Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2022, 11:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standg View Post
BoatGuy, Thanks for creating this thread and posting your tire replacement concerns pertaining to the Lifan Xpect. I too have tire questions.

Very good information was gained from everyone that replied.

Thanks, everyone
No problem. I saw your other thread. That’s the hardest thing about the xpect. There were a couple threads with some tire options. Unfortunately I don’t remember where they are.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSK View Post
Tire enthusiast here.

The challenge with the X-pect is not only the odd rim diameters, but how narrow they are. If you look, many of the 19" and 17" tires you might guess would fit are really too wide for the rims.

I did a bunch of research and settled on Bridgestone AX41. 90/100-19 front and 4.60-17 rear.

AX41 are very good both on and off road. The downside is that to get good performance on both, the treadlife is not super long.

I've done some pretty serious off roading. They're not like a full knobby. They can struggle in mud, but they handle both on and off road well.

They aren't cheap, but they work well.

If memory serves, the IRC GP-1, Shinko 244 and Kenda K270 all come in sizes appropriate for the X-Pect, as well.
These are all great compromise tires. They are pretty smooth on the road, but still hold predictably in the dirt.

Sand is a problem for any tire, especially dry and clean sand! But these tires have respectable "grip" in sand too. You just can't expect to turn on sand without the front tire threatening to go out sideways. You stand a better chance if it's wet! Your photos in post #27 look scary! Maybe try to skirt the sand and use that vegetation to gain some traction, It does hold the sand together a bit. Remaining "upright" through a turn in sand helps too (don't lean into the turn much).

The Tusk DSport looks like an extremely aggressive knobby tire. But if you look closely, those big blocks are closer together, and there is a flattened area in the center of the tread. I was surprised how this reduces that bumpy/vibration, helps a lot on sandy situations, and has surprising traction on wet pavement. It also doesn't wear as fast as I thought it would. If you could stop by, you could take the Storm for a test cruise to see what I mean.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
No problem. I saw your other thread. That’s the hardest thing about the xpect. There were a couple threads with some tire options. Unfortunately I don’t remember where they are.
Xpect Tire selection is an issue, though I didn't consider it at the time I purchased the bike. For me, the X-Pect is a re-entry bike into motorcycling. So I'm learning again. Like, things to think about if I ever buy an upgraded bike. The availability of parts for many things is becoming an issue in today's world. I've been buying some maintenance items for my automotive vehicles, mostly brakes, rotors, and filters. Nothing crazy, just enough for the next time I have to perform maintenance on them.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standg View Post
Xpect Tire selection is an issue, though I didn't consider it at the time I purchased the bike. For me, the X-Pect is a re-entry bike into motorcycling. So I'm learning again. Like, things to think about if I ever buy an upgraded bike. The availability of parts for many things is becoming an issue in today's world. I've been buying some maintenance items for my automotive vehicles, mostly brakes, rotors, and filters. Nothing crazy, just enough for the next time I have to perform maintenance on them.
that’s a good idea about pre-buying consumable parts. You never know when the supply chain is going to fall apart these days.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:55 AM   #35

Was going to mention the K270s, then saw the sand and didn’t know how well they work in sand. That’s deep sugar and I have no experience in sand.

I’m riding mostly street/gravel roads and light single track. Only deal with sand on the edge of creeks, lots of rock…

Here’s the Kenda terrain chart, I’ve had good luck with Kendas on my previous DRZ400 and now have them on the Templar.

https://powersports.kendatire.com/en...errain-charts/

The practice is probably the most beneficial, adding a paddle or a tire that hooks hard will expose the engines limitations.

That looks like a ton of fun to me, laid back…