Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2023, 12:42 PM   #1

KPX oil leak.

I'm in process of checking / adjusting the valves on the KPX today. I removed the stator cover inspection plugs to rotate the motor and there is alot of oil in there. I plan to remove the cover and see where it is coming from. I sure hope it isn't the crank shaft seal. I also think the bike is a little on the lean side.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:16 PM   #2

Now I'm questioning whether I'm going crazy. I think the stator is supposed to run dry. I started to remove the cover then I realized the starter drive is in there too. So Me thinks this thing is supposed to be wet in there. Or hell maybe I'm thinking of the old magneto ignitions. Someone come straighten out my crazy today. LOL

Old 05-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #3

Just a thought here, everything looks normal to me! The spark plug shows lean and on your bike I would think that’s normal too…for fun check your chain tension

Old 05-20-2023, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
Just a thought here, everything looks normal to me! The spark plug shows lean and on your bike I would think that’s normal too…for fun check your chain tension
I would like it to be a little more brown in color. But fuel injection bikes may run a tad on the leaner side of things. Not sure, this is the first F.I. bike I've owned. Oh and trust me on a stock Chinesium chain one must check chain tension frequently LOL. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #5

There is no crank seal under that cover. Just like the CG engines the stator cover is intended to have a small volume of oil get splashed around inside of it for the one way bearing on the flywheel and for the ears an bearings of the starter system. The flywheel shields the stator from a majority of the oil, and the wires are enameled and epoxied on the windings to protect them from the little bits that do get past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
I would like it to be a little more brown in color. But fuel injection bikes may run a tad on the leaner side of things. Not sure, this is the first F.I. bike I've owned.
Most fuel injected engines run that lean. Maybe a touch of tan in a spot or two. The reason they usually do end up that clean is due to EFI being so much more finely tuneable that they can be run very lean during idle and part throttle with no risk to the motor. Once the plug is subjected to that leaner low load enironment all of the soot or other buildup on the plug gets burned away.

You don't risk melting a hole in a piston at 15.5-16:1 AFR when the throttle isn't open at all, or only about 10-20%. And yes, many fuel injection systems are prorammed this way. The biggest challenge manufacturers have with fuel tuning is getting the fuel enrichment tables right when the throttle is opened more and the AFR needs to increase.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-20-2023, 06:04 PM   #6

Thanks alot Dan, that explains it nicely. I don't remember seeing any oil in the inspection plugs on the Brozz. But that may be due to the attitude of the bike when I was working on it. And the Kpx was leaned more to the stator side today.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:55 PM   #7

If it isn't marking its territory I wouldn't worry to much about an oil leak...

Old 05-20-2023, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
If it isn't marking its territory I wouldn't worry to much about an oil leak...
I had a Harley Davidson that used to do that. But it was par for the course with that bike. LOL