Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2023, 01:19 PM   #1

Templar X, Titan DLX, Hawk DLX, Which, What For, and Why?

Hawk DLX, 280lbs, 5 Speed, 229cc EFI, Kick option

Templar X, 258lbs, 6 Speed, 250cc Carb, Electric only ('adjustable' suspension, actual utility questionable)

Titan DLX, 231lbs, 5 Speed, 232cc Carb, Kick option

KPX? Haven't looked into it. But a lot more expensive

I would like to pick two to mess around with and see which would suit me better and sell off the other, but don't really want to get all three, unless there is a good reason to.

If you could pick 2 out of the 3 for cheap bikes to build and mess around on/off road (trails) which would they be?

What are the main handling differences and why? The hawk is pretty substantially heavier

I have heard the Templar X and the TItan are more dirt oriented than the Hawk DLX, with the Templar more than the Titan.

Also which dealers do you recommend (I would be putting them together myself)

Old 05-20-2023, 02:46 PM   #2

There all nice, I have the Hawk DLX, but I would have the KPX now if it was available then. The bike is nice and seems so much more better than the other ones, and yes I think the money makes the difference. All in all it could boil down to what your wallet tells you

Old 05-20-2023, 08:32 PM   #3

Yeah, the more I look into the KPX the nicer it seems, just not sure if I can justify the price. A combo with the Templar X might be good, one more dirt oriented bike, and one more street oriented.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:01 PM   #4

I bought the Templar X even though I suspect a Hawk would have better suited my more street oriented dual sport needs. But the extra gear, being an actual 250, and being more of an enduro sucked me in. I'll admit I don't and won't actually ride enduro but the style and suspension kind of rock anyway. This bike is kind overkill for the kind of putzing about on trails I'll ever do. But I know it.

EFI was out for me. Right now the carbs are more long term serviceable. EFI bits tend to be pretty proprietary on anything and I'm not real confident in long term parts availability yet. Parts for any Chinese can be tricky. I had a past experience with an older bike years ago that I never got running and just resold dead for want of a proprietary ignition module no one seemed to have. Kind of stuck with me. I figure I'm setting myself for that to some extent already but at least I have choices if I need or want a new carburetor. Perhaps there will be more EFI parts out there in the near future as the use becomes more common and it will be less a deciding factor.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:14 PM   #5

Hawk has lower seat height. Templars are tall (36inch seat height). But it is a long seat. Hawk has shorter wheelbase. Templar is truly an Enduro scaled bike.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #6

I couldn't see going with anything that's not a 6 speed. Templar X is more cost effective. (cheap). 6 speed and real 250cc and only 1800. KPX has such good reviews though.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the info, really liking the two bike KPX and Templar X combo idea. May have found a deal on a KPX also, so that may be a possiblity...

Size and performance-wise, how do these compare to say an XT225, DR 200, and DR 350? I have used both in the past, 6 speed on the DR 350 is definitely nice.

Last edited by Spring1898; 05-22-2023 at 09:18 PM.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc3 View Post
Templar X suspension is really nice and modern. After seeing all the posts about the difference between the M and X really makes me kick myself for not getting the X. 5 speed really gets you to about 55 maxed out and I suspect 6 speeds make driving that speed more comfortable. I like the inverted fork design vs the legacy. The digital cluster is more compact and modern and the seat doesn't look goofy vs hawk. The build quality is probably the same where nothing is locktite and bolts fall off going down the road, the carbs are not calibrated very well (if they can be stock). Getting on and off templar is fine if you mount it like a horse with foot on peg and stand up and leg over. The peg stand might wear out and it is welded on like other parts of the frame. Titan dlx looks just about like the templar/xpro regular bike frame with just a different sticker set...meaning crappy shocks and wheel mounts vs the X. Would be nice if the importers just stuck with the OEM name we get on the titles.

Here is what I am talking about .... not sure how to get this forum not to mangle my links but go in about 12-13minutes on each video and look at the difference.

vs

You can se the X has much better front wheel mount for much better quality for higher speeds.
I really kick myself too. I'm constantly looking for that 6th gear that isn't there on my M. I didn't know much about, if anything on the X when I bought my Templar M last year. After getting my M dialed in I have no major complaints with it and don't regret buying it. But yeah the X is just a better bike and for only a few hundred more you get a lot of what you'll wish you had on the M.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring1898 View Post
Thanks for the info, really liking the two bike KPX and Templar X combo idea. May have found a deal on a KPX also, so that may be a possiblity...

Size and performance-wise, how do these compare to say an XT225, DR 200, and DR 350? I have used both in the past, 6 speed on the DR 350 is definitely nice.
Performance wise the Templar is really close to the CRF250F with maybe a slightly taller seat height on the Templar.