Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2022, 10:11 PM   #1

Crying Hawk 250 dlx downshifting issues please help

My hawk 250 won't downshift from 5th gear unless I slam down on the shifter quickly and it barely wants to downshift, it's only got 1200 miles on it can someone please help me??? I've adjusted the clutch cable, changed oil, took apart the case and shifted it manually into neutral. It shifts great from 1st to fifth but it has issues downshifting. I think this could be an easy fix please help

Old 05-04-2022, 11:12 PM   #2

This is while moving?

Old 05-05-2022, 08:00 AM   #3

Badluck's question might be key. These bikes (and many others) must be in motion to shift easily/reliably. Are you downshifting before you come to a complete stop, or are you rolling up to a stop with the clutch in and then trying to downshift through the gears while the bike is stationary?
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 05-05-2022, 10:08 AM   #4

This is while moving, I was able to downshift for a moment but I had to slam the shifter down quickly , now it's just stuck in fifth gear again.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #5

Have you tried moving the shifter up a few teeth on the shaft? Like taking it off and rotating it up a few degrees? Maybe it's set too low to fully engage without extra effort.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #6

I remember seeing a few people with shifting issues last year.

My guess is either the star wheel on the shift drum or the shift pawl is a little loose because someone at the factory didn't install the bolts properly.

It sucks and shouldn't happen, but it looks like the fix is to remove the clutch side cover and inspect the shifting mechanism under and behind the clutch basket.

There's at least one other maintenance item you can do with the cover off and that would be to remove sludge from the spinner on the oil pump, so might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Best of luck.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:13 PM   #7

Thank you guys soooo much!! My Hawk was getting stuck in 5th gear too. Took off the clutch side cover, removed the shifter shaft and pawl, and sure enough.....the end of the pawl (the part that drops down/is recessed) had a slight bend in it. This was causing the pawl to slide over the shifter sprocket when downshifting. Looked like it just wasn't stamped correctly/fully. I was going to order a new one from csc, but deciced to see if I could flatten/correct it with some hammering (because you know, when your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail). Made sure the end of the pawl was perfectly flat. Shifting smoother than ever!

Old 05-25-2022, 09:29 AM   #8

Nice diagnosis, fix. Sometimes taking it apart leads to clues!
I have a small collection of hammers, mallets and sledges. I know what you mean