Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2024, 02:09 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
If (when) that wheel collapses at 60mph ,I bet you will wish you fixed your stupid wheel that you have known about for months already .
What would cause that to happen. All the other spokes are fine, the wheel is true. BTW are you the Bruce from endlessjourneyscycles or something it was called 15 years ago up in Ohio?

Old 02-19-2024, 02:58 PM   #122

oh by the way I had to replace my kill switch. easy to do. but I think its backwards. the button on top is on and the middle button is off. I could have swore it was different.

Old 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM   #123

The wheel is under tension ,the stresses are huge and are designed to be equal all around the wheel ,your missing a spoke on a cheaply made wheel ,so now the other spokes are having to do the work of their missing brother and eventually they will start failing and literally the wheel will collapse .Let me ask you a question ,do you understand that your entire bike is made with the cheapest parts they can find ,in order to sell it as cheap as they do ? Then ,why did they bother to put so many spokes on your wheels if they are not needed ?

Old 02-19-2024, 08:13 PM   #124

I know that a rim is one of the expensive items, but your rim can probably be saved. All it needs is to be able to hold the " head" in the rim without pulling through, and be countersunk about as flush as the others. I would try either a small conical washer, or if you could find one of those real thin washers and use a small bolt and tap to pull it down in the recess. A star lock washer would probably work, because they are thin. A second, and better option is to find a small body shop, or muffler shop,cand and have them tig weld the hole, and then just redrill it. If you know someone who welds, or could braize it then that's great, but even if you have to pay a little at a shop, it should not be too much. Unless your sure of a friends welding skills, then I don't think I would let them try a wire feed or arc weld, because they may burn the hole even bigger. Anyway it's worth trying to fix.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:06 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
The wheel is under tension ,the stresses are huge and are designed to be equal all around the wheel ,your missing a spoke on a cheaply made wheel ,so now the other spokes are having to do the work of their missing brother and eventually they will start failing and literally the wheel will collapse .Let me ask you a question ,do you understand that your entire bike is made with the cheapest parts they can find ,in order to sell it as cheap as they do ? Then ,why did they bother to put so many spokes on your wheels if they are not needed ?
alright dammit you convinced me!

I am so sick of the voice of reason messing with my plans.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:07 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I know that a rim is one of the expensive items, but your rim can probably be saved. All it needs is to be able to hold the " head" in the rim without pulling through, and be countersunk about as flush as the others. I would try either a small conical washer, or if you could find one of those real thin washers and use a small bolt and tap to pull it down in the recess. A star lock washer would probably work, because they are thin. A second, and better option is to find a small body shop, or muffler shop,cand and have them tig weld the hole, and then just redrill it. If you know someone who welds, or could braize it then that's great, but even if you have to pay a little at a shop, it should not be too much. Unless your sure of a friends welding skills, then I don't think I would let them try a wire feed or arc weld, because they may burn the hole even bigger. Anyway it's worth trying to fix.
I am ordering the rim. I have road side assistance but the idea of that baby failing at 60 mph like Bruce said and then my guts being strewn all over the highway. well...I am ordering the rim.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:27 PM   #127

Peace of mind......priceless.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 02-23-2024, 05:46 PM   #128

Grin

Well, I once again risked my life on the Hawk today. The weather was pretty decent, so I took it up to Wheeling, then out the creek, and finally, home. Put about 70 miles on it. It just keeps chugging along, but I just wish my body was made of rubber or something! Anyway, had to share. Not sure why, but I had to.
I can't wait for spring. Every dang time I think I wanna get rid of the bike, the weather breaks, and I take her for a ride and remember what she means to me. She's my independence. I'll never be able to sell her and get anywhere near what I've put into her or what she means to me. I think I'm right around 2 grand at this point. It's money well spent.
Even as I'm lying in my hospice bed years from now, with my bones ground into dust from not getting a counterbalanced motor, I'll look back fondly on these days and remember all of you.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:17 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
Well, I once again risked my life on the Hawk today. The weather was pretty decent, so I took it up to Wheeling, then out the creek, and finally, home. Put about 70 miles on it. It just keeps chugging along, but I just wish my body was made of rubber or something! Anyway, had to share. Not sure why, but I had to.
I can't wait for spring. Every dang time I think I wanna get rid of the bike, the weather breaks, and I take her for a ride and remember what she means to me. She's my independence. I'll never be able to sell her and get anywhere near what I've put into her or what she means to me. I think I'm right around 2 grand at this point. It's money well spent.
Even as I'm lying in my hospice bed years from now, with my bones ground into dust from not getting a counterbalanced motor, I'll look back fondly on these days and remember all of you.
My first Chinese bike was a Brozz( counterbalanced), and I don't know, if I am just less sensitive to vibration, or what, but on my TBR7 , or non ballenced Hawk,I really never noticed the handgrips vibration, that people speak of, and have never had my mirrors vibrating, and distorting the image,that I also have heard about.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:13 PM   #130

The problem is when the engine vibration is out of sync with the vibrations in my soul. When that happens, I have to take a deep breath and then remind myself I am completely insane and not to take my thoughts too seriously.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:39 PM   #131

Its a single cylinder, they don't call them thumpers for nothing...

Sure a balance shaft helps a bit but really its baked into the engine dynamics.

I was getting numb thumbs for awhile but then I learned to relax my grip and overall riding posture which overtime the vibrations seem less taxing to the point I stopped noticing...

However I think my phat tapered bars and pillow grips helped.

I think most fatigue issues are just bad riding habits and poor ergonomic setups for the most part.

Still advised to take rest stops.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:10 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
I was getting numb thumbs for awhile but then I learned to relax my grip and overall riding posture which overtime the vibrations seem less taxing to the point I stopped noticing.\
Yeah yesterday I took note of the fact that I am gripping very tightly and I need to relax that grip somewhat.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:29 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
Yeah yesterday I took note of the fact that I am gripping very tightly and I need to relax that grip somewhat.
I do the same thing. The more seat time I get, the more relaxed I've become and the fatigue is much less now compared to last year when I 1st started riding.

My buddy's TT250 is counterbalanced. It's a little smoother, but I've always been in positions where I had to adapt to what I could get my hands on rather picking and choosing........"beggars can't be choosers" would be the phrase that applies to me, not that I beg. I pride myself in being adaptable.
strength!)

Old 02-24-2024, 08:34 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
on non ballenced Hawk,I really never noticed the handgrips vibration, that people speak of, and have never had my mirrors vibrating, and distorting the image,that I also have heard about.
I'm not a fan of the stock seemingly hard plastic waffle grips on my Hawk DLX, but vibration isn't an issue and the image in my mirrors is just fine. If I stare at a stop, I can see my front fender vibrating, otherwise, I don't really notice.
strength!)

Old 02-26-2024, 07:55 PM   #135

I had a 2007 Lifan GY-5 that was counterbalanced. Looking back on it now, it was half the bike my Hawk is. But somewhat smoother. It did have better quality controls and electronics and shit and that was back in 2008 when I had it. It was just less robust..that is the only way I can explain it and also..it was pretty much worn out when I sold it at 10000 units (6000 miles) and in comparison, my Hawk is just getting started. But..I dont beat on it like a dirtbike I use it as a commuter. That is a big factor here. I wish someone would trade me for a street bike. its killing me guys., roids and my bones.