Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
What weight or motor oil are you using? I'd go with 20w50 for hot weather, then switch to 10w40 for cooler temps.

Glad it seems to have sorted itself out. So I guess we need to leave an inch or two from the top when filling. I generally fill to the bottom of the filler neck in the tank.

I changed it a couple weeks ago to Rotella 15w40 with some break-in ZDDP additive.

There's a filler neck? It's just a hole in the top of the tank, isn't it? I filled it to about an inch under the cap.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hotdogs View Post
Ok so I didn't take any gas out, I just let it cool over dinner and went out and tried starting it again. Ran fine! Didn't drip. I took it up and down the block a few times, no trouble.

I'm ascribing the chugging to fueling it up because that's the thing I did immediately before the chugging. However, I haven't done anything to fix it but let it cool off. So could the problem just have been overheating? It was a pretty hot day, and the air guides aren't on the bike. But I mean, I wasn't pushing the bike and it was like 95 degrees out, which is common lately.
Hi Frank, this sounds to me, vapor lock. Keep the tank level a bit lower when fueling is a good thing. When the bike cooled off everything works right again. Just my thoughts

Old 07-28-2022, 10:15 AM   #18

I think that cannister with the fuel lines coming out of it and the pressure pump attached to it has something to do with all this, it would be good to know exactly what that square cannister is all about.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:54 PM   #19

Same thing happened to me last week. Have about 800 miles on it.
Filled up with 93 at one of my go to local stations, topped it off twice, barely made it up the hill and it starting bogging and shut off. Tried restarting, would run for a few seconds and shut off as soon as I touched the throttle. Turned around on the hill, coasted back down started up, touched throttle, shut off, got it to hold around 2500 rpms and shut off. Finally got it running, or thought I did, started riding got to 2nd and it starting bucking and chugging it must have been pop starting itself. At this point the neighbors in the area were definitely entertained. It was hotter than a **** house on nickel day and I was getting pissed. Pulled/coasted back into side of gas station, got it idling again and got a drink. I noticed fuel dripping from the same area you described, that's when it hit me I was a dumbass and overfilled it. Tried riding it again and it shut off, at this point I said f it, popped the lid on the tank and dumped some fuel (opposite exhaust side), finally got it running good enough to ride out of the area. Then it did it again while I was in 3rd or 4th gear, glad I was riding with 2 hands. After about 20 minutes of putzimg around under 3k it ran decent enough to get to a stop, I let it idle for a good 10 minutes (fuel was still dripping at this point) and it ran fine after that. I beat the snot out of it after for making me look like an idiot

Old 07-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #20

What year xpect does everyone have with this problem?

I have the 2020 and it definitely doesn't do this.

I am way too lazy to go back inside for my change after paying my five dollars or whatever at the pump. So I just fill it all the way up until it’s pretty much squirting out when I put the cap on. To emphasize just how full I have made it a few times, I have actually stood the thing up off of the side stand so that I could get more fuel in. I have done that numerous times and no gasoline has dripped out and there has been no bogging down.

However, this does sound like a problem with the canister. The EPA system. I agree with that. Sometimes flooding out the canister can cause issues in various vehicles. I have not looked closely enough at the interaction between the canister and the rest of the fuel system on this bike to make any guesses.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:34 PM   #21

Mine is a 2022, manufactured in Jan. according to the sticker. I also stood it up to get more fuel in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post

I am way too lazy to go back inside for my change after paying my five dollars or whatever at the pump. So I just fill it all the way up until it’s pretty much squirting out when I put the cap on. To emphasize just how full I have made it a few times, I have actually stood the thing up off of the side stand so that I could get more fuel in. I have done that numerous times and no gasoline has dripped out and there has been no bogging down.

However, this does sound like a problem with the canister. The EPA system. I agree with that. Sometimes flooding out the canister can cause issues in various vehicles. I have not looked closely enough at the interaction between the canister and the rest of the fuel system on this bike to make any guesses.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:52 PM   #22

I guess mine's a 2021. I got it from Venom in December.

Today's ride to and from work was fine, but it did chug a couple times as I got closer to home. It's a 5 mile ride, so it would be about the last 1.5 that I had a couple hiccups. But it's also hotter out today than I think it's ever been, and I'm riding without the air guides on. Not sure those do much, I just don't like how they look so I took em off.

