Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #1

Basket Case Lifan Xpect help!!

So I sold my hawk and picked up a non running Lifan xpect 200cc efi. I think I have the engine mostly sorted just waiting on part As it has a busted stator cover. Trying to figure out some of the electronic parts. Can't get the gear indicator to read correctly. Always shows 2nd gear. Tried a different sensor same results. Headlight will only illuminate while holding the button and hi/lo doesn't seem to do anything. Found no main fuse but something that looks more like a diode under the side panel. Horn, signals, brake lights, all work, speedo illuminates and display seems normal. Does anyone know anything about these bikes? Information seems lacking. Another odd thing is the 4 bolt valve cover on the head.
Once I get it running and all the components working correctly I may dig into mods and seeing if the efi system can be tuned. Many Thanks!

Old 04-05-2022, 07:40 PM   #2

There is a manual that can be downloaded which gives a little information and also a wiring diagram although it is pretty small and hard to read but if you can find a copier that can increase it in size it will make it a lot easier to follow. I don't know what the problem with the valve cover is, just remove the seat and loosen off the bolt at the seat side of the fuel tank and pull the tank towards the seat then prop up the front of the tank with a piece of 2" x 4" and those 4 bolts and the valve cover come off easily. You may also find a small box with 2 fuses under the seat. As for the gear indicator not moving, I would tend to look inside the shift mechanism as something inside there is not moving the switch. I have a 2020 x-pect and have never had any problems.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #3

no problem with the valve.cover just found it odd. Shifter mechanism moves. Manually moving the connection around on the gear indicator sensor the dash does not respond. Maybe I'll check for the fuses you mentioned. Where an I find the manual you mentioned? I've been searching online and coming up empty.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:39 PM   #4

Sounds like a good tinkering project!

https://archive.org/details/american...age/3/mode/2up

Old 04-06-2022, 04:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstansbury@yahoo. View Post
no problem with the valve.cover just found it odd. Shifter mechanism moves. Manually moving the connection around on the gear indicator sensor the dash does not respond. Maybe I'll check for the fuses you mentioned. Where an I find the manual you mentioned? I've been searching online and coming up empty.
Not having ever had to do anything like that to my xpect because it doesn’t have problems, I’m thinking maybe you should put it all back together and then do the shifting. Manually moving it may be causing it to not work for some reason? Maybe it affects the ground? Or something else might be a little out of whack doing it by hand.

Wouldn’t hurt to double check the sensor also. Make sure it’s working with a meter before assembling it all.

From there, once you verify it works properly, you can either have the gear indicator work, or you can continue to fix knowing that you have a solid foundation to start from.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:42 AM   #6

The manual is for: MOTORCYCLE HUNIER Owner manual. Email contact@americanlifan.com and see if they can organize a download. The gear indicator grounds one of the 6 control wires to give you an indication, you could unplug that 6 wire plug and see if it still indicates and if not you could ground each of the terminals of that plug one at a time and see if the gear indicators are working. I would also take a good look at the wiring harness around the triple trees of the front forks.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:40 PM   #7

Ok got.all the lights sorted. Gear indicator still not working right shows 1-2 theN all 2nd gear for the remaining gears. Got a new stator cover for it, found some other internal damage to sort out so another parts order on the way. Hopefully I can get this heap running soon.

Old 04-11-2022, 03:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstansbury@yahoo. View Post
Ok got.all the lights sorted. Gear indicator still not working right shows 1-2 theN all 2nd gear for the remaining gears. Got a new stator cover for it, found some other internal damage to sort out so another parts order on the way. Hopefully I can get this heap running soon.
This is just a wild guess. My first thought was whatever broke the stator cover also bent the shift shaft. As I said, just a guess.
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 04-12-2022, 07:29 AM   #9

Well the cover was broken up at the starter. No idea how. I had it running for a brief time and all the gears seem to work, but the engine sounds like something is in there knocking all about. Have to do some more investigation and see what all else the tweakers did to this poor bike. I also have a broken cylinder head temp sensor that I need to find a source for.