Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2023, 02:35 PM   #1

Titan 250 DLX starter replacement and kickstart option?

I'm pretty sure that I have burned out the starter on my Titan. I've never been able to get it to run well, and in the process of carb tuning was trying to get it to start, not realizing that I hadn't screwed on the top of the carb. Now that I've tidied everything up, my starter will click or every once in a while give a half-hearted turn.

Does anyone know what I can do? Can I replace it with a crf230f starter and get it to work?

I also bought some generic kickstarter from amazon and all it does is smack right into the footpeg, so I'd be happy to hear from someone that has figured out a good kickstarter setup too.

I worked so hard to get it titled and registered in TN and now can't even ride it..super bummed

Old 01-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #2

can't help with the kickstart.

As for the starter itself making a click is unusual. I would clean out the starter and check the windings if they look and smell burned out...if not its possible the issue is elsewhere.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpiano View Post
I'm pretty sure that I have burned out the starter on my Titan. I've never been able to get it to run well, and in the process of carb tuning was trying to get it to start, not realizing that I hadn't screwed on the top of the carb. Now that I've tidied everything up, my starter will click or every once in a while give a half-hearted turn.

Does anyone know what I can do? Can I replace it with a crf230f starter and get it to work?

I also bought some generic kickstarter from amazon and all it does is smack right into the footpeg, so I'd be happy to hear from someone that has figured out a good kickstarter setup too.

I worked so hard to get it titled and registered in TN and now can't even ride it..super bummed
Are you sure your battery is fully charged?
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket
2010 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silver Star

Old 01-10-2023, 07:21 PM   #4

It does sound like a dead battery.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:41 PM   #5

I wish it was, but this occurred while attempting to jump it off with a second battery attached to jumper cables. I am clearly an idiot for cranking it so much when it wasn't going to start, but even with a fresh battery hooked up with jumper cables I'm not getting much turnover, not nearly enough to start the bike, but enough that I feel like the starter relay is working. I am going to try to take some time next weekend to put a voltmeter to it and see.