Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to willardnigma Send a message via MSN to willardnigma Send a message via Yahoo to willardnigma
2019 tbr engine replacement "can't get it in"

So I'm replacing the motor on my tbr with a brand new one (old one got trashed when it was stolen)

I can't seem to get the new one into the frame, it's like it won't fit. Exact same engine (tao branded and all)

Same orientation as when I pulled the old one out, anyone have any tips before I take the head and cylinder off?

Old 04-19-2022, 06:49 PM   #2

Post up some pics... Are the front mounts the same? Sometimes you'll find a counterbalanced motor instead of the standard, which won't swap easily without cutting and welding.

What's wrong with the old motor? If it's not smoking, making noise, and it runs all right, I'd just use it as is.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to willardnigma Send a message via MSN to willardnigma Send a message via Yahoo to willardnigma
mounts are the same, I bought the exact same motor that comes with it, same mounts and all.

I think I have it. From a video i saw online of a guy replacing the motor you need to insert it with it leaning at a 45 degree angle towards the left side (if sitting in the seat, and slightly tilted forward.

Just need to rest and get my strength back up as my shoulder is killing me lol.

And yeah the old motor, I know it dropped a valve from the feel of it when I tried to turn it over. from the feel it's like the entire thing exploded on the inside. I know it took out the head, piston and cylinder. Pretty sure it got the crankshaft and who knows what else. The idiots had it laying on it's side, and then still kept trying to kickstart it (without bypassing the ignition switch. So I'm theorizing they locked it by flooding oil into the chamber and still kept going to cause it to go to the great beyond. It may be salvageable but I'd rather have a new motor that to easy my worries of something failing.

Will be giving the old one away if someone wants it for parts in the classifieds when I get back from vacation 1st week of may for anyone local to Dayton Ohio.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:36 PM   #4

wow if it wasn;t so far away i would want it, Me from Dayton Pa. Good luck with new engine. I bought a 2021 TBR7 my christmas present,1500 miles and running great.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:37 PM   #5

I think I'm just gonna have to take the head off to have room to maneuver the thing into place. just can't get it in by myself, and tried using a ratchet strap to brace it up a smidge with no help

Old 04-19-2022, 10:17 PM   #6

How did you get the old one out ?

Old 04-19-2022, 10:35 PM   #7

pulled the top towards me and then lifted out (i was on the left hand side from the riders point of view)
it's easier to get out than in, I'll tell you that

Old 04-20-2022, 12:24 AM   #8

I got it in, I took the head off, which made it easier to handle due to weight, and having more room to manuever it. The fram mounts were tight, and the front was lined up but the back I couldnt get in place due to it wanted to shift at an odd angle.

So I seated the front, Held the top rear pushing it towards the right side (from drivers perspective. I then used a rubber mallet and nudged the bottom mount over into place.

This was a blessing in disguise. At some point the engine was upside down during storage or shipping. The entire cylinder was completely filled with oil. That would have been a bad day had I attempted to start it. Goin to assemble it, and check valve lash while the head is off.

Sorry if I'm ranty, forgot to turn on the ehaust in my garage before using brake cleaner for all the oil everywhere. I wouldn't feel this lit with a half gallon of Jim Beam.

Gonna go get some fresh air.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:26 AM   #9

Sometimes you just need to take a break,then things will get better. Where did you get your new engine? And how much did you have to pay?

Old 04-20-2022, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardnigma View Post
mounts are the same, I bought the exact same motor that comes with it, same mounts and all.

I think I have it. From a video i saw online of a guy replacing the motor you need to insert it with it leaning at a 45 degree angle towards the left side (if sitting in the seat, and slightly tilted forward.

Just need to rest and get my strength back up as my shoulder is killing me lol.

And yeah the old motor, I know it dropped a valve from the feel of it when I tried to turn it over. from the feel it's like the entire thing exploded on the inside. I know it took out the head, piston and cylinder. Pretty sure it got the crankshaft and who knows what else. The idiots had it laying on it's side, and then still kept trying to kickstart it (without bypassing the ignition switch. So I'm theorizing they locked it by flooding oil into the chamber and still kept going to cause it to go to the great beyond. It may be salvageable but I'd rather have a new motor that to easy my worries of something failing.

Will be giving the old one away if someone wants it for parts in the classifieds when I get back from vacation 1st week of may for anyone local to Dayton Ohio.
I'd like to have the old motor. Want to try some experiments on the transmission.
I'm not local but I'll pay for shipping and your trouble. Any idea what it weights?
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 04-21-2022, 03:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol,fart View Post
I'd like to have the old motor. Want to try some experiments on the transmission.
I'm not local but I'll pay for shipping and your trouble. Any idea what it weights?
The new one said it was 92 pounds. I can't promise anything in it is good though. The thieves managed to hydrolock it from trying to kick start it even after flooding it. I do know it has zero compression hence why I think it did drop a valve. idk if any damage was done to the lower half of the engine but it's likely.

If you do want to pay for shipping you're free to do so, but I don't think it's worth the cost. I'll post pics up in a couple of weeks as I'm packing and prepping to head out Friday.

On a side note, I figured I was gonna have to supply my own exhaust studs as I didn't see any on the new engine. Come to my suprise they were included, at least half of them were. Broke off in the cylinder head in such a way that I'd have to mill them out, so I ordered a new head. By god I'm getting this thing running again, and when this motor gives out I'm converting it to an electric bike.

Start my new job on May 10th and I want to show up on my first day in formal attire on it.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:56 PM   #12

I tried to send a private message earlier but I don't think it worked.
Is it too late to cancel the head you ordered? I have one with 300 miles I could send you.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 05-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #13

The one I ordered had mis aligned valve seats. I go to put the rocker arm and the intake side wouldn't touch the valve.

I took apart my old engine and I found why it lost compression. Everything on the top end was fine, but the bottom end is blown to bits. crankshaft shattered and metal fragments got in everything. it ate up the tranny. it's not pretty but I was at least able to salvage the head and my bike is now running again.

Took it to the place it was stolen from on it's first ride. It's smoking like crazy which I assume is oil everywhere due to it being shipped upside down and the rings not being seated yet.

Old 05-03-2022, 11:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardnigma View Post
The one I ordered had mis aligned valve seats. I go to put the rocker arm and the intake side wouldn't touch the valve.

I took apart my old engine and I found why it lost compression. Everything on the top end was fine, but the bottom end is blown to bits. crankshaft shattered and metal fragments got in everything. it ate up the tranny. it's not pretty but I was at least able to salvage the head and my bike is now running again.

Took it to the place it was stolen from on it's first ride. It's smoking like crazy which I assume is oil everywhere due to it being shipped upside down and the rings not being seated yet.
happy you got it going. the ebay head I bought had the pilot holes for the rocker (frame ?? ) machined to small. I had to put it in a drill press and enlarge to make the dowel pins fit.
Guess I dont need your old engine, sounds like everything I wanted to play with is bad.
It may take a while to get rid of the smoke, as any liquid oil is probably siting in your cat and muffler now. Only a problem if you like your neighbors. lol
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 05-04-2022, 06:18 PM   #15

Eh, my neighbors don't mind. Majority of the people in my neighborhood are rednecks, bikers, and LGBTQ people. So I love it here.

Also, some rockers use the dowel pins, some don't.
The tt250 rockers i bought before don't use them.

By new engine didn't use them either.