Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
This looks doable, maybe. The tires on a Templar X do have DOT tires (embossed lettering). It also has a catalytic convertor in the headpipe.
All of the other stuff is there: turn signals, battery for lights if it stalls (the reason they want a motorcycle to have one), horn, and stuff.
The only possible issue for the "VIN and compliance" inspection by CO State police might be the "vehicle type:" on the VIN plate....

I think the VIN just has to match the Motorcycle Certification of Origin (MCO). there are no I letters in my VIN. The VIN plate does have "off highway motorcycle" clearly for "vehicle type:" though. But if it has all of those required things (lights, horn Catalytic converter, etc), isn't this inspection specifically for this situation? I think this is a question that highway patrol will answer for you. If their answer is a positive one, make sure that you take it to the same office for the inspection! I think it would be worth a call, or better yet, stop in and ask a human in person.

Last edited by Thumper; 12-24-2022 at 05:10 PM.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen216 View Post
What's the Himmy not doing, that you need?
That's a great question. It's honestly more about reducing the workload on the Himma. It's a great bike, but it's heavy and is my main workhorse. (The Goldwing is an 84' and is only for back and forth to work). To get the Himma up and over some of the dirt riding I'm doing I need to drop the front sprocket a tooth, but then it struggles at highway speed. A sixth gear on that bike would be amazing but not available... yet. I've already done a cam so the next step for more power would be a new jug and piston, but even then I don't know that it'd do what I need with the 15T stock sprocket. The gear range just isn't wide enough.

My goal is to have something I could do dirt on and then be able to use the Himma for trips where I want to have some dirt and some highway. It's also an excuse for another toy in the garage.

The Jerry can mounts on the himma are nice though! I welded up some rotopax mounts to attach to the front rack and carry gas on one side and water on the other.

I've looked at the Scram, but I tore apart my KPM200 and went full scrambler on that so that would be a bit too redundant. Great little dirt road ripper.

Good luck on figuring out what to do. The best answer I can give is a question and answer... How many motorcycles are enough? One more than you have right now.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
This looks doable, maybe. The tires on a Templar X do have DOT tires (embossed lettering). It also has a catalytic convertor in the headpipe.
I've done more digging since posting that. My understanding is that the law is truly built for converting off-road bikes to street legal, so the VIN tagging shouldn't matter. A friend got his 2 stroke KTM licensed. Added a tail light and DOT tires and was all good.

Overall it seems possible. Even if it fails the first time it's likely I'd know what I needed to address to get it OK'd. Just have to figure out if it's the Templar or KPX that I want.

Old 12-26-2022, 01:29 AM   #34

Quote:
How many motorcycles are enough? One more than you have right now.
Maybe if my wife isn’t looking, I can save them all. This morning, before everyone else was up, I had this truly stupid idea that a Kymco Spade would be a comical dual sport bike. I could probably get one cheap, it’s only 5 speed though, enough fuel would remain an issue, but it is EFI. Passing people on trails would be the best. Obviously, I would not be loading it to bear, but I wonder… could I? It’d be a hell of a lot more fun… right up until something goes really wrong, of course, planning would have to be wildly different.

It’d be a very stupid idea. Very stupid. Good mental exercise. How would you make (X) work.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen216 View Post
Maybe if my wife isn’t looking, I can save them all. This morning, before everyone else was up, I had this truly stupid idea that a Kymco Spade would be a comical dual sport bike. I could probably get one cheap, it’s only 5 speed though, enough fuel would remain an issue, but it is EFI. Passing people on trails would be the best. Obviously, I would not be loading it to bear, but I wonder… could I? It’d be a hell of a lot more fun… right up until something goes really wrong, of course, planning would have to be wildly different.

It’d be a very stupid idea. Very stupid. Good mental exercise. How would you make (X) work.
I had to look that one up. Totally looks doable. The 12" wheels would be limiting, but I bet it would go more places than most people think is possible. The planning really would be interesting, but isn't that part of the fun?

Old 12-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #36

Spade looks fun, but it is a pretty small engine. Hawk DLX has a 15hp engine with EFI which should reliably solve the altitude problem. It actually has inverted front forks which are in fact stiffer than standard forks. The Templar X adds a beefier frame, fork tubes are BIG-50mm at top clamp, 56mm at lower clamp, 20 horse power engine, with adjustable levers, roller throttle, 520 sprockets/chain, knobbies (DOT approved), heavier spokes, rim locks, a beefier swingarm. It is really a nice package that can handle rough conditions with more confidence, easier to control when it gets loose, rocky, steep, etc. I wish you could just take mine out for a spin on the trail. A taller/stiffer frame DOES make a difference, the Temp X has it.

There are ways to convert to EFI (kits). Rolling wrench has various options in a programmable kit (rollingwrenchdenver.com). I had suggested that you create a removable baffle system to help get more air into it at higher altitudes. If it just isn't enough, you can try doing the EFI conversion. If you send them information about the engine, they would probably be able to put together a working solution. The kits are complete (throttle body, fuel pump, ECU and ECU controlled CDI, wiring, clamps, etc). They charge $45 to create a parts list (estimate) for your application if they don't have it already.

Ecotron has all the parts and engineering services to design them. There are others too. There is a kit on ebay for $300 (plus $30 more for a 30mm throttle body) called "motorcycle ATV scooter buggy moped UAV EFI engine Electronic Fuel Injection kit". Tuning software is free.

Last edited by Thumper; 12-27-2022 at 10:52 AM.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #37

Quote:
I had to look that one up. Totally looks doable. The 12" wheels would be limiting, but I bet it would go more places than most people think is possible. The planning really would be interesting, but isn't that part of the fun?
It is. The bike being Taiwanese - I just cycled through a SYM Wolf 150 - there's all kinds of craziness with its counterpart, the AIR 150, to include folks swapping in 14" rims from the K-Pipe 125, again with knobbies. Scramblers, dual sport, adventure - people have taken the base version and gotten on with life, making them into what they need them to be (as happens in the rest of the world, far more often). I'm not sure I'm ready to try and ride it to MOAB, but...

I pulled the EPA paperwork for Kymco - again, planning is what makes this interesting - after I saw a note from Dan about Kymco making larger versions of this engine that would, in theory, bolt right in, to see if that was really true, and to confirm, of course, that they are manual transmissions (Kymco imports mopeds, mainly) - and they make variants of this engine (same one is in the K-Pipe) but only in CVT transmission. It'd be more detailed research to see if the 250cc for their other motorcycle would be a straight drop in or not.
No idea if I could, for example, find a big-bore kit. If I wanted a tiny-bike to do something like this, and was going to only do it within trailer distance, the Spade would make sense. If I was going to potentially get farther away, I should do it right and get a Grom - with warranty, so if something goes wrong, there are actual dealers closer than my spouse or friends w/trailer. Or Himmy. Or Himmy cross-bred with a Scram. The BDR routes here all rise to 7k feet - EFI is crucial. Range is crucial. Wrenching is crucial. But - fun is too.
I could just throw knobbies on my CB350 and call it good.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:10 PM   #38

McQueen, have you looked into Lifan's KP Mini?
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 12-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #39

I am curious why nobody recommended the X-pect? I have one on layaway and now I am wondering if I made the right choice.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifanatic View Post
I am curious why nobody recommended the X-pect? I have one on layaway and now I am wondering if I made the right choice.
I had an X-pect and they are good bikes for sure. Depends on what you want/need. I sold mine because I didn't like the hump in the middle of the seat that made me ride too far forward, and wanted more power and stability for highway use.

If you go back to post #1 you can see what his parameters were.
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
I had an X-pect and they are good bikes for sure. Depends on what you want/need. I sold mine because I didn't like the hump in the middle of the seat that made me ride too far forward, and wanted more power and stability for highway use.

If you go back to post #1 you can see what his parameters were.
How tall are you? I am wondering if the seat will be an issue for me as well. Also, powersportsmax seems to be selling the hawks at a higher price than the x-pect now, is something going on that I need to be aware of (as a future x-pect owner)?

Also, I've recently started a motorcycle technician course and am learning about carburetors. I kind of wish my X-pect came with one, just so I could get some experience changing and rejetting.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifanatic View Post
How tall are you? I am wondering if the seat will be an issue for me as well. Also, powersportsmax seems to be selling the hawks at a higher price than the x-pect now, is something going on that I need to be aware of (as a future x-pect owner)?

Also, I've recently started a motorcycle technician course and am learning about carburetors. I kind of wish my X-pect came with one, just so I could get some experience changing and rejetting.
I'm 5' 11", with a 31" inseam. I replaced the X-pect with a KPX. It is taller as far as getting on, but I can do it and like how it rides much better.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
McQueen,have you looked into Lifan's KP Mini?
TominMO - I went ahead and created a new thread for all of this tiny bike silliness, here.