Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2024, 05:04 PM   #1

Need advice with rings ...

My big bore kit came in a while ago, and there are no instructions on which ring goes in the top groove, or second. The stock top ring has no markings,and is bright metal on the flat surface,and the middle ring has a D that was facing up, and the ring is black on the flat area. The two compression rings with the kit do have one with black flat surface, the surface that contacts the cylinder wall also has a "step" in it, it also has a D marking.and one with bright metal flat surface, and has a DY on one side of the gap, and DLC 1, or DLC I on the other side of the gap. I appreciate any advice. Thanks. I don't know why the thumbs down emoji is beside the title of the post. I must have accidentally hit something.LOL

Old 01-09-2024, 05:37 PM   #2

What emoji? lol
Those marking very from manufacturer to manufacturer. You will need to get the information from the seller.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-09-2024, 05:49 PM   #3

Top ring is usually squared off. The second ring most of the time will have a bevel to it. The wider part of the bevel faces down.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-09-2024, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Top ring is usually squared off. The second ring most of the time will have a bevel to it. The wider part of the bevel faces down.
Neither ring has any kind of noticable bevel on the inside diameter. The one that I suspect is the second ring has this step on the outside diameter. This is an example of what I mean.http://

Old 01-09-2024, 07:59 PM   #5

I found another illustration, and starting to feel confident that the ring with the step is the second ring. It's evidently called a scraper. http://

Old 01-10-2024, 05:02 PM   #6

Well, I slapped her together, using the stepped ring as the second ring. I tried to contact the seller earlier today, not as much about the rings, because I think I already had those figured out, but because the smaller of the two valve reliefs was on the intake side of the piston. It was just a shallow mark, not much more than a scratch, and the one on the exhaust side was the deeper of the two. I thought they may have marked it wrong, but while waiting I watched as many videos as I could find, and a guy , I think called motoTaco had a kit, and even though he didn't mention it, it looked like his intake side of the piston had the lightest valves relief. I went ahead and used the roller followers. Before starting it , I put in a 125 main into the old PZ30 that was stock on the TBR7, but I was running ( worked over) on the Hawk, and even though I didn't ride the bike, it sounds good. I ran it for a little while, and it sounds real healthy. I didn't roll it outside, but I am pretty sure it sounds like a bigger bike. I may take it down the road tomorrow, but our weather has not been riding weather lately. I didn't have any conventional oil, so I have the synthetic that was already in it, and about half a quart of new synthetic in it to replace what I lost when I did the cam, and ignition advance. I have a Nibbi PE28FL ordered. I don't plan on running my bike up in the higher RPM range, that the cam would allow. I mainly wanted to have the bike have the ability to pull harder up around 7,000-8,000 rpm. I really was pretty satisfied with the bike before doing this work to it, but on fast long hills, the bike often ran out of momentum , because it was already running ( rpm)past it's optimal power curve. . If I lived somewhere flat, or was under 200 lbs, I would be satisfied with just an exhaust, and proper jetting, and gearing. Thanks for all the good advice y'all have shared.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:20 PM   #7

Well, it warmed up to close to 50 today, and I went on a pretty long loop going into town, and back. I am really close on carb settings,I think. About the only issue I have is that I get the little hiccup, when I let off the throttle, after running it wide open. I figure lowering the needle will do the trick. I have kinda given up on trying to baby it, because it's not possible to keep the rpm real low on a small motor motorcycle, and still run at legal speed, plus I wanted to see exactly how my motor runs. It really comes on from about 6,500 up, and from 7,000 to 8,000 it really builds fast. I was on a fairly fast, but somewhat curvey secondary road that I run a lot, and was opening it up in 4th on the little straight sections between curves, and it was actually scaring me, not because of the power, but because it was picking up more speed than it ever did on that road. I may have let it go above 8,000 just a little, but tried to keep from it. I have watched videos of people that have did similar work to their CG Chinese bikes, and I really wasn't impressed. To me just watching the videos,the bikes didn't seem to run much different than my bikes that just had proper jetting, and free flowing exhaust, but now I understand why they noticed a difference. I need to get the KPX out, and ride it some, because the Hawk has been getting all the attention, and the KPX hasn't even been started in at least 3 weeks, and possibly a month.