soon. I choose to do it this way since there was no welding, the boxes are well supported and with the rear cross brace, they don't vibrate very much. Also, the top of the boxes is just slightly above the rack, so you can still strap down a tent or sleeping bag or bed roll across everything. It also makes the mount easier to build. Now I should mention that my exhaust comes out the bottom of the pipe. That is, there is a 90 degree turn down prior to the end of the 'pipe' You can see that in one of the pictures. I haven't ridden it very far like this, so I'll keep an eye on the temp of the right box. I may have to add an aluminum heat shield if it gets too hot. I'm also looking at adding some type of tool tube or extra fuel bottle or something on the left. I may also add some extra/replacement blinkers. My bulbs basically fell apart after a ride the other day....
As always, comments and questions are welcome!

</img>

</img>

</img>

</img>

</img>

</img>

Oh ya, most of the pics are here. if you want a few more, you can go:
http://bbts.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!A6A74FDE6723E25C!391/

Ride Safe!
NV

Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #2

looks good man,

if you think that you are unhappy with plastic I am sure there is a army surplus store in your area that has ammo cans that look the exact same as what you have, but in steel or alumanim.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #3

Ya, the plastic did worry me a little. But I have (and I kid you not) like 10 of these boxes. Yes, my wife does not like it when I go to the sporting goods sections of wally world... she says I buy two things a Walmart. Gas cans and those damn little boxes!...

I think they'll be fine for what I imagine doing, but I think it'd be easy enough to change boxes to something more durable if they don't hold up....
NV

Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #4

That is clever, indeed!

You and Pizzarider can start a new breed of Chinese work bikes 8O

Keep up the good work,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #5

I see you used the same boxes. You'll find them very very durable in off-road tip-overs, at least at slow speed, as well as pretty waterproof. You do have to open them up and air them out once in a while because condensation builds up in them.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

Can I make a suggestion. The hole in the top of your fender makes a perfect place for the placement of a "stay" for helping secure your rack to the frame of the bike. Dad and I have a nice piece of custom urethane, but you could use anything firm. I have a pretty big top box and I fill it up regularly. This will keep your rack from eventually breaking from metal fatigue as my first one did.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #7

That looks brilliant! I think I'm going to copy that except I won't use those hose clamps. I think those hose clamps will come loose.

I wonder how much top speed you'll loose from the aerodynamic drag.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #8

I find I lose quite a bit of acceleration with the boxes on. I don't notice it after a while if I keep them on, but if I am switching back and forth between riding with luggage and riding with no luggage, the weight/drag is noticeable.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #9

I like your luggage. Do you have issues with it sliding from side to side with heavy loads?

Also can you please post the pics on the "Show me your saddle bags" thread with where you got them and a total cost?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #10

Also I want to do the same I just have not found the boxes local. I have a link to buy them on line but I am still looking local first. Now that hunting season is in I need to go to Basspro to take a look for them as well.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #11

Hey guys,

Sorry for not posting sooner. Work is always getting in the way. Here's some answers for you..

FB250, I can't use that hole, my bracket was broke from the factory. I need to pull everything off and cut the old one off and weld a new on. but that's an great idea i hadn't thought of.

Dragon, I actually only used the hose clamps for testing and stuff. I ended up going to home depot and getting these pretty slick little rubber covered 'cable' clamps.
</img>

I put 5 on. 2 on each side front and rear, and 1 in the front. They should keep the stuff attached firmly enough unless there is something really bad going on. In which case I guess it doesn't matter if they come off. hehe..

jayg, i haven't ridden it with them really loaded yet, but I can shake the bike pretty well and they don't seem to want to come off. I'll see if I can find that thread, but as for a total, I think i'm into them about $50. But I bought bolts by the 100 and steel in 6 foot lengths, so i have a lot left over. They could probably be built for about $30...

2 X boxes @ $8
3' 3/4 X 1/8 steel strap @ $4
4' 1 X 3/16 steel strap @$6
misc bolts and nut maybe $5

or there abouts.

Oh, and I added some self-sticky reflectors....
</img>
NV

Old 10-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #12

Looks good man! I like the size cause you can carry a lot of stuff without having to swing your leg over a top box.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 10-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #13

I sent this to a friend with an 08 KLR650 wanting to make some cheap hardbags.

Allen

Old 10-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #14

I like these and am considering doing the same thing since they are lighter than ammo cans, but I'm wondering if the exhaust will make the plastic soft and eventually melt when it gets hot?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #15

esblow,
If you notice in this pic, my exhaust actually exits the pipe out the bottom, so I think that may help.

</img>

I've ridden the bike around my neighborhood quite a bit and the box doesn't seem to get warm at all. However, this thought did cross my mind. If I find that the box is getting warm, I was planning on taking a piece of this sheet metal or aluminum and cutting a piece to fit on the box between it and the exhaust. If I use some washers to stand the metal off the plastic just a little, it should make an effective heat shield and allow it to both reflect heat, and dissipate heat with airflow between the metal and the box. At least in theory I'm thinking. I may have to do this when the weather warms up again next year....I guess we'll see.

NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by esblow
I like these and am considering doing the same thing since they are lighter than ammo cans, but I'm wondering if the exhaust will make the plastic soft and eventually melt when it gets hot?