Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 08:00 PM   #1

Time for the 500 mile checkup on my TBR7.

Have about 550 miles on it and time for another oil change and a valve check.

Did all the suggested prep stuff before starting for first time….
Change all fluids,
grease all bearings,
locktite on all bolts/nuts,
Dielectric on all connectors,
Change spark plug,
Replaced the sprockets. 17 front and 42 rear.
Installed #110 main jet and 1.5 turns out for idle.
The stock battery was subpar so built a Lithium battery pack for it.

Bike runs great! Pulls through all RPMs. I can hit 60mph with a little more throttle left. I usually stay in the 45 to 55 range. I bought it for a commuter and grocery getter. Working out fine in that regard.

It does pop when decelerating so I was thinking of upping the main jet, maybe try 115 or 120. Does that sound like a good plan?

Fun little bike and am happy with how it is working out.

I want to thank everyone on this site that has contributed in the past. Was of tremendous help in purchase, assembly, mods and now maintenance.

See you on the road. I’ll be the guy with the BIG smile.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:07 PM   #2

Good stuff! Once you catch the Chinabike bug, its hard to look back

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 01-17-2023, 11:12 PM   #3

Let us know ,mine dose same thing. Run great 4300 miles,just getting ready to replace front brake pads.Adjusted valves at 2000 miles,might check them again. Maybe new knobby for the back.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:34 PM   #4

Popping on decel, aka throttle closed, has nothing to do with the main jet. That is the idle mixture being a hair lean, or air is getting in the exhaust somewhere. Main Jet = 3/4 to wide open throttle. Needle adjustment 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Pilot jet is just off idle(throttle barely cracked) to 1/4 throttle. Idle Mixture = throttle closed.

Personally, I never minded a tiny bit of decel pop. It won't hurt anything really. My Hawk crackles and snorts on decel thanks to being a touch rich on the idle mixture and a not quite so perfect mid pipe seal that I just can't be bothered to fix at the moment.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-18-2023, 07:37 AM   #5

Thanks Dan!!! Great info.
That is even easier. Will try and turn idle another 1/2 turn out and see what that does.

Thanks,

Old 01-18-2023, 03:43 PM   #6

"Dielectric on all connectors."

A lot of people forget this and have real problems riding their first day in the rain. Good job!

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 01-22-2023, 06:08 AM   #7

Just a quick update.

Well, i did pull the carb a few days ago.

The mixture was 3 turns out. Seemed excessive by my reading so I turned it to 1.5 out and was able to ride it up the street. It seemed to work but have not had a chance to do anymore testing.

Hope to verify soon.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:53 PM   #8

Update as promised.
Temps/No-rain finally good to start riding again.

Popping on decel....
Mixture screw was 3.5 out from seated.
Turning mixture out about 1.5 seems to have helped popping and really better after bike is warm. I am going to call it good. I may be able to play some more but is is still running great so i will leave it alone.

I need to remove my petcock and see why it sometimes starves for fuel when not in reserve. I was having to move to reserve after about 40 miles but now it happened soon after a fill up. Hope to pull it this weekend and see if it is just dirty or i need to replace it.

Interesting note. Coming home today my dash/gear lights went out. Turned off head light and dash/gear came back. I figured my battery pack came disconnected in my trunk and that is what happened. Though my lunch bag in trunk and figured it bounce around and the plug came loose. Plugged it back in and all is well. Puzzled me for a while.

Put about 120 miles on it the last couple days and i will be riding to work the rest of the week.

Also changed the oil yesterday. This bike came with a magnetic drain plug. Glad i did not order one yet.

I am also getting a lot of clutch noise when starting from line. May rebuild clutch with better springs/disks/steels?

That is all for now.

Still loving the bike.

Last edited by TBR7D; 02-22-2023 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add content

Old 02-23-2023, 10:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR7D View Post
Also changed the oil yesterday. This bike came with a magnetic drain plug. Glad i did not order one yet.

Just a little note about this. If it's the bottom drain plug, I found that mine was completely stripped recently and now am using an expandable plug because of it.

Be careful when screwing in or out because it can and will strip the hole easily.

Apart from that; when you do inevitably change your tyres out I'd recommend going with some Shinko 705's. The size I'm running are 110/80-19 and 130/80-17.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
Just a little note about this. If it's the bottom drain plug, I found that mine was completely stripped recently and now am using an expandable plug because of it.

Be careful when screwing in or out because it can and will strip the hole easily.

This sounds to me like yours was cross threaded from the factory. I always use the drain plug when I do oil changes and have never had a problem. I torque to 20 ft-lbs.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-24-2023, 10:55 PM   #11

And it screws in at an angle. First time replacing it i had to crawl under to see what the heck was going on.

I just snug and a little more. I think i will start using a torque wench and do 20 Ft-lbs Like Dan does.

I have to trace some wires tomorrow. Head light will not come on.
Also will pull Petcock and see what is wrong with it.

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
This sounds to me like yours was cross threaded from the factory. I always use the drain plug when I do oil changes and have never had a problem. I torque to 20 ft-lbs.

That's the conclusion I came to. I'll re-tap it to a size up at some point. But the expandable plug has been holding perfect since November.