Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Just go buy it and hide it in a friend's garage. It is important to have intrigue and drama in a relationship.

First two things to do when you get it:
change the shipping oil it comes with to actual 15W40 motorcycle oil
adjust the valves. Lifan says .006". Chinese factories always seem to adjust them too tight.

I'm a sex therapist. I get to deal with enough drama and don't need any more!!!

Knew about the cooking oil it comes with but the .006 and .008 I thought was something to see if it needs rather than taking all the stuff off and doing it from the get-go. Any reason it would harm the bike to wait on it?

Thanks

Old 05-18-2022, 04:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSK View Post
I paid right about $200 for the set from Chap Moto. Bridgestone had a $50 rebate at the time, so after that I paid $150. I installed them myself.

There are some cheaper options. I haven't looked in a while, but based on my past research these tires should all have sizes appropriate for the X-Pect:
Kenda K761
IRC GP-1
Shinko 244
Bridgestone AX41

I think there are continental tires that will fit, but I don't remember.

Ok, that's not bad. If you had come back and said to be prepared for $500 I'd be holding off on the purchase.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2022, 04:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Ok, that makes sense. The front is a lot easier to work on. No chain, drum, etc.

Do these have reserve tanks and a pet cock or is it just relying on the fuel gauge to know when to fill up?

Thanks!
I think every bike ever made has a reserve setting on the petcock. These do too. Maybe not 100 year old antique bikes, but still.

BTW if you run out and have to put it on reserve, you can stop, lean the bike to the left, meaning almost onto the ground, to get gas from the right side over to the left where the petcock is. The half gallon or whatever trapped on the right side is useless over there. Some bikes have a balance tube under the tank to get the right-side gas over to the left. Mainly older bikes I think, and pre-fuel gauge.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 05-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #19

Quote:
1. I'm a sex therapist. I get to deal with enough drama and don't need any more!!!

2. Knew about the cooking oil it comes with but the .006 and .008 I thought was something to see if it needs rather than taking all the stuff off and doing it from the get-go. Any reason it would harm the bike to wait on it?

Thanks
1. Good answer! By tremendous good fortune, I am stunningly unattractive, so can avoid all those sex-related relationship problems.

2. I would check it. You have to remove the two completely useless plastic tank thingys and the rear gas tank bolt, then prop the rear of the tank up with something. I use a small piece of 2x4. I leave the tank thingys off, since I hate them.
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #20

As noted by Tom, to do the valves all you have to do is remove a couple pieces of plastic, remove a bolt at the back of the tank and stick a piece of wood under the back of the tank to lift it up a couple inches. That gives you enough clearance to remove the valve cover.

My valves had basically no clearance when I checked them after around 100 miles. Maybe they were fine initially. The valves often tighten as things wear, so they may have tightened during break in.

After adjusting them it ran slightly better.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #21

Quote:
I think every bike ever made has a reserve setting on the petcock. These do too. Maybe not 100 year old antique bikes, but still.

BTW if you run out and have to put it on reserve, you can stop, lean the bike to the left, meaning almost onto the ground, to get gas from the right side over to the left where the petcock is. The half gallon or whatever trapped on the right side is useless over there. Some bikes have a balance tube under the tank to get the right-side gas over to the left. Mainly older bikes I think, and pre-fuel gauge.
So just switching to reserve isn't good enough, I have to almost lay the bike down to collect/feed the gas??

Old 05-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Other than adjusting valves and other normal maintenance, the only significant issue I remember seeing is the wire loom rubbing through and causing electrical problems. I think it happens where the wiring harness rubs on the head tube. It's constantly moving when you turn and that cuts through the insulation on the wires. Maybe a good idea to wrap that area in some further protection.

Also, my factory chain was wearing quickly, so I replaced it with a 128 link JT sealed chain. The replacement chain was better quality than the factory one.
It’s important to note that this was fixed after 2020 models. They carried the conduit all the way up into the headlamp area after 2020. I had a chance to inspect newer ones.

Felt all smart telling them what they needed to fix on their bike and it was already done. Ha ha

Tires: rather than looking through all the options which was giving me a headache, and considering the stock tires worked great for 5000 miles, I just bought the stock tires again. $85 each.

Valves: It seems some places actually do adjust them before you get them. I haven’t opened mine to look at them yet. 5000 miles. But they are due. They are overdue.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:22 PM   #23

Quote:
So just switching to reserve isn't good enough, I have to almost lay the bike down to collect/feed the gas??
No, that's just to get every last drop out of the tank. Unless you are out in the boonies, just switching to reserve should get you to a gas station no problem.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
It’s important to note that this was fixed after 2020 models. They carried the conduit all the way up into the headlamp area after 2020. I had a chance to inspect newer ones.

Huh. Your comment made me look at my 2021 model and there is plastic conduit on the wiring harness near the head tube. It's wrapped in electrical tape, so when I looked at the wiring before I didn't notice it.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #25

Quote:
No, that's just to get every last drop out of the tank. Unless you are out in the boonies, just switching to reserve should get you to a gas station no problem.

Oh ok got it. Appreciate the clarification.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #26

How easy is it to change out the halogen and switch over to an LED for a headlight on the X Pect? What all is involved in the procedure?

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2022, 05:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Huh. Your comment made me look at my 2021 model and there is plastic conduit on the wiring harness near the head tube. It's wrapped in electrical tape, so when I looked at the wiring before I didn't notice it.

Yep. That’s the part that was missing on mine. They just had bare wires kind of taped together half assed with one maybe two layers of electrical tape. It wore through very quickly.

When I went to go to show somebody I know how to fix that on their 2021, it was already done. Which really surprised me.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #28

Quote:
How easy is it to change out the halogen and switch over to an LED for a headlight on the X Pect? What all is involved in the procedure?

Thanks!
Now I'm confused on this one.... It says it comes with LED Daytime Running Lights but on youtube there was a guy saying these needed LED headlight swaps as an initial upgrade. Are these LED headlights now and in past years they weren't??

Thanks

Old 05-18-2022, 07:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Now I'm confused on this one.... It says it comes with LED Daytime Running Lights but on youtube there was a guy saying these needed LED headlight swaps as an initial upgrade. Are these LED headlights now and in past years they weren't??

Thanks

The turn signals and rear taillights are LED, but the headlight is not. Not sure if this is the same guy, but he recommends just swapping the headlight for a better halogen, not LED. But the procedure is the same:

Old 05-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hotdogs View Post
The turn signals and rear taillights are LED, but the headlight is not. Not sure if this is the same guy, but he recommends just swapping the headlight for a better halogen, not LED. But the procedure is the same:

Yup that was him. I must have clicked off before seeing the install.

Thanks