Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2023, 09:42 AM   #1

Hawk DLX Fork Tube Spacers and fluid change

Has anyone done any mods to these inverted forks? I really want to add some preload, but not sure how these things come apart? I assume I have to remove them and will also replace the fluid with some better stuff.....Any suggestions for either? I searched around a bit and found references to the Hawk 250, but not the DLX forks.....I am wanting to stiffen both ends up a bit. I am 200ish pounds and maybe these are set up for your average chinese factory worker. 160 pounds maybe?

Old 10-22-2023, 10:58 AM   #2

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=28049

Old 10-22-2023, 01:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7sithis View Post
I checked that thread out, but it has no info on the inverted fork preload. Has anyone dissasembled these on the forum? I think I may just change out the fluid and see what that gets me....

Old 10-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomshell View Post
I checked that thread out, but it has no info on the inverted fork preload. Has anyone dissasembled these on the forum? I think I may just change out the fluid and see what that gets me....
Seems like you just might be the first. From what I have gathered, most people who buy these China bikes are beginner riders and have never done ANY mechanic work. Now, get after it!

I have done basic to intermediate mechanic work. Simple jobs like replacing alternator, water pump, timing belt, half shafts, thermostat, radiator, brake pads/rotors etc. The biggest job to date will be taking the head off my 1992 Honda Accord and doing a valve job, then putting it back on.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 10-22-2023, 11:52 PM   #5

I found on you tube. It shows the disassembly really well.I am not sure if it matters where the spacers go, but I will disassemble mine Tuesday and check it out. Maybe I will make a shorter, more concise video with details about whatever I end up using. Right now I am leaning toward adding about 3/4 to 1 inch. Ideally plastic, but I work at Ace Hardware so tomorrow I will surely find something.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:34 AM   #6

I think most guys use PVC pipe for pre-load spacers, just not sure of the dimensions. This is something I need to do as well, just not really looking forward to it.

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 10-25-2023, 01:11 AM   #7

I got it done today, will ride in the AM and share the results. Will throw together a how to video with some dimensions. It went well.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:36 PM   #8

Crude video completed

Last edited by Tomshell; 10-27-2023 at 05:19 PM.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:35 PM   #9

Shows unavailable, video private...

Old 10-27-2023, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Shows unavailable, video private...
ok try now....

Old 10-29-2023, 07:36 PM   #11

Spacer Update

The spacer removed all the unlaoaded sag out, and removed a bunch of the loaded sag too. The front end seems taller, and stiffer. Maybe a bit harsh, but I am just getting to know it. I rode about 25 miles in the rocky sandy desert after putting it back together. Between the rear shock adjustment and this mod I like the ride much more. I don't think I will change anything, at least not until I can ride a bunch more on various surfaces/conditions.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:07 AM   #12

I don't know about the Hawk DLX, but I did fix my Bashan Storm 250 which has similar front end. I ended up with 9.5oz. or 285cc 15W Maxima fork oil. It was bottoming out badly when I got it and I could only do Woops at like 15 mph but more like 45 mph after. If I remember correctly, I only got about 215cc out of each fork before the changeout.

2016 Magician 250