Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #16

Yeah. That’s the video I studied also. I think. I bought the 14.5 inch spoons and I actually carry them with me on remote rides. There’s a pretty nice kit on Amazon that I got. Rim protectors, three spoons, valve stem tool. I also have the real tire juice. Lol. I carry some of that with me too on the long rides.

So I think this might work. I’ll post all my swearing when it doesn’t go on later. Ha ha

I’m thinking I will heat the tire a bit also. To try to soften it. That should help a lot.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:35 AM   #17

Set the new tire out in the sun for a while. It will make it much easier to put on.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #18

If you absolutely want compact/minimal equipment for travel (either on the bike, or in your truck/van/RV) I've had good results with the BikeMaster Lift Stick, one of which I carry in my panniers on adventure rides. You can use it in conjunction with your bike's side stand to lift the rear wheel easily by just jacking up the swingarm, and very carefully you can get the front off the ground by picking up the bottom of one of the fork tubes. (Bust the axle bolt lose first, while it's still on the ground...) It's great for trail side repairs.

If you got two of them you could stick one under each side of the frame under the engine and easily lift either the front or rear wheel off the ground and have the bike be pretty secure in the process. Each one when screwed into the shortest configuration could probably fit in a Pringles tube.

For garage duty I have the Harbor Freight ATV/Motorcycle lift. It's big and heavy, but it can pick up just about any bike with a flat bottom with zero effort (so, nothing with an underslung muffler). Good for leaving in your workshop if you have one. It has no trouble picking up my Bashan Enforcer or RXB250, which means it ought to be able to handle an X-Pect just fine as well. I can also lift my Shadow 750, KLR, and RV200 with it. The only thing I can't pick up is my FZ6R, at least without removing the muffler. On anything with a flat-ish bottom on the engine or frame you can actually lift the bike and remove both wheels if you need to.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:03 AM   #19

I was unsuccessful on installing tubes three times now so I left it for a bike shop which incidentally led to another flat as I now believe they tightened the valve stem nut before the tube was centered correctly. I always had a problem with getting that last 6" of bead on the rim. Below are the recommendations I received on my thread. Hope it helps and good luck.

BTW the Harbor Freight motor cycle jack (1500 Lb. Steel ATV/Motorcycle Lift for $130) and a couple ratchet straps to steady it make it easy to get both tires off the ground. The jack has casters and can be rolled to a non intrusive space while work is being done. I have needed to take the tires off many times for bearings and such.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...highlight=flat
2018 QIYI Coolster 150cc Quad
2019 QIYI Coolster 125cc Quad
2020 Hawk 250cc (Brand New work in progress)
2021 Roughhouse 50 (neat little scooter for the wife)

I may not be fast but I am "Half-Fast"

Old 05-06-2022, 12:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Set the new tire out in the sun for a while. It will make it much easier to put on.
Sun? I think I remember seeing one of those before. Where can I find one of those??

I’m now in the freezing north. Ha ha.

I will put it in a small RV bathroom with an electric heater blasting through.

Old 05-06-2022, 02:31 PM   #21

I saw videos of guys using 5 gallon buckets. Seemed quick and simple. I don't suggest it. I used my brand new HF free bright orange bucket and the weight of my TBR7 buckled it. Luckily I saw it happening before the bike fell to the ground. I order JFG racing stand from Amazon. It comes with amazing decals and works just fine. Not an easy lift though if by yourself. Sucks getting old.
Milwaukee, WI

Old 05-15-2022, 10:54 AM   #22

I've seen a video - actually a couple of videos - on Youtube where a guy showed how to remove a wheel (same concept works for front or rear) showing how to remove a wheel from a motorcycle without a center stand. (Personally, I think that selling any motorcycle without a center stand should be a capital offense.) You simply park the motorcycle on its side stand, then affix a piece of rope (Betcha 550 paracord would be great for this) to an appropriate place on the bike and lead it to a convenient mailbox, lamp post, tree, utility pole, etc., then use the rope to tip the bike up on the good wheel and the side stand, lifting the bad wheel up off of the ground.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
I've seen a video - actually a couple of videos - on Youtube where a guy showed how to remove a wheel (same concept works for front or rear) showing how to remove a wheel from a motorcycle without a center stand. (Personally, I think that selling any motorcycle without a center stand should be a capital offense.) You simply park the motorcycle on its side stand, then affix a piece of rope (Betcha 550 paracord would be great for this) to an appropriate place on the bike and lead it to a convenient mailbox, lamp post, tree, utility pole, etc., then use the rope to tip the bike up on the good wheel and the side stand, lifting the bad wheel up off of the ground.
This is fantastic! And can be done anywhere. I don’t know why I didn’t think of this. I have used a second stick to kind of lift up the rear wheel before, and to lift up the front wheel in the past when I was trying to see if it was true or not.

That makes perfect sense to go over to any object and just hold the bike up onto the two points of contact. Brilliant.

Old 05-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
This is fantastic! And can be done anywhere. I don’t know why I didn’t think of this. I have used a second stick to kind of lift up the rear wheel before, and to lift up the front wheel in the past when I was trying to see if it was true or not.

That makes perfect sense to go over to any object and just hold the bike up onto the two points of contact. Brilliant.

One thing I forgot to mention: You need to set the "parking brake" while you do this, otherwise the bike might roll off of the side stand. What the guy recommended was, in order to immobilize the front wheel, to just take a short piece of "rope" and tie the front brake lever down. For the back wheel, of course, just put the motorcycle in gear. Anyway, you could use a short piece of velcro strap, and I was thinking that the velcro strap would hold the paracord into a neat bundle for storage when you pack back up for the road.