Your suggestion might work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honda-cb125s-s1-1974-usa-main-standstep-bar_mediumhu0213f4115_b236.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	29783  

Old 08-04-2023, 05:46 PM   #692

I put new chain sprocket on and has made a big difference. The bike handles great until about 50 mph. Then it vibrates pretty bad still. But I only have less than 300 miles in it. Does it get better after break in, is this common or do I have something else going on. I have tripled checked rear wheel alignment and chain slack. They look good. Thanks

Old 08-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #693

Cmoore... does it seem to vibrate more at one end than the other? It is possible one of the tires is out of balance. If you can suspend the tires the front would tend to rotate to have the heavy spot at the bottom, and might do that even if you rotated the wheel to say, 9 or 3 o'clock.
To check the rear tire, likely, unless heavily out of balance, the chain would have to be removed from the rear sprocket due to friction. If there was a heavy spot it would tend towards 6 o'clock.
You may want to check also for out of round. Spin the tires while off the ground and watch the tread as it goes by one spot. It should not vary much at all in its radial position. A round tire & wheel will rotate past one spot and the outermost surface of the tire will have the same position relative to a spot you pick. It should not vary but spin by smoothly. The rim of the wheel is also an indicator and can be observed the same way. Broken or mis-adjusted spokes can cause a rim to vary in its rotation.
tom

Old 08-05-2023, 10:20 AM   #694

Cmmoore72,
I don't have that 50 MPH vibration on my DF. One of your tires could be way out of balance as suggested above. There are no weights on my rims. Maybe out of round too?

Anybody try Ride-On Motorcycle Tire Balancer & Sealant on their bike to balance the tires?
I just had a flat on my rear tire and can't find the puncture so will remove the tire and check the tube. The bubbles are coming out around the valve.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:20 AM   #695

Turns out the flat was caused by a tear in the inter tube close to the valve stem. That must have happened when the wheel was put together at the factory. It was a very slow leak as I have over 100 miles on the bike. The soapy water test before I removed the wheel showed a very slow leak coming out of the nut area on the valve stem. Almost like it could have been a tubeless tire leak. I ordered a new tube from Amazon as no one had a tube.
First flat I have had in many years,knock on wood.
Dot on tire goes next to valve stem, right?

Hole in tube. I poked the pencil in the hole to show the size of the hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2023-08-06-15-38-15-109.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	29856  

Last edited by Barnone; 08-06-2023 at 07:13 PM.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:14 AM   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Turns out the flat was caused by a tear in the inter tube close to the valve stem. That must have happened when the wheel was put together at the factory. It was a very slow leak as I have over 100 miles on the bike. The soapy water test before I removed the wheel showed a very slow leak coming out of the nut area on the valve stem. Almost like it could have been a tubeless tire leak. I ordered a new tube from Amazon as no one had a tube.

You're going to have to stop riding over pencils lol . The dot usually goes near the stem.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-07-2023, 08:49 AM   #697

^^^^
Will Sharpies make the same hole in the tube?
The tube is supposed to arrive today so I should be riding by tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:51 AM   #698

Quote:
^^^^
Will Sharpies make the same hole in the tube?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-07-2023, 10:14 AM   #699

Quote:

I remember getting a flat long ago when the tire and tube slide backwards on the rim under heavy braking because low tire pressure allowed the tire/tube to move on the rim. That ripped the valve stem out of the tube causing a leak/flat. The valve stem had a locking nut at the base that kept the valve stem in place even though the tube had moved.

The solution was to remove that locking nut so the valve stem could move with the tube.. at least a little... without pulling out and, more importantly, keeping a close eye on tire pressure. But it was an easy to see visual indicator if the tire/tube had moved on the rim because without that locking nut the valve stem would move and be tilted allowing the tire/tube situation to be fixed before getting a dangerous flat tire.

Old 08-07-2023, 02:25 PM   #700

Barnone:Turns out the flat was caused by a tear in the inter tube close to the valve stem.

Did you consider using a patch? The tube looks good and fresh, not discolored with age or lacking in flexibility. I realize many don't know how, or consider patching something that is not acceptable nowdays, but it was done all the time prior to tubeless tires. I bought the large container of patch 'solvent' and store it in the freezer to keep it from evaporating, so I have some on hand. The little tubes dry out once they are pierced to allow dispensing. The patch just seals the tube from leakage, and it backed up by the tire sidewall (or potentially the rim) so it has no real pressure that is not compensated for by it being enclosed. My take is they are just as safe as a tube-type is prior to being patched.
I expect there will be differing opinions.
tom

Old 08-07-2023, 04:49 PM   #701

I would have patched it but it was a long tear. Patched tubes for years working in a gas station when I was a kid and some more later in life. No big deal.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:57 PM   #702

Got the new tube installed and the wheel is way out of balance. I put a heavy weight on it and it is still out of balance. Think I will take it to my local shop and have them check it.

Old 08-12-2023, 10:06 AM   #703

Local shop is closed for some reason. Only one in my area so I balanced the wheel and took her for a ride, all is ok.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:04 AM   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResource95 View Post
My white DF250RTG
Current modifications: Bars, grips, mirrors, digital speedo, seat, blinkers

Speedo still needs to be programmed and I need to figure out a mount. Any suggestions on universal mounts for the gauge cluster? I was thinking one of these might work?

If anyone is interested in the stock parts I deleted let me know. I don't plan to use the bars, mirrors, or seat for anything. Located in Pensacola FL
Your bike looks sweet man! I’ve got a white DF250RTG and going to install the clubman bars. Was it a hassle to install them?

Old 08-19-2023, 05:23 PM   #705

Beautiful day here on the Dragon ETN & WNC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2023-08-19-13-28-21-139 (1) (1).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	29944