Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #1

My first Hawk 250 DLX issue (help!)

Hey guys bike died on the side of the road after 4500 miles of trouble free usage. There were no symptoms leading up to this and when I say died zero power. No display horn lights and certainly no start. And no it wasn't the kill switch or battery terminals. I wasn't a dead battery as I boosted that. After some digging the blue 15amp fuse in the location pictured had blown. With the key off I inserted the spare fuse and it immediately blew. I took the 30amp fuse that comes stock on the positive red wire at the battery and put that in. Bike now starts and runs.

So its pouring rain here and I have to go to work but obviously I'm going to trace the wires back to see if theres any chafing etc. IMO upping the fuses isn't generally a great idea and I'm worried if I keep running it something else will fry. Or maybe these are really cheap chinese fuses and I'll be fine from here. Any help would be appreciated thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	29521  

Old 06-28-2023, 06:56 AM   #2

Theres got to be a short somewhere,bigger fuse is not the answer. Will just burn something else up. Sounds like a pinched wire to me,find that and problem over. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:49 AM   #3

I also have to agree, raising the amp rating on a fuse that's blowing is very likely going to cause bigger issues. If something is shorted (like a pinched wire) and is pulling 20 amps when it should be pulling maybe 5 amps, it will keep pulling the incorrect 20 amps if a 30 amp fuse is being used. That would for sure burn something else up, if not multiple things.

I personally don't know what that fuse is for, I would try and trace out where it comes from if you don't have the documentation. If EVERYTHING died, I'd bet the problem will be pretty obvious once you find it.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:15 AM   #4

can't add any value to this one, but good luck. I hate electrical problems. :(

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:21 PM   #5

My thoughts would be to pay careful attention to the wiring around the the fork neck!

Old 07-02-2023, 04:18 PM   #6

Ok I really dug into the large wire group that runs from front to back. On the efi it looks like the picture once opened. Sure enough had two wires touching the frame and kinda fused together and one wire pinched. Figured this out by poking around where the wires were with key on they sparked a little (not the best way to figure it out I know but it sure narrowed it down). The location was under the gas tank right where the wires pass over the top engine mount. The tank sort of presses this wiring here a little.

Solution was obvious but in case this helps someone. Cut out the bad area, added new bigger wires, and sodder for good measure. For me the piece of mind key was to rewrap the wires in much better overlapping electrical tape then I wrapped it all again in thick ice and water shield. And I added the same IW shield to the engine mount itself and all along the the whole strand where it makes contact with metal and potential sharp objects.

Never figured out what the fuse goes to but theres only 3 on the whole bike I think so all the individual systems don't get protected. Dunno which fuse protects what....

And finally for what its worth, I'd highly recommend any efi owner old or new do this repair before it happens to you. Easier to do it when you put it together than regret it later. Plus sparks near your gas tank isn't really and ideal situation. Thanks guys!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse2.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	29563  

Old 07-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #7

First, thanks for the follow up report! My DLX was made in 12/20. Just wondering what date yours was made? Mine has clips that holds the wiring from movement at the steering neck and the wiring is well insulated. Just curious and Thanks again

Old 07-04-2023, 04:10 PM   #8

Thanks J4fun. Mines a 2021. I doubt theres any difference. I would take a much closer look at your wiring protection. Yes, there is an okay looking wire loom starting from the back of the headlight area and it goes down to the gas tank. Problem is it ends once its just out of sight near the forward part of the gas tank. After that its about one layer of cheap electrical tape between metal and your wires. I'd also get rid of those worthless flexible metal wire holders that are nothing more than another shape chafe point and replace with good wide zip ties or something else. Not trying to freak you guys out, but like many things with the hawk, if you haven't addressed this yet its likely to come back to bite you. And its basically a free repair/upgrade.

Did a youtube video on it. This gives you an okay visual of what happened to me and the wiring in question:

Old 07-04-2023, 05:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
can't add any value to this one, but good luck. I hate electrical problems. :(
Just as an aside and just for fun not a thread hijack....

Every time I watch an episode, any episode from any of the myriad of series, of Star Trek I can't help but wonder what one mouse could do to all those star ship controls/displays.

Ok folks.... please carry on.