Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2024, 09:25 PM   #1

Choke lever conversion to Pull type

So hopefully this will make sense. I used to have a 2004 Yamaha XT225 where on the handlebar was a push in/out multi position choke. Now I have a X Pro Templar X with a tiny lever kinda like a clutch/front brake lever with a cable.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to replace the mine clutch style lever with a push button multi position choke so I don’t have to stand awkwardly holding that lever in ever so slightly for like 5-10 minutes as the bike decides it wants to warm up.

I would need it to connect to the existing cable and or come with a cable setup. I’ve seen some for atvs on Amazon but I have no idea if it would work. Obviously some carbs have the push style directing on the carb but we all know how tight the space is in the templars so I’m gonna pass on that option.

Old 01-27-2024, 01:03 PM   #2

On mine I richened up the low speed jet to minimize the time I needed to hold that lever. I found that annoying mornings when using the bike to commute. I can live with the minute or two it needs now. I don't want to go off hauling butt with dead cold engine oil anyway. That was the last step in tweaking the carb tuning to where I wanted it, I had already adjusted the midrange and high speed to my satisfaction.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:32 PM   #3

Before I got my Templar, I thought that was a compression release lever

I like the pull button type (on-the-carb). That's what I have on the KTM (Mikuni). The lever on the carb type is on the Storm and I like that too. It is a Youall carb.

I agree that the tiny lever on the Templar can be a bit awkward. But like Pete, I also enriched the low end (42.5 jet, and adjusted the airmix screw in my case~800ft elevation). I usually don't need choke for more than a moment just to get it started unless it is very cold out. And even then it doesn't need it at all in less than a minute.

I googled this and found both cabled pull type and on the carb pull type.
"pull type choke for Chinese bike"

But some of them have the cylindrical nub on the cable or nothing (small clamp). The on-the-carb type are available, but not sure if the threads or the seat will be right.

You might have to roll the dice and see what works. Check this one out (ebay)
"03-08 Z400 LTZ400 KFX400 Z LTZ KFX 400 Mikuni Choke Kit"
$10

Old 01-28-2024, 12:31 PM   #4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00230I156/

If you already have a cable actuated choke, this should work. I've used them successfully on many bikes with that trigger style choke lever. Which by the time I see them have usually been broken off, and their perches also broken off, by ham-fisted owners.

You can clamp this to your handlebars any old where. The lever is analog, and stays wherever you pivot it.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:03 PM   #5

I appreciate all the responses! I’m gonna probably buy a couple different ones and see if they work. Luckily/unluckily my carb at 17 miles started overflowing so I had to already pull the carb.

Fingers crossed I attach everything back correctly! Lol