Given that I've done nothing to fix this problem and it has only appeared when it's hot, I suspect overheating more than anything. Maybe stopping a hot bike, filling it with cold fuel, then driving away before it could cool off had some weird effect on the mixture? Not sure. I would think if anything, cold fuel would counteract vapor lock but maybe while I was sitting there fueling, the fuel lines were absorbing more heat from the stationary engine than they would if I were moving.

Bike's been very trouble-free so as long as this issue stays confined to hot days, I'm gonna let it slide.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Well OK, so excess gas drains out of the tube. How does this relate to his drivability problems?

Never said it did. But it explains the fuel dripping outta the bike. Perhaps the cold fuel from the underground tanks is expanding once in the bike's tank and the pressure is locking up the fuel pump, I dunno, my Magician is carb'd and my EFI bikes were built properly by the Japanese.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post

I agree it is likely a problem with the charcoal canister being saturated with gas. When that happens the extra gas is sucked into the intake, flooding it out. Many modern cars will do the same thing if the fuel tank is overfilled. That's why the owners manuals say not to top off the tank but stop when the pump kicks off.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
I agree it is likely a problem with the charcoal canister being saturated with gas. When that happens the extra gas is sucked into the intake, flooding it out. Many modern cars will do the same thing if the fuel tank is overfilled. That's why the owners manuals say not to top off the tank but stop when the pump kicks off.

Will this charcoal canister dry out on its own as the fuel level dips or do I need to pull it and purge or replace it?

The owner's manual and people here have referred to the fuel filler neck but...where is that? In a car, the tank is low and a long pipe reaches up to the filler door. On every bike I know of, you just open the top of the tank and put the gas in. There's no "neck". Am I supposed to stick the entire gas pump into the tank and let it shut off automatically? That wouldn't even fill half the tank it seems. Where should the tip of the gas pump be when fueling?

Old 07-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #26

No need to replace the canister, it's doing its job. As to how far to fill the tank, I don't know how that one is designed. Often there is a metal bar or red plastic ring that will indicate the maximum fill line. If yours has neither of those try leaving an inch of air space at the top and see if that works.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:10 AM   #27

Hooty I also have a 2022 with no such issue. Just changed to rottella 15w40, seems to shift a little better. Tusk shift arm is only mod so far.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:53 AM   #28

One other thing you might check is the carbon canister solenoid valve.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:11 PM   #29

Yeah, Mr. hotdogs, I think it will work itself out. As the fuel level goes down and the charcoal canister dries out, it shouldn’t happen anymore.

But maybe all of us shouldn’t be standing the bike up and filling it all the way to the brim. That’s probably not a good idea and is probably getting some liquid fuel into the canister.

Basically, the way the canister works is it is there to filter out gasoline fumes in the tank from escaping to the atmosphere. The charcoal filter filters them out and then re-circulates them into the intake of the engine. Everything has this now. Motorcycles. Cars. It’s even mandatory on new boats.

But if you start shoving liquid fuel into the canister, you start to have problems where it becomes too rich at the intake. Because you are getting the normal fuel from the injector, but then you are also getting fuel from the charcoal canister.

I think it’ll work itself out. And just don’t top it off at that level anymore. Definitely don’t stand the bike up and fill it that way. Leave it on the side stand and fill it to within an inch of full, but not overflowing.

I will be taking my own advice and not over filling it as well. I think I probably just got lucky. Because I certainly do have a canister. I can see it.

Last edited by Boatguy; 07-29-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #30

Always wanted to check the 2 positions of the fuel valve to see if one of them was a reserve. Tank was quite low on the fuel gauge so I drained it to find I had more than a gallon in the tank and that both positions on the fuel valve were just open so no reserve tank. Judging from the amount of fuel in the tank when the gauge is on empty I would guess there would be around 50 miles there. with 1800 miles on the clock, I am very happy with the X-pects performance with a 17 front and 43 back sprocket and I cruise esily at 60MPH, have taken it up to more than 65 but on 55 MPH roads so have not tried to maintain that speed or go faster cause I'm too young to go to jail. Will take a ride to a highway one of these days and see how it goes.