Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2023, 12:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
At one time you could. I haven't looked yet to see if the base is still available.
I remember seeing the baseplate seller separately, a few years ago, when I was long for a trunk, but they will probably be 1/2 to 3/4 the price of a trunk. I remember seeing some good deals on the whole package from Amazon warehouse in the past. They call some items used, but from what I have seen, it's just things in tore up, or missing packing. I think that you could get items with damage, because I have seen things selling, and described as having scuffs, but I have always bought items described as like new, or very good.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:06 PM   #17

If I ever get around putting this thing on AND getting her to test ride with me AND she approves, then maybe I will get to start shopping for a hitch-mount bike carrier.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
If I ever get around putting this thing on AND getting her to test ride with me AND she approves, then maybe I will get to start shopping for a hitch-mount bike carrier.
I use the one from Harbor freight. It is surprisingly great. I modified mine because I have a double hitch. It’s held up perfectly for years and traveling all around the country. Many thousands of miles. Might be worth a look. East to justify too since it’s not at all expensive

Old 08-16-2023, 10:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
I use the one from Harbor freight.
I've been eyeing that one. Thinking I would modify it so I can hold the bike down by foot peg J-bolts instead of straps. In the reviews it looks like I'd want to extend the ramp for a less steep slope. Neither a big deal.

Old 08-16-2023, 10:52 AM   #20

This one looks like it has the bottom base plate included, currently for $53. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on this, as I've been through three different methods of carrying gear and am unhappy with each. Backpack is most convenient, but without a hard-shell pack I really try and not carry anything metal or sharp in case I have to "lay 'er down" (aka crash), and on hot days it sweats up the back pretty nicely. Two different soft-bags have worked aight, but a soft case is a pain because you have to smoosh everything inside to make a tight fit. I just want to have my small work backpack dropped in a hard locked shell, pull it out, and be done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF5S1S4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Old 08-16-2023, 11:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
This one looks like it has the bottom base plate included, currently for $53. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on this, as I've been through three different methods of carrying gear and am unhappy with each. Backpack is most convenient, but without a hard-shell pack I really try and not carry anything metal or sharp in case I have to "lay 'er down" (aka crash), and on hot days it sweats up the back pretty nicely. Two different soft-bags have worked aight, but a soft case is a pain because you have to smoosh everything inside to make a tight fit. I just want to have my small work backpack dropped in a hard locked shell, pull it out, and be done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF5S1S4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
That's the one I have. It's a good solid case. I added LED lights for brakes and turn signals.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-16-2023, 12:48 PM   #22

Quote:
That's the one I have. It's a good solid case. I added LED lights for brakes and turn signals.

Yea I looked around until I saw the same base as in your pic. How is the process to add extra lights to those? I'm fine dealing with electrical stuff but just curious on the actual parts you used. After one time of having my rear bulb burn out (before switching to LED) and nearly getting rear ended (car behind braked hard enough to squeal the tires), I'll take everything I can get to make it more visible.

Old 08-16-2023, 01:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
Yea I looked around until I saw the same base as in your pic. How is the process to add extra lights to those? I'm fine dealing with electrical stuff but just curious on the actual parts you used. After one time of having my rear bulb burn out (before switching to LED) and nearly getting rear ended (car behind braked hard enough to squeal the tires), I'll take everything I can get to make it more visible.
I have a thread somewhere on here on the process. I installed the truck a few years ago.

Found it. https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22247
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-16-2023, 01:18 PM   #24

The one I have is prewired with LED's for the extra brake and turn signals. Even has a plug that goes on to join the wires to whatever the thing was meant for I guess. The plug does me no good as I have no mate for it but I'm sure I can conjure up some sort of quick release with some weatherpak connectors or something. I can't have those extra lights on there but not working. That they add more visibility is a bonus.

Edit. and I just saw how JerryHawk250 used a trailer plug. Yep, weatherpak is kind of overkill and I've got trailer plugs in the stash already.

Old 08-16-2023, 01:41 PM   #25

Quote:
I have a thread somewhere on here on the process. I installed the truck a few years ago.

Found it. https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22247

Awesome! Thanks so much Jerry, I thought I had seen it somewhere at some time.

Did you just splice directly from the existing turn signal and brake light wires?

Old 08-31-2023, 08:02 AM   #26

Bam! Got it done, and it's 10x easier than carrying a backpack, or strapping down a backpack, or strapping down a soft bag. Just drop 'n lock. Of course, the actual construction isn't the most solid, as I bet a good yank would pop that plastic lock right off. But I'm not really looking for a bomb-proof safe, just something with a hard shell to drop items into and snap shut. Hopefully soon I'll get around to the LED light mod and post a video if I do.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:41 AM   #27

I put one of those on the Maggot and it was one of my better purchases. It was so long ago that I got it from Sears.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-31-2023, 10:12 AM   #28

I did get the base plate on and used philips screws to hold the trunk. Thinking I'd like to replace those with wingnuts or another tool less solution. Later. I thought the wiring might be fairly simple. Ground, L turn, R turn, brake is what's in the trunk. OK. Under the fender the Templar has a cluster of like a dozen wires. Bleah. Procrastinate.

Also the over the top stripe graphics on the Templar don't quite go with a plain shiny black trunk. I'm not pulling any stickers so I guess I get to design some more decals. Did I mention procrastination?

Mine is much like flopsweat's in that I believe it would explode like a glass light bulb the first time the bike got dropped on a trail. This thing is NOT for off road use.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:23 AM   #29

I wonder if one of these doohickeys might do the trick. It says it comes with a braking and turn signal function, so might be a bit simpler to install. I literally saw something like this for the first time this morning, where a guy braked and his entire undercarriage lit up red.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCS1WF49

Old 09-25-2023, 01:21 PM   #30

Fella I used to work with had some of that on his big cruiser. I told him it looked like a two-wheeled jukebox.

Younger guy. Yep. Next question was "What's a jukebox?"

Just me though. My big cruiser has a tail light with a brake light and headlight with high and low beams. No other lights on it but for the tiny one that says my generator is inop. (Legal here)