Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2022, 05:23 AM   #1

Chinese bikes for Adventure

I found this on another website. If it is not allowed please delete.

https://www.advrider.com/chinese-bik...could-be-done/

Old 06-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #2

I so wish there was a Chinese option like a GS1250 or VStrom 650/1000 (esp 1000) that had the power/torque of the big boys, same weight and 1/3rd the price. My checkbook is waiting for that day. I thought the RX4 would be my ticket to adventure bikes until its weight and lack of power turned me off.. but recently test rode a Vstom 1000 and hold balls, that was fun and inspiring.. If i hadnt just bought an M109R i would have certainly spent that money on the Vstrom or something like that. Now will wait on the right used one to show up to add to my stable..

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 06-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinders View Post
I found this on another website. If it is not allowed please delete.

https://www.advrider.com/chinese-bik...could-be-done/
These cheap bikes have more than proven themselves in Mexico, Central America, and South America. As the article stated, there are numerous parts and/or repair places--for cheap--all over. On the adventure-biking site/forum, Horizonsunlimited, there are numerous posts from people flying in to Central and South America (mainly from Europe), buying a bike, and riding them, and either selling them off or abandoning them. A lot more economical and lower cost than just the cost of shipping their fancy BMW or KTM from their home country and shipping it home. Or renting a fancy bike. There is a guy in Peru, an American ex-pat who teaches small engine repair at a community college somewhere there who sells bikes to tourists. He sets them up with paniers and other upgrades if the buyer desires, and helps get the bike registered and legal. The downside to Peru is that it takes a few weeks to obtain the license plate, so you are resigned to riding around Peru until it comes in as other countries won't let you enter on temporary tags.

With the improving-in-quality bikes we have been getting lately here in the US, I have thought about helping tourists buy budget dual-sports (or even better ones) and helping them getting registered and whatnot. There are people who help tourists out in California, but, like Peru, California does not issue plates on the spot, so one has to arrange to have it shipped to them, and one has to deal with the hassles of temporary plates in the meantime. Arizona issues plates, title, and registration on the spot here in AZ, and me being on the border helps out getting out of the US quickly rather than trying to ride from, say Phoenix, on a 223cc bike with some a$#hole in a huge pickup trying to run you off the road.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-10-2022, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
I so wish there was a Chinese option like a GS1250 or VStrom 650/1000 (esp 1000) that had the power/torque of the big boys, same weight and 1/3rd the price. My checkbook is waiting for that day. I thought the RX4 would be my ticket to adventure bikes until its weight and lack of power turned me off.. but recently test rode a Vstom 1000 and hold balls, that was fun and inspiring.. If i hadnt just bought an M109R i would have certainly spent that money on the Vstrom or something like that. Now will wait on the right used one to show up to add to my stable..
If your interested in the vstrom, you should check out the 650 before buying the 1000. I tested both bikes and yes the 1000 had more power and was faster but, the 650 is lighter and easier to maneuver and gets better gas mileage. I bought the 650 because of those things. The 650 will hold any legal speed limit in the USA and will top out in the 115-120 mph range. I’ve had mine up to 115 before backing it down and it gets there quick. The 650 would be worth a look before buying the 1000, just my 2 cents worth
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 06-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
If your interested in the vstrom, you should check out the 650 before buying the 1000. I tested both bikes and yes the 1000 had more power and was faster but, the 650 is lighter and easier to maneuver and gets better gas mileage. I bought the 650 because of those things. The 650 will hold any legal speed limit in the USA and will top out in the 115-120 mph range. I’ve had mine up to 115 before backing it down and it gets there quick. The 650 would be worth a look before buying the 1000, just my 2 cents worth
I agree, the 650 has more than enough power. The lighter weight will be easier to handle too.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-10-2022, 12:42 PM   #6

I thought about the 650 and it would definitely be the best cost option but I want to 2-up with my wife and read that the 1k is better suited for that. Have either of you guys rode a passenger any distance? If so did it feel sluggish or bottom out easy? How would you rate the passenger comfort? Thanks

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 06-10-2022, 12:47 PM   #7

I really like that article, especially in the context of casually traveling a 3rd world country.

However...I'm 6'4" --and I want pannier racks with luggage options and other useful additions that I don't have to fab all of them myself (I don't mind fabbing stuff, I just want options with an adventure bike that don't require me to always have to engineer my own solution to every problem)--and I want to go over 60mph (my riding is all in the US).
I bought a new KLR.

After riding the KLR for a few weeks, I went back to take a ride on the Hawk 250 DLX, and the DLX now feels at least a size too small for me in every category. I'm going to sell the Hawk--not because there's anything wrong with it, but simply because I can't justify having two bikes just for myself when the KLR can do everything the Hawk can do and much, much more.

Revzilla did a multi-day showdown between the comparatively priced Royal Enfield Himalayan and the CSC RX4 (Chinese adv-style bike). At the end of the lengthy review they offer the question, "but can't you fully outfit a used KLR for about the same price?" Just putting out that question says it all.

And my point to all this--if the Chinese truly want to make waves in the adventure market (and maybe they don't), they should target the KLR. Produce something that does what the KLR does for 1/2 the price. The KLR crowd is big, and they're all about the value proposition.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 06-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
I thought about the 650 and it would definitely be the best cost option but I want to 2-up with my wife and read that the 1k is better suited for that. Have either of you guys rode a passenger any distance? If so did it feel sluggish or bottom out easy? How would you rate the passenger comfort? Thanks
I haven’t rode with a passenger my bike for long distance because she doesn’t like riding anymore but when I did I couldn’t even tell I had a passenger on the bike. She’s about 138lbs though and she thought the seat was very comfortable. It has a pretty comfortable and wide seat.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 06-20-2022, 08:37 PM   #9

Given the Chinese domestic market it's very hard for them to justify anything above 250cc because anything larger is considered a 'big bike' in both physical and financial drawback terms.

With the majority of the 'big bikes' manufactured to appease a rather small western riding pool.

Once a manufacturer moves out of the domestic market the costs associated blow out and you are suddenly competing with the known brands.