Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2022, 09:47 PM   #16

Broskies, take heed. Kill switch on, no ignition, petcock on, choke closed, no throttle, no clutch if your gear box is in neutral, clutch in if you're in gear. Kick it 3 times. Kill switch off, ignition on, petckock on, half choke, pin the throttle wide open, no clutch because you're in neutral, clutch in if you're in gear, kick it. Magic happens. Something about getting fuel into the closed carb and it being rich as bezos when the carb is half open while creating a high demand for fuel with the throttle wide open makes thumpers want to thump.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I removed my kick start lever. I am too lazy to intentionally kick start a bike with electric start anyway, and if I am really desperate a good old bump start isn't that hard to do on these bikes.
When I first got my bike, the nostalgia of kick starting it was very much on my mind, but the more I took it off road the kick start lever was in the way and some times it tried to engage. I remembered this post and took it off this weekend and my off road adventure was much more pleasurable.

I guess bump starting it if needed will bring me back to the early 80"s will be enough.

Thanks Mega for making me think out of the box on this one...

Old 07-31-2022, 09:04 PM   #18

Mine still will not kick start,valves adjusted ,carb rejetted. New muffler that was removed because too loud,just can;t get it kick start. Thinking a new spark plug,but don't think thats the problem. If ever needed will just coast start it. Just dose not feel right kicking the start lever.Still useing stock battery,think its just the cheap china bike problem. But I just love my TBR7,wouldn't even think of selling it because it will not kick start.

Old 07-31-2022, 11:32 PM   #19

You kick start by feel, is not like in the movies where the guys jumps in the motorcycle and starkicking by an insane amount of force 100 times and the motorcycle starts.

For the motorcycle to start like a champ, you need to kick it a bit past tdc hard and release once it hits bottom. Sadly this is done by feel, you need to feel when your engine is ready to be kick started...

Also have the throttle just a tiny bit open...

Thank God for the electric starter.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:33 PM   #20

Never had to on my Honda.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:28 AM   #21

I found it difficult to kick start while cold. But it was possible. When warm kick starting was pretty easy.

I had to stand on the bike and kick down on it pretty hard when cold, have to do it a good number of times.

I've only ever used the kickstart when the battery was dead though. It's just an emergency thing.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:16 AM   #22

I’ve had many kick start only bikes over the years and was glad to see the TT250 had one as an option. However, when I first got it, I had a hell of a time kicking it over no matter what tricks I tried. Now, with 500 miles on it I can usually get it in one or two kicks after cycling it into the ideal position. Not sure how many miles on yours, but you might just need to wait a little bit.

Currently:
2021 TT250
1981 XL 185 project
2003 Buell Blast P3 (for sale)

Formerly:
1986 Suzuki GS450
1979 Suzuki GS400
1968 Honda CT90
1974 Suzuki TS250
1978 Honda XL175
1997 Suzuki GS500E

Old 09-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #23

So in nuetral no need to pull clutch. Make sure kickstsnd is not down wich engages a kill switch. Kick starting these bikes cold is very tough. But also could very well b the carb with the cutting out if u havent tuned it yet, thy barleybwork stock. Lastly valvle lashes need to be set correctly single best improments for start ups.

Old 09-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #24

Guess what had to kick start my TBR7, and it started on the 3 rd kick

Old 09-04-2022, 11:06 PM   #25

It's the tuning, mine starts quite easily when I kick start it, when I first got it though, good luck.

I did swap my carb out and did quite a bit of other stuff but basically, yours needs to be tuned/adjusted so it will start easily.

Also, just in case I'll go over how you do it.

Key in start, kill switch on, kickstand up.

Sit on motorcycle and push the kickstart down a little until you feel it have resistance, pull it back up. Now while on bike use all of your weight to kickstart the bike.

After 1-3 tries it should start if tuned properly.