Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2023, 07:40 PM   #991

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtemplar250 View Post
Assembly finished.

Question: in the assembly video, they tighten the rear suspension links by hand. Is hand-tightening good enough for that?

Do you recommend me using loctite on all the suspension bolts?

My bike came with forks installed. How do I know they're straight and aligned properly?

Looks great! I should get mine out of layaway by end of February.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:42 PM   #992

Quote:
Assembly finished.

Question: in the assembly video, they tighten the rear suspension links by hand. Is hand-tightening good enough for that?

My bike came with forks installed. How do I know they're straight and aligned properly?

Your bike looks great!

I wouldn't hand tighten anything other than the gas cap.

I tightened mine with wrenches to the point I was comfortable and added a couple drops of blue loctite.

For the forks, just make sure they are at the same clamping point in the trees. Once the wheel is installed I loosen just the right side axel clamp bolts and push the forks up and down a few times to get it to center, then tighten the right axel clamp bolts. I hope that made sense...

Old 01-11-2023, 07:51 PM   #993

Quote:
Assembly finished.

Looks great! I can't wait to get mine out of layaway!

Old 01-11-2023, 07:55 PM   #994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Effing GORGEOUS. Every time I see the black option, I question my choice of orange. But the thing is awesome, and you will find out soon!!!!!

You are in for SO much fun. Nice going.
You do know that orange is the fastest of the color models right

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 01-11-2023, 07:58 PM   #995

Quote:
No problems with the engine (either one). You can hear the counterbalancer linkage, but that's normal. If you are planning on running more than 20% road, stick with the 6 speed (ZS172FMM-5). If you only use the road to get to the dirt, and periodic errands, then you might want to go with a 5 speed (ZS172FMM-3A). The X (6-speed) will do it all, so stick with that unless you want to save some money. The X gives you the adjustable suspension too.

ALL of the Templars are BIG and TALL. These are full sized enduro bikes. I recommend lowering it. I am not sure you can do this with the M or Templar standard (fork legs?). But you can with the X. I did.
I plan mostly to use it to commute and run small errands. Later, I may take it on trails. My next one, I may make it strictly off road. Either way, one of the mods I'd like to do first, is put larger more street worthy tires on it. I want big fat tires on either.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:59 PM   #996

Of course the assembly and maintenance are your responsibility, and all of the modifications (especially carb mods, and of course, valve clearance) are up to you. But I just got my bikes into the garage (Springlike conditions in January )
They both started even though I did NOT leave them (one 5 speed, one 6 speed) on a floating trickle charger. And these bikes are awesome. Still a little too cold to ride, but warm enough to give them a heat cycle ride.

I was assuming a cold Winter and put them in the back under a tarp, but the new norm with extreme cold spells and extreme warm spells in Winter (into the 60's in January !!!) made me move them into the garage. Well, there is no denying that we have ridiculously warm heat waves in Winter now. So if it is dry enough, good opportunity for a mid-Winter ride! But unfortunately mild winter means more ticks and fleas when Spring comes around. Crap! Global warming is a bitch. But I need to ride during these "colder" months before the bugs come out

Last edited by Thumper; 01-11-2023 at 08:35 PM.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:41 PM   #997

New chain and sprocket.

Got my new Oring chain and 42 tooth sprocket installed today. Took it out for a test drive and I’m really liking the higher gearing of the 42 tooth sprocket. And the new Oring chain is much more quiet than the original. $60 well spent on these two items.
Name:  D3DE00F4-CCCB-4C8D-9B67-8A8C4F947845.jpeg
Views: 799
Size:  1.33 MB
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket
2010 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silver Star

Old 01-12-2023, 08:14 AM   #998

Very nice! I'm still running the stock chain at close to 1k miles, i had to adjust a couple times since new but after removing a few links to install the 42T rear its been good.. keeping an eye on it and then will eventually replace with aftermarket

Old 01-12-2023, 08:20 AM   #999

Is that a JT sprocket Hap? Which part number? And also, which chain did you get?

Old 01-12-2023, 08:43 AM   #1000

I may have that answer regarding sprocket for what i have on my X, assuming its the same as Hap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-12-2023, 01:48 PM   #1001

Yes that’s the sprocket above that Tknj99 has listed. The chain is a Max Motorsports Gold 520x110 O-Ring Drive Chain ATV Motorcycle MX 520 pitch 110 links
Part #752799001
$31.90
The 110 link chain was the perfect length for the 13T front 42 T rear setup like I have. Didn’t have to do anything but put it on. The chain seems like a very good chain to me. I’ve had DID and Renthal both and this one seems just as good. I know it’s much more quiet now. And it looks darn good.
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket
2010 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silver Star

Old 01-12-2023, 07:14 PM   #1002

A couple questions

A couple questions:

Did anyone else have problems with the throttle sticking wide open when trying to decelerate? This happened to me today and almost dumped my bike into the ditch. I think I can fix it by taping the throttle cable in place so it doesn't move when I decelerate the throttle (causing it to accelerate unexpectedly).

Also, does anyone know which direction of the petcock is normal open, closed, and reserve? The instruction manual is worthless for helping me figure this one out.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:16 PM   #1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooker89 View Post
Your bike looks great!

I wouldn't hand tighten anything other than the gas cap.

I tightened mine with wrenches to the point I was comfortable and added a couple drops of blue loctite.

For the forks, just make sure they are at the same clamping point in the trees. Once the wheel is installed I loosen just the right side axel clamp bolts and push the forks up and down a few times to get it to center, then tighten the right axel clamp bolts. I hope that made sense...
Thanks for the advice. I removed and reinstalled all my suspension bolts using blue loctite.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:33 PM   #1004

Quote:
Effing GORGEOUS. Every time I see the black option, I question my choice of orange. But the thing is awesome, and you will find out soon!!!!!

You are in for SO much fun. Nice going.
I love the orange one too, but my second choice was the blue one. I think they really nailed the graphics on this bike--all the colors are great.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:43 PM   #1005

Quote:
Assembly finished.

Looks really good. And no nothing was properly greased where it should nor with loctite where it should.

Tip, just use the search button on this threads bar. Then you can search on torque and also search on suspension. You’ll find all the posts here talking about both. With torque you should find my torque specifications PDF file if you want to follow along with me. It has which loctite to use where on which bolts. Do your wallet a favor and just get the blue and red loctite from harbor freight. You’ll save heaps over big box store name brand prices.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility