Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #31

I use T4 on my hawk. I have 500 miles on it and have changed the oil 4 times. Never ran the factory oil in it. I also bought a magnetic drain plug after the second oil change and it has had a good bit of sludge on it during oil changes.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:53 PM   #32

Now I see why people refer to the factory oil as shipping oil. I'll be replacing it before the first startup.

Tips:

Upon receiving your vehicle (and after reviewing the video) we recommend that you heed the following tips:

1. Perform your first oil change by replacing the Engine oil with 10W40 motor oil prior to starting.

X-Pro Owners quick guide

DB-K012 (Templar) owners manual

Old 12-07-2022, 01:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
So with the Templar X, 2 of us so far reported that the first change had metal shavings. That's probably a minority and may have been the case whether i dumped the oil immediately upon build or changed it at the 25 mile mark.
Metal in the oil is a normal side effect of the break in process. The bigger shavings aren't uncommon either as almost every Hawk owner can attest. I found more than a few in my screen after my first oil change. It's potentially swarf from machining and manufacturing but it can also come from the gears in the transmission which are often rough finished and "wear in" into one another.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-07-2022, 07:51 AM   #34

When I got my TT250 last year, I didn't know any better (despite going over much in these forums) and didn't change my oil until I think 300-400 miles. It was pretty dark, and my filter had minimal metal shavings, but I've been on the ball ever since just using Valvoline 10W40 synthetic. Got 5k+ now and still smooth, so something went right, and here's to 15k more